Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

At long last.....Daylily season has begun!

celeste/NH
10 years ago

I am trying to keep up with all the posts you all are sharing every day but may not be able to respond to each because I'm so busy, busy lately it's ridiculous. It rains here pretty much non-stop (for the past 2 weeks) and if it's not raining it's sweltering heat and I'm out there trying to eliminate all the thousands of weeds, slugs, and japanese beetles that have taken over my yard. Then of course I have a new grandbaby living in my home, who is extra-cute and I have to snuggle with him any time I can get him away from his mama...lol. The other 2 little grandsons are here a few days a week, and then of course there's my mom who needs constant care. (Plus DH & Tiffany). After burying Lily last week I
felt very lost and sad but I wanted to make sure you all knew that your words of comfort helped me so much.

All this rain ruined my roses and brought out multitudes of insects. It also causes some splotchiness on the daylily blooms but the great thing is I haven't had to drag the hoses around from garden to garden yet this summer! I know some of you are very dry and wish you had rain and it's too bad we can't SHARE because I would gladly give you some of mine. I'm enjoying everyone's posts!

Celeste

We had a break in the rain yesterday so I got out with my camera and started snapping away before the torrential downpour started....here are a few things blooming:

Screen Pattern

Scarlet Pimpernel

Swirling Spider

Lil' Red Wagon

Terry Lyninger, ffo (not great, but most of the clump died over the winter and I was left with just one fan)

Delphiniums

Tropical Trails, ffo in the rain

Here I am with my 'bundle of boys'......

{{gwi:883521}}

Mystic Mariner

NOID purple with asiatic lilies

I have lots more photos I took and will do another post a.s.a.p. so I don't get too far behind! Thanks for looking.

Comments (14)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Those Delphiniums are so pretty. And you are looking great there with all the cute kids! I just don't know how you manage all that you do. Not to worry, we know that you are extra busy.

The daylilies are beautiful. My favorite is Lil' Red Wagon, I just love that saturated red color.

• shive
    10 years ago

Celeste - You look very happy there with your three handsome grandsons. They are all cuties, but the older one has an especially sweet expression. As the for the daylilies, I love the eye on Screen Pattern. Lil' Red Wagon stands out with its vibrant color and round, ruffled form. But I think my favorite is that purple NOID with the yellow Asiatic lilies. Those colors together just make me happy!

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Celeste, Aren't you the pretty one. Lovely little boys too. I am glad your daylilies are blooming. You know we southerners get a case of the grumpies when we see those gorgeous delphiniums. We can't grow them so of course, we really want to grow them.

Screen Pattern or Mystic Mariner are my favorites.
    The rotten Japanese Beetles are gone from here finally after shredding my second mini flush of roses. I know what you mean and sympathize about the bugs, insects and weeds. Looking good and enjoy life...it passes.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Happy flowers, but none so happy as the look on your face. Royal delphiniums--they can't love the heat.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Celeste, I'm amazed at all you get done. You look so happy and young with your grandsons. Mine will be here for a week starting tomorrow and I know I won't get much done other than enjoying them and that suits me just fine.
    Your daylilies look fabulous in spite of any bugs. My favorites are screen pattern and the NOID. We haven't had any rain since I got back from my mothers and I'm having to drag hoses again.
    Val

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

well, you do look happy sitting there with the 3 grandsons.I think you need to grow another knee :))they are all cuties.and in spite of all the rain, bugs and everything else, your blooms look fantastic. all of them. I can sure feel your sadness about LILy. Istill miss my kitty so much, too, miss Blackie was always close by waiting for me to come out. I would hardly ever see her when I stepped outside, but after a few steps,she would be walking along beside me, then she would run ahead a few steps and lay down in front of my feet, waiting to get petted, which she got a lot of that. I sure did love that cat,and she knew it,t oo,I believe.and when she first came here, she was nothing but skin and bones and I couldn't get near her. took months before I could finally touch her, and when she learned that I would not hurt her, then she was by my side every time I went out the door.those lilies are so pretty, I love lilies.

jean

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANK YOU all for looking and taking the time to comment!
    Guess what it's doing again today? Rain & thunderstorms! Parts of my yard are still under water and I feel like I need a rowboat to get around....lol.

Debra, how astute you are to observe that Connor is a real sweetie by his expression. Yes, he is very sweet and gentle-natured. He is the spitting image of my son and has his quiet and thoughtful personality. He just turned 3 and being the first grandbaby, he's the apple of my eye!

Jean, yes I do feel so much heartache for losing Lily and I know you feel the same about Ms. Blackie. I felt so sad for you when you lost her because she was so sweet and such a good buddy for you. It never goes away, does it? I feel so empty when I am in my garden now because she's not there. I do take comfort in my loyal and loving Zeus, who is always there for a cuddle.

Thanks again, daylily friends!

Celeste

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Wow, Celeste, you are beautiful! Cute boys :)
    Congrats on the beginning of daylily season, they are all pretty and opened well. My favorites are Scarlet Pimpernel and Lil' Red Wagon, which looks so velvety in the pic.
    Delphiniums are nice but I don't like that sometimes the stems are not sturdy enough and they fall down.
    Oh, and it's so nice that Terry Lyninger's one fan survived, and even sent a scape! I have several 2-3 yo that only have one fan left, and no scapes.
    And, I asked on another thread but it was too late, so I'll ask again. Can you please tell me which ones you lost over the winter?

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Nat! :) I agree about delphiniums....they're one of my favorite flowers except that whenever we get heavy rain & wind, down they go! Right after I took that picture they ended up in the mud. I have too many plants to stake everybody. So, I didn't lose as many daylilies as I originally thought. It took forever & ever for Rapid Eye Movement, Born to Run, Siloam Cinderella and Terry Lyninger to show signs of life. They each came up in mid-June! All appeared as single, pitiful fans but at least they're alive. I was about to plant something else in their places when they appeared. The two that are definitely DEAD are Navajo Princess and Berry Cheesecake. I dug and they were nothing but mush. Both were pretty but I won't replace them. Prior to this past winter I had never lost a daylily so I guess I should consider myself lucky. I do have a couple of daylilies that dwindled down from clumps to just a few fans, though. It wasn't a good winter for roses either.

Celeste

• User
    10 years ago

The boys are adorable. I can appreciate why you are so busy. Scarlet Pimpernel is such a great color purple and I really like your Screen Pattern. Thanks for sharing.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Thanks for answering Celeste! What you describe is exactly what happened here, wow. I too never lost a daylily before, and too have those that dwindled. A lot of them were sick last year too, what they call Midwestern malaise, that looked like rot. Mostly all those are one fan now. Among them, yes, Navajo Princess. I probably wouldn't bother replacing mine had it died too. I remember Berry Cheesecake, wanted it too but never got.
    Well, I guess it adds to experience..

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Yahoo it sure is nice to see your blooms. I just wish I had your energy to keep up with everything that you have going on in your life. Your grandson's sure are cute.
    Linda

• Nancy
    10 years ago

What a beautiful armful of boys you have there, a great photo! I'm sure they do keep you busy, but what fun. Screen Pattern is beautiful, I love that pattern on it. This was the first season for Screen Pattern here, & while I thought it looked great, it didn't look that good. Lil'Red Wagon looks gorgeous.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Scarlet Pimpernel sure is nice quite dramatic with the white midribs against the dark petals. Lil' Red Wagon is a nice red. The last picture is very nice. Love the family photo. Marg