Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valtorrez

Who do you reliably order from???

valtorrez
13 years ago

I'm going out of my element and ordering some dl's. I live in St. Louis where we have cold winters but also hot summers. What online nursery would you guys recommend. A lot of you are pro's and know who to best order from.

Comments (16)

• uroboros5
    13 years ago

Richard Norris, Jamie Gossard, definitely!!!

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

These days I mostly order directly from the hybridizer or buy on the Lily Auction. I buy northern bred. But if you do want to order southern type semi and evergreen (not saying you should) definately the best source is Maryotts. Anyone here will second that recommendation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maryotts

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Great northern hardy daylilies are to be bought at Melanie Masons North Country daylilies. She only grows hardy stock for resale and both hers and Bryan Culver intros are hardy no fuss great doers in the garden. I have many, many Mason and Culver intros both.

Here is a link that might be useful: Norrth Country Daylilies

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Karol Emmerich has stunningly beautiful intros that seem to do wonderfully all over the country. Many rebloom, look in the descriptions. Again, I have tons of Emmerich intros.

Here is a link that might be useful: Springwood Gardens

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

For those late blooming Dale Thomas intros I was telling everyone about, order from Perfect Perennials. You need to request the catalog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perfect Perennials at Hardy Hems

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I love the intros of Richard Norris. Look at his instant rebloom collection. NO BLUE OXFORDS triple scaped for me this year, is STILL blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ashwood Gardens

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

To get late and very late bloomers I definately recommend looking here. Trouble is they drop listings when they are sold out and that what happens this time of year. Late winter/early spring is a great time to look as they are in full stock. Look thou the lates and pick ones they say bloom in September there in VT. Will bloom earlier than that for everyone else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olallie Gardens

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

I order from several already listed above and I LOVE the quality of daylilies from Paul Owen's nursery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sightly different nursery

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

If you are just looking for inexpensive reliably hardy daylilies you can't beat Robin Calderons Earlybird Daylilies. This is a fabulous place to buy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earlybird Daylilies

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Thanks, Olga. I was going to list Paul Owens SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT Nursery. Fabulous quality!

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Jim Murphy and Margo Reed are so well known for Spiders and UFOs. MANY, many are late blooming, you just need to look. But I am not a spider fan and have still been able to find many that suit my taste. More open form and near bagels. But if you want to go for late bloomers this is a fabulous source.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodhenge Gardens

• valtorrez
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everybody. I definite see some plants I want to order. I especially like Olallies and Early Bird- they are in my price range. Is the auction a reliable source Rita, you said you order from them?

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

The Lily Auction is a great place to buy. But very addictive. Also you can get carried away and pay too much. Plus shipping charges can easily add up if you order here and there willy nilly. Plus while most of the sellers are at least adequate, afew are not much good and some are just absolutely fabulous. Some always give bonus, others never do. If rust is an issue watch out, not ALL gardens are rust free. In fact the very southern ones spray for rust but you can still get it.

Also just because something is listed at a particular price doesn't mean its a bargain, prices really varry on there from seller to seller. If it said it reblooms, that means in Florida, not reblooms for you.

Read the action description VERY carefully. Some are for immediate delivery, some for fall delivery which means after mid september and some only for next spring delivery. I personally would never buy something now for delivery next spring. Its like you are loaning that seller money so they can go out and buy the plant they are listing and then hope it increases. If they don't have it next spring, oh well too bad. They had had your money forever. You do get it back but like I said, like you loaned it to someone. However late in the fall and over winter it is common to list for spring and that works out well.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

And Marietta Gardens is an excellent place to buy from. Plants are healthy, bonuses good. Prices often better than you can get from the hybridizer. (But always, check. That isn't always true.)

kay

• kathy910
    13 years ago

I agree with all of Rita's comments re: the LA.

Adding a few more sites not yet mentioned:

http://ctdaylily.com/

http://www.oakesdaylilies.com/

• Boyd Banks
    13 years ago

http://www.singingoakesdaylilies.com/
    The Jeffcoats send great plants.Gene Wynn is also very good.