Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Catching up on Sunday :-)

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

Got most of my photos done early today and uploaded them. So here is what is blooming today

MAGIC OF OZ - bought this last fall and not disappointed with it. Very tall scapes, lots of buds.

INTELLIGENT DESIGN - The taller scapes started bloom and three opened this morning.

Just for comparison, MAGIC OF OZ towers over INTELLIGENT DESIGN.

In the same bed area, RIBBIT RIBBIT opened today. First pic looks like they are dancing but then when I came around again, I noticed the petals/sepals starting to flatten down. Very tall scapes and loaded with buds. Increased from 2 to 4 fans since I planted it last spring.

MOONLESS NIGHT - one of the hardest photos to take before the sun starts to hit it. I couldn't figure out when I first looked at the pic what the whitish specks were. When I zoomed in, it was sun hitting the raindrops from the rain we had early this morning. Another good increaser, many scapes and buds this year. One of my darkest daylily.

AVALONIA QUASAR - planted last year but no blooms. So first time blooming here. Not a bad looking flower and I'm thinking to move this one down by JAMAICAN LOVE.

Which I will sneak in another pic of JAMAICAN LOVE because again, it greeted me with multiple blooms.

ONLY ONE DAY - planted last year so can't assess it yet and first time blooming. Looks like a couple of my other daylilies so I may decide to part with this one.

DESERT SHORE - I've had this one a couple of years now and got it when I got Stealth Bomber, Black Falcon Ritual and a few others from Curt Hanson. Not a good increaser or many scapes and buds but it always has good garden presence. Opens perfectly.

GRASSHOPPER - I got this last year and it didn't bloom so this is its first opening. I'm disappointed. The flower should be at least 5.5" and as you can see it is barely 3.5". I'm hoping for better blooms otherwise out it goes.

One of my favorites (and yes, I have many) is FANCY FACE. I am just mesmerized by the colors in this flower. It is not a big budcount but I will keep it.

I'll stop here as I'm overloading again. But first have to post some pics I took of HALF MOON KEY this morning.
I can't get all the open blooms in one pic but you can see why.

Will post more tomorrow.

Julia

Comments (12)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lots and lots of pretties. Especially that first one. I love INTELLIGENT DESIGN and it is my favorite today.

• User
    10 years ago

Juliany, Your photo of Moonless Night really captures the cark color of both the flowers and the red streaked buds. Very nice. Fancy Face is adorable and I just had to add Jamaican Love to my lust list. Thank you.

This post was edited by hostabuff on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 19:08

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I like Magic of Oz and Ribbit Ribbit, and Fancy Face is a beauty. always love clump shots, and Half Moon key is my pick today.
    kay

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

They all look great, but the clump shots of Jamaican Love and Half Moon Key are my favorites.
    Val

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow Juolia, HALF MOON KEY is a beauty. I love that one.
    ONLY ONE DAY is a beauty, too. as well as that purple one,GRASSHOPPER. I think it is. so pretty.

jean

• sann777
    10 years ago

I love them all, especially that dark one, Moonless Night. I would have to say my favorite is Half Moon Key. Beautiful color! Sarah

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Another Wow on Half Moon Key. Great shot of a nice clump. I'm also drawn to the color on Avalonia Star. Very rich looking. I like the color on Grasshopper too, and hope the size improves for you....Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. HALF MOON KEY has that color of pink that I just love. Same as NO MORE TEARS. Love them both. And JAMAICAN LOVE is just wowing me this year.

Got to get back outside and finish some work we started yesterday. Weather is holding today, ie no rain, just clouds rolling in and out so far although a couple of times we thought we would have a downpour. Might feel good to have cool rain drenching us. LOL

Julia

• shive
    10 years ago

I always love Intelligent Design photos. I'd love to add that one at some point. See anything of mine you like? Maybe we could arrange a trade. Your photos of Ribbit Ribbit looks so much like my Carolina Cool Down does this morning. I looked them up and it would appear they're sibs.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I appreciate all the information. Love the clump of Jamaican Love, and Half Moon Key is no slouch either.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

My favorite is the clump of Half Moon Key, I love that shade of pink too. Only one day is very pretty. Intelligent Design is one of my favorites, it's tall big and I like the.. design :) Avalonia Quasar is pretty, and Grasshopper remided me of Night Beacon. Hope it'll get to its registered size

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

AVALONIA QUASAR is going to look really nice beside JAMAICAN LOVE - a real eye catcher. HALF MOON KEY is also very pretty but I have to admit that INTELLIGENT DESIGN is my favorite. Marg