Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gonegardening

The Front Yard....aka My Garden

gonegardening
10 years ago

These were taken on July 1st which was a Monday. The previous weekend, we were up in Delaware for our regional meeting and in the way of gardens, of course peak bloom hit while we were gone. Ha. (Isn't that always the way?) Sunday evening, it took some 3.5 hrs just to livehead/deadhead the part I'm going to show you. Whew.

First, this is what I see when I'm outside:

My pups, Rudy and Lucy. Lucy, the lab, is probably gnawing on the windowsill (sigh). We'll start pretending you're standing on my driveway (that's part of my hubs' truck).

Then, looking slightly to the right and out...if you look toward the front, you can see how open it is (now). We lost two large redbuds (one to a storm/disease, the other we had taken out) and suddenly, my yard was open to view.

Moving around a bit more...

You can just see a bit of you-know-who (HAI)...in the bottom...so, you know where you are.

And, coming all the way around...you recognize Heavenly Angel Ice, right?

I feel a bit self-conscious here, but I'm trusting you all to ignore the dead violas that I haven't cleaned up, etc., etc.

Here's the far side, a bit better. The corner area is getting rather shady. In the direct bottom corner of the photo is a piece of the rectangular bed (made when a tree was removed) in the center of the yard. It's the first bed that will be going.

Moving down and around...

If you went down that brick path and took a little left, you'd be going downhill toward my fence and there are daylilies all over there and around the dogwood. Unfortunately, there are things like mulch bags and Jurassic weeds that I'd rather not show.

Almost finally, this bed is actually surrounded by the bricks and there is a bed behind it...directly in front of the house. Daylilies are everywhere!

Daylilies are also all over the other side of my driveway (another slope), but not ready for prime time. My backyard has zillions of seedlings and is a total wreck. Ha.

There's probably around 700 or so registered daylilies here now. I seem to stay around that number despite repeated efforts to downsize. However, it's real now and I'm expecting to get down to 300-350 within the next two years. And, possibly further after that.

Well, after I mentioned it, I thought I'd try to show you a picture of the first-to-go rectangular bed. This one mostly has daylilies, lilies, daffodils and some small spring bulbs in it. The marigolds are volunteers from last year.

So, in a rare public show from me, I thought I'd share what I really don't expect to see again. But, that's okay. It's all become too much. I don't just collect daylilies. What you don't see is that I also collect daffodils or rather did. I have way too many of those, too!

This garden was pretty much started around 1999. So, it's taken a while. It's been fun and it'll continue to be fun...just on a smaller more manageable scale.

Thanks for sharing it with me

This post was edited by gonegardening on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 17:57

Comments (12)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your beds are nicely edged, with some appealing circular paths. Growing above the bricks are little green marigolds? It's some small plant. All with nice markers too. How could one possibly see dead violas amidst all those daylilies and in pictures that size?

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

It is all so beautiful! I am very glad you shared these pictures of your garden.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Good grief, it looks very nice. Your beds look lovely. I like your two dogs watching through the window. Very cute. And you have a huge garden. I so understand the need to reduce the size of the garden, but I am removing more iris than daylilies...but some daylilies are going. It's hard though, isn't it?
    kay

• gonegardening
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There are advantages to small pictures, I suppose! I'm not sure why Photobucket is reducing them quite this small...something I am undoubtedly doing/not doing.

That's allyssum, Mantis. I always intend for it to be all the way around, but haven't made it yet. :) There's still 2/3 of a flat on the driveway. Good intentions. Last year I alternated the small creeping white zinnias with the allysum. Have a couple volunteer zinnias this year.

Thank you, Rita. High praise from someone with a wonderful garden and hardscaping I love!

It is tough, Kay. I have said for years that I would reduce, but I find now that I must. Oh well. At some point, I have to return my yard to something that someone else can care for...most likely very simple. When the time comes, I hope to move a number of things, but realistically, who knows.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I loved my walking tour through your garden. Rudy and Lucy are adorable (and great names, too -- I've had pets with the same names). The brick edging makes everything look so tidy.

I'm in the same boat as far as downsizing goes, but I think I've managed to reduce my daylilies by more than half (perhaps 400 now). If only you could clean the beds and weed once in the spring and call it good for the rest of the summer, I'd be happy to add thousands more.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

So lovely, thanks for the tour! Beautiful gardens and cute pups.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Thank you for sharing your garden pics. Always a pleasure to see other forum members gardens.
    Love the dogs in the window.

For Photobucket, you can check your Upload Options (Under the User Settings) and click on Customize Upload Options to see what size is checked. You can change the option to several options Photobucket has listed and then save your settings.

Julia

• shive
    10 years ago

Rudy and Lucy are just too cute wondering what their mama is up to out there. Your gardens are beautiful, and I really enjoyed the tour. I especially liked the beds that have brick around them. I very much understand the need to downsize. I also have around 700 daylilies and I would like to reduce the number to 350, but it's very hard to decide which ones to move out. Many of mine need to go because the neighbor's trees put too much shade in my yard. And, as I get older, weeding that much is just too hard on the joints.

Debra

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Your dogs are adorable. They look like such a sweet pair.
    You garden looks fabulous--so neat and well organized. I love touring gardens. I sure understand the need to downsize. I'm going through the same thing. I don't have as many daylilies as you, but I have more than I can handle 500+ registered and then seedlings. I'd like to get down to 300 so I'm trying to eliminate ones that I don't "love", but it's not easy.
    Val

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    10 years ago

great yard what part of Va are you in?

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Really lovely garden and I understand the need to downsize we are all guilty of getting to much but then the next pretty bloom comes along and we just have to have it.
    I to want to downsize but it's just so hard to do I keep saying I'm only going to keep the one's I really like and get rid of the rest but you know how that goes, the old well maybe I'll give it one more year and maybe I'll like it more.
    Linda

• gonegardening
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Julia. That sounds like the problem. I just went and moved it up a size; hopefully, that will fix it. You are so clever!

Well, hokierustywilliamsbu, I am in Stafford. My daughter is a Hokie (graduated a couple years ago).

The doggies are young and so quite the handful right now...especially the lab. But, they are sweet and amusing and I know will grow into wonderful dogs. Who needs that perfect wooden spoon that Lucy ate last night??

We garden folks seem to also share a love for animals (well, non-vermin-garden-wrecking-ones, that is).

Thanks so much, everyone. We all do seem to struggle with finding the right balance. It's all good, though...the whole journey from newbie to extreme collector to reality of what one truly can manage.

Plus, we can always come here and enjoy endless photos, right?