Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Its Raining On Friday

newyorkrita
11 years ago

It is raining today and I couldn't work in the garden today as I had planned. Yesterday I pulled out the last of the dead pea vines and planted new peas. Planted Green Arrow garden peas, Swiss Giant Snow Peas and Sugar Star Sugar Snap Peas.

I still have Norli, Super Sugar Snap, Mammouth Melting, and Cascadia Peas to plant. I seem to have two packs of Mamouth Melting, one said Snap Peas and the other said Snow Peas so I am confused. Better not plant those two together.

Today I had planned to pull out the Spanish Musica beans, which were new for me this year, and plant peas there instead. Those beans were aweful. Tough and I didn't like the taste at all.

Not like the Yard Long Beans that I just love. I have been saving up yard longs till I had enough to eat and I had them for dinner last night. They were SOOO good. I lightly sauteed them in some olive oil with chopped garlic. Added some dried onion flakes and a few red pepper flakes. Sweet and tender and I LOVE the flavor. If you ask me these are much better than string beans.

Great dinner of grilled steak and grilled green fried tomatoes with the beans side dish. I had the green tomatoes because some fell off my vines from the horrid weather.

Here is a picture of some Yard Long Beans after I picked them. You can see that they are about 18 inches long.

The porch tomatoes picture taken yesterday showing that they flatten on top, ha-ha. But they are perking up already and heading back up. I did have to cut back afew broken branches but mostly they are fine.

The old tomato garden was all leaning toward the driveway. Those winds were blowing that way the other day. I had to push them back and fix them.

But tomatoes are doing good. Here are some more tomatoes I picked with a Yard Long Bean and measuring tape to show size. They are (left to right) Whopper, Superfantastic, Sungolds, 2 Early Girl and some 4TH OF July.

The Whopper and Superfantastic. My biggest tomatoes so far this year.

Portulacas don't care, they look great.

Ollallie Gold Rim next to some Four O'Clocks.

My pictures are from yesterday when I was working on cleaning up the yard from all the sticks and leaves around the yard.

Comments (18)

• shive
    11 years ago

I've never heard of yard long beans, but they sound interesting. Glad to know your tomato plants weren't messed up too badly by the storm. Olallie Gold Rim and those portulacas look so pretty!

Debra

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Rita. You still have a lot of nice tomatoe plants and the bushes in fron t of the porch is full of tomatoes, and I see a red on in it too. lOve the Portulaca, so pretty. and love that red daylily. Gorgeous.,What did you call that "sack" that you have tomatoes planted in?I have hunted for that post where you said what its called, but cant find it.

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debra, the Yard Long Beans are new for me this year. Before that I had never heard of them either.

Jean, that sack is called PATIO GROW BAG. Ask me they should have told people it is a sack, ha-ha.

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Well, I am ready to eat yard-long beans since your description of the way you cook them sounded so good. I should have taken a pic of the huge tomato we had with the hamburgers tonight, but it is gone--in the tummies. My husband will only grow Better Boys, so that's what this one was, and if we get another biggie, I will post a picture. Love Ollalie Gold Rim and your portulacas are pretty. Avedon

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Avedon, I am growing BETTER BOY tomatoes also. And BIG BOYS. But neither has any ripe ones yet.

You can cook any of the pod beans the way I did it. I have BLUE LAKE pole beans (string beans) and you can cook them the same way. I have been growing Blue Lake for years but honestly, I like the yard long beans better. More tender and sweet.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Don't be greedy. Send that rain where it is needed! Ask Jean, I know she needs it.

Beautiful veggies today, and your portulaca is lovely as always too. The beans are quite a novelty. It is good that they are tasty too. Gold rim is looking good. Hey, green tomatoes are a delicacy at any time. Sounds good. what time is dinner tonight?
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Honestly, it rained much of the night and then has been raining all day. I really wish I could share.

Since it was raining and I couldn't be out in the garden I had gone to the grocery store instead today. So no cooking tonight as I bought a roasted chicken and some potatoe salad which was dinner.

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Love the YLB's, tomato's and the Portulacas. Yard long beans are delicious. We had a storm last night and drew nearly 2" of rain. I am so happy for it.. Now I don't have to drag the hose around for a while...Ellie

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Love the YLB's, tomato's and the Portulacas. Yard long beans are delicious. We had a storm last night and drew nearly 2" of rain. I am so happy for it.. Now I don't have to drag the hose around for a while...Ellie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ellie, hurray for rain. And honestly I wish I had discovered Yard Long Beans years ago. But no matter as I have discovered them now and I love them.

For anyone wondering Why they are called Yard Long Beans since I am showing them at about 18 inches, it is because you pick them young. They do grow to great length, like a yard but if you leave them they are no good for eating. You want them young and tender.

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Your veggie photos are making me hungry. I'm a long ways away from eating tomatoes here. You've inspired me to put in a raised vegetable bed for next year because of all your photos, and I'm definitely doing the cucumbers in a pot. Thanks, Rita!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, I am glad to get you veggie gardening! I am all for fresh grown veggies. And believe me if I can find room in my crowded garden for veggies, anyone can.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I'm definitely growing some yard long beans next year!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats the way, Nancy. Find a spot and add some veggies. Remember the Yard Longs need something to climb. If you only plant one type of Yard Long I am thinking Asparagus Bean might be the best one.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today I got back working on my planting peas projects. First I tore out all the Spanish Mucica pole beans as I need the space for peas. Wouldn't have torn out beans for peas but I tried these beans for the first time this year and hated them. From now on will stick to Blue Lake Pole Beans which I am also growning.

Anyway, planted SUPER SUGAR SNAP and MAMMOTH MELTING SUGAR where those beans used to be. Then I planted NORLI peas in another spot. I still have CASCASIA SNAP and MAMMOUTH MELTING SNOW PEAS that are not planted yet and I don't have any engery left to do them today.

I also need to finish giving the tomato plants Netunes liquid Seaweed Fertilizer as I did most of them the other day but ran out of Neptunes before I finished. My new supply came but of course yesterday it was raining all day so I didn't get it done yet. Should do it now. Maybe if I can get up some enery.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to say that today I picked lots of tomatoes. Or at least lots compaired to the days before. I had enough to give some to two different neighbors so I guess that means tomato season is definatly under way. I have a batch that started cracking from all this rain but I will just eat those up myself. I usually cut them up for tomato salad.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I've made a note of the asparagus beans, Rita, thanks. I think that is the only variety of yard long beans I've seen available around here, so that will make it easy.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Yard Long Beans (well all types of beans really) are so easy to start from seed. Wait in the spring to start them until night time temps stay ABOVE 55 degrees for a night time low. These things are tropical and love the heat.

I bought my seed at Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. They have a great selection of Long Beans. Also some nifty asian cucumbers if anyone is interested in those!

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Beans at Baker Creek Seeds