Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

A long season and an FFO still

organic_kitten
10 years ago

I have been very busy canning and making pickles lately. Jellies, Jams and pickles. I took photos, but haven't posted in 4 or 5 days, so I will post some of the best from that time.

FFo today, Berry Cheesecake. It is still in the pot:

Abilene Lillian looks a little more like I expected:

Last blooms on Indian Ripple:

Ledgewood's Jungle Music is much prettier on rebloom:

Desperado Love twins:

Last blooms on the wonderful Philistine Champion:

Last bloom on Wall of Fire:

I Wanna Piranha looks pretty good:

Crazy Ivan just keeps blooming:

And here is one of my Mortgage Lifter heirloom tomatoes. It was a good five inches:

kay

Comments (12)

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

WOW> makes my mouth water to see that nice big tomatoe. a very nice big one, too.I grew some in pots and they didn't get as big as they usually do.course,I been growing them in pots for years.Mine has come to a end now.The cucumbers are almost at a end too.but, was nice whle they lasted.sure sounds like you have been very busy.Fresh produce from the garden is hard to beat, , so much better then store bought.
    The daylilies are gorgeous.I Love Berry Cheesecake., so pretty.Desperado Love is my favorite of them.

jean

• shive
    10 years ago

What a nice long bloom season you've had! Crazy Ivan and Wall of Fire are looking grand! I just noticed a rebloom scape coming on Golden Prize, which has never rebloomed that I can recall. Kentucky Lucky, which is not supposed to be a rebloomer, has four rebloom scapes. So there will be a little color here in August.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jean. You always are so nice to hear from, since you make us feel good. Those tomatoes taste wonderful too. I planted four types, and it has had the biggest and the best flavored tomatoes of the bunch. I should take a picture, since I planted it in my front flower bed. It is huge by far the largest plant. My neighbor is just a wonderful neighbor.
    Thanks, Debra. It sounds ungrateful, but this season has been a little longer than is comfortable. I cannot seem to just let them bloom without taking pictures. It has been an odd rebloom year with some reblooming that never have before, and some very reliable ones just not reblooming.

Purple Honey Creeper has a third set of scapes up. Several others have scapes that haven't started reblooming yet. Fernstone was the first daylily to bloom here and it bloomed on May 7th. That means I will have had daylilies blooming for at least three months this year. There were a dozen blooming today.

I think I wound up with 79 reblooming this year...unless another one puts up a scape. I am going to post no more than twice a week now until they are finished.

kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

awwww.I am going to miss all your beautiful pictures as well as Kays. too and mine is about finished too.I still have a few scapes sticking u with buds.PANDORA"S TREASURE BLOOMED ITS FIRST rebloom flower today, but it was really jammed in between some other buds,and didn't look that great, all smashed.The color was fantastic, but, was crammed between some other buds.

jean

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Nice Mortgage Lifter! I have that one planted this year, so you'll have to give me a preview to let me know how it tastes. Your reblooms are terrific, and I love that blue eye zone on the Jungle Music.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Beautiful daylilies, I especially like Indian Ripple, Crazy Ivan, Abilene Lillian and Wall of Fire. Your season is indeed long, wow.
    That tomato looks huge :) We planted whole 6 tomato plants this year, usually it's 2, but not a lot of fruit, 2-3 here and there and they are still very green.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Well, Kay, because of your posts, I picked up Philistine Champion. Hope I am not disappointed. Indian Ripple is very reliable here and a vigorous Dougherty grower.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

There's nothing like a home grown tomato. Mortgage Lifter is a beaut. .....I like Crazy Ivan. As a rule I'm not much on whites, but Crazy Ivan, with it's deep purple eye/edge is most appealing. I bought two very small plants of Indian Ripple this spring, and they both managed to spit out 1 bloom each. Both were not exactly the color I had hoped they would be. Not as much yellow in the throat, just mostly a solid orangy gold color. Of course 2 FFO blooms does not a season make, so I will be anxious to see what next year holds. I'm hoping for the colors that you show.....Maryl

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Maryl, the yellow throat of Indian Ripple can vary here, but it is never primarily a solid color. Here it is in Ohio.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris, i am sure you will be pleased with the flavor of Mortgage Lifter. It's a really good one. thanks, Nat4b. there are still some pretty ones blooming. Mantis, since Phil Korth breeds for Northern growers, I can't imagine Philistine Champion not doing well for you.

Maryl. Crazy Ivan is a very pretty and dramatic bloom. It reliably reblooms here. Hopefully your Indian Ripple will color up to suit you next year. Mantis, that is a lovely bloom of Indian Ripple.
    kay

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

That tomato looks delicious and big enough to be a meal by itself! I relaly like the color of Abilene Lillian. My favorite is Wall of Fire. Love the color and the watermark.
    Val

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

All are lovely Kay. Can't pick a favorite on this group as I like them all. PHILISTINE CHAMPION really puts out the blooms though.
    Love the tomato pic too ;-).

Julia

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting