Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Enduring the Heat

mantis__oh
10 years ago

I'm surprised that blooms are as nice as they are right now. But soil moisture is still adequate.

BOUNDLESS BEAUTY Nice blooms from the start this year. Very big bud count. This is what Stamile plants are supposed to be like (but frequently aren't, at least up here).

BANDSHELL

BEACH HOUSE An old Shooter. Bloom quality is not consistent.

ALICE LAMBERTSON has bloomed over a long period here.

CASA DE JUAN Young plant, short scapes. I fear this will continue.

DRAGON KING

DREAMWORLD Lovely shade

WEBSTER'S PINK WONDER

CLARITY OF VISION

INDY FLOPPY MAMA Plant habit can be floppy too.

Huge ROMAN COHORT

ARSON takes a striking pic (not more than 5")

LIGHT OF THE WORLD also photogenic. Reality is nice too, but the picture enhances reality a bit.

RUBY LIPSTICK is not camera shy either.

BETTER THAN EVER

Comments (14)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

You have some really nice ones again today, Mantis. Well, the upside of the heat is you are seeing some, like the Stamile's, at their best. You already know the miserable downside of the heat.

Arson is a real eye-catcher. Ruby Lipstick is always a beauty. Light of the World is similar to Little Light of Mine...actually, I think it is an offspring of LLOM. I always like either of them.

Roman Cohort and Dragon King are also favorites.
    kay

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Boundless Beauty is very pretty. And nice that it has good bud count too.
    I was considering Casa De Juan, pretty face but I thought it was redder. Anyway thanks for the comments about the height.
    Lol at Indy Floppy Mama comment.
    I also like Dragon King and Arson a lot. Light of the World is one of my favorites.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

There are so,many nice ones. Ruby Lipstick and Light of the World always look good. I really like the look of Alice Lambertson. Is it as white as it looks in the picture?
    Val

• shive
    10 years ago

Arson and Light of the World are such pretty clumps! I'm glad Bounless Beauty is doing so well for you. Alice Lambertson is looking good too!

Debra

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Boundless Beauty is my pick. Do you know if it was hybridized in Florida or Kentucky? I try not to take chances on Stamile's evergreens that originated in Florida. Arson is a looker, and Webster's Pink Wonder is always appealing. Why don't I grow that one?

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alice Lambertson is indeed close to white. Boundless Beauty is an exceptional plant. Stamile was on Long Island, I believe, before he moved to Florida and before he retired. Perhaps you are thinking of Kirchhoff.

I agree that Ruby Lipstick is a very fine plant. I don't know why there hasn't been more propagation of that one. Every grower still seems to load up with the Florida evergreens.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

You really got some oretty ones today, I like BOUNDLESS BEAUTY a lot, and DREAMWORLD is a beuuty. ARSON is VERY PRETTY ONE, too.

jean

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

So many nice ones in the set, but I think I like Alice Lambertson, Arson, Boundless Beauty and Clarity of Vision the best.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Boundless Beauty is a nice whitish one. Ruby Lipstick is doing great for you with all those buds yet to open.
    Dragon King seems a bit lighter than most pics I see of it. Is this due to your temps?

Julia

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I guess I do have them mixed up. I think I just found another white/cream to add to the garden.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Love Alice Lambertson I just might have to look into that one.
    Linda

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Val, the base color of Alice Lambertson is slightly tawny. You can see that in the picture. It is not a white such as with White Perfection.

Julia, the red on Dragon King is a very accurate representation of reality right now. As I recall, the red has always been slightly rusty, but perhaps not as rosy as it is now. I googled the pics of Dragon King and was surprised at some of the bright scarlet reds. We'll see what it looks like under different conditions.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I like CASA DE JUAN. It would make a nice front row plant. DREAMWORLD is such a pretty shade of lavender.
    CLARITY OF VISION is very nice. RUBY LIPSTICK is always nice. Marg

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

They all look good but ARSON is my favorite.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz