Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Wednesday's Wealth of Blooms

maximus7116
9 years ago

This week brings some new blooms, as well as some previously posted which are strutting their stuff.

I can't stop photographing DREAMCICLE SUPREME. It has been loaded with buds this year and the color is unique in my garden:

JOAN DERIFIELD has been a blooming machine:

FRIEDA ALLEN JERRELL has come into its own this year:

PAINTED DESERT is showing its true colors:

WILLOW DEAN SMITH just started to bloom:

LONG LEGGED LAP DANCER in partial shade:

RIBBIT RIBBIT continues to bloom:

SUNRISE SUNSET BEAUTIFUL is leaving this year. It just refuses to open all the way:

PLEASE SAY YES posed as a big corsage today:

CLAUDINE'S CHARM, with all those buds, continues to show why it ranks among my top daylilies:

Chris

Comments (18)

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

wow!!!I do love that CLAUDINE'S CHARM. its a beauty.its on my wish list. WILLOW DEAN SMITH is another beauty.
    RIBBIT RIBBIT is a beauty, too, and all the reds are pretty.
    JOAN DERIFIELD is a favorite, too.you have a pile of pretties blooming.

jean

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

I just love Ribbit! Like yhe slightly different form.

Sherry

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

A beautiful bouquet of blooms today, Chris. Ribit Ribit looks wonderful. Dreamsicle Supreme is a gorgeous bloom and I really like the color. Painted Desert is lovely, and Please Say Yes is always a favorite. Claudine's Charm is perfect. You have a lovely day, didn't you?
    kay

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Painted Desert is looking very good, and Ribbit Ribbit has a lot of flair. Claudine's Charm is filled with buds.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Wow, I like every one of them. I just keep going back over them all, no way could I pick a favorite.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Wow, they are all outstanding. My picks would be DREAMCICLE SUPREME, PAINTED DESERT and of course, CLAUDINE'S CHARM.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Really beautiful group! Dreamsicle Supreme is gorgeous, wow, what a great pic. They are all so pretty really hard to pick a favorite today. Long Legged looks great, and Ribbit Ribbit makes a beautiful bouquet.

• shive
    9 years ago

Fantastic group today! I like them all. Dreamscicle has lovely form and color! Ribbit Ribbit looks like it's multiplied well for you. It makes a very pretty clump. (Maybe that's what's drawing all those little frogs to your garden :) Painted Desert is more ruffled, and the colors are blending better on it now. I can tell Claudine's Charm is going to give you a lot of those beautiful blooms.Your Willow Dean Smith, like mine, looks more lavender than pink. Mine has finished blooming now, and I really miss it. Please Say Yes is so much prettier in your garden than mine. Frieda Allen Jerrell coordinates well with that monard, too!

Debra

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone.

I'm waiting for Debra to do her annual bud count thread so I can count up the numbers for some of these bloomers. I think I have quite a few that have had their highest bud count yet.

• jkayd_il5
    9 years ago

Looks like your season is going strong. Enjoying your pictures.

• shive
    9 years ago

Bud counts were not pretty here, but I'll start the thread later today!

Debra

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

You're making it really hard to pic a favorite. They're all so pretty. DREAMCICLE SUPREME has bold color and very nice form, and Painted Desert has unique coloring that I like a lot.

Linda

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Late to post but these are great photos Chris.
    PAINTED DESERT looks very much like Curt's INCA APOTHECARY. RIBBIT RIBBIT is a blooming machine here too this year. Wow, I didn't think I would have to divide it so soon but maybe I will.
    CLAUDINE'S CHARM has been so so here. Yes, it has lots of scapes and buds but not always great opening fully on cool mornings.
    SUNRISE SUNSET BEAUTIFUL will also be on the list to leave here too. I think it would do better in a zone 7 or higher with consistent high temps versus our up and downs.
    LONG LEGGED LAP DANCER has done extremely well here but I have mine in full sun.
    JOAN DERIFIELD has been a pain in my butt this year. It has to get divided as the scapes are all on top of each other with so many buds it can't open properly. I feel like I need to pinch off many of the buds. I'll blame it on the cold winter and the generous amount of rain.

PLEASE SAY YES is lovely but DREAMCICLE gets my vote this time,

Julia

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Debra -- I'll start counting buds!

Dreamcicle Supreme has been a nice surprise this year. I was leery about planting a Florida plant this far north, but it has really taken off this year.

Julia, SSB is beautiful when it opens fully (and isn't splotchy), but I had the same problem last year. The only good blooms were the last few when the weather was much hotter. Time for it to move south.

• statmam
    9 years ago

Funny that you should use the word "wealth" because during daylily season I really do feel wealthy. Every morning during the peak, I collect a basketful of blooms in birthday cake colors to brighten my cubicle and think "How many people are lucky enough to have all this beauty right outside their door?". Hardly any. Lucky me.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Chris, and Julia, do you know anybody in the south who you can send daylilies to (that need warmer climate) or you just offer here on the forum?

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Statmam, what a great attitude! I don't pick the daylilies unless they smell great, but I may borrow your idea.

Nat, I used to offer daylilies for postage on the GW but got burned a few times, so I haven't done that for a few years. My sister lives in Pa, which isn't much further south, but I try to get her to dig up the daylilies I don't want and take them with her.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

That's a shame about GW.. I was trying to get some relatives from southern states into my yard while they were in the area this summer, to look at the flowers (and also hoping they might take some) but nobody came..

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County