Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

What a mess. Project pictures.

newyorkrita
11 years ago

I am still working out there. Dug and moved Fancy Face from the first row, and dug and moved (replanted) LOTUS POSITION and BUTTER DISH. Then I went along the rest of the row and lifted all the rest (except for one) of the clumps of daylilies along in there which were in the second row. I just have them sitting around in the shade along with the iris that I dug out yesterday.

Here is the section of driveway side garden being worked on. Lilies in back staying put. Used to be a double row of daylilies along in there. Now there is a mess, ha-ha.

Here is a lot of clumps (iris and daylilies) that need to be replanted. On the daylilies I was able to mostly get them compleat with soil so they can be replanted more easily.

Now WHY did I have to dig up all these daylilies along there? Because I have some tomato seedling new that I had to find a spot for in the garden somewhere! I really should make this area into an iris garden but for now, tomatoes are going along there in front.

Cucumber row. I was working up here yesterday.

Here are my posts and string tied for the cukes to climb up.

This is the back view and along at the bottom of the fence posts is were I dug out the iris clumps yesterday.

Comments (21)

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Better hope the weather doesn't turn hot. But the East Coast has been spared much of the heat wave. You'll have a steady supply of tomatoes yet in September.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Goodness, it is a mess ;-). Isn't that what gardening is all about?
    We are anticipating very hot and humid weather starting on Friday through the early part of next week. Rain showers are promised for several days with humidity therefore it should be another wicked weather ride.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was taking advantage of the good weather while it is here. Have to get those daylilies replanted tomorrow. I seem to be moving things each summer even in the heat. So far so good.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

What a big job in the heat.
    kay

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I don't know how you do it all, I'm just too lazy I guess. Your garden always shows the work you put in it though. You are definitely gonna have veggies there, yum! I just got in from picking over a gallon of blueberries. Doesn't seem like all that much for how long it took me to pick, but it is tedious. I think I'm going to make jam with this pickin'.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I must admit it looked a lot better with all the daylilies in there before I started digging. I am out of options to make new gardenbeds, no room. So sometimes something has got to give.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I agree with you RITAjean

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Well Rita, I don't think it looks that bad. I am going to do a major job but I am waiting for my sister to come up from Fl. She is going to help me reset my big dl patch. I can't wait until I can get it done.. I love cucs...Ellie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have that last daylily clump there off to the right (late blooming) that I just hate to loose the bloom on so we will see. I will just busy myself replanting the ones I alreafy lifted. Have to do the iris too.

Jean, you know I get into projects and it all looks good when finished.

Ellie, It seems like any time I think up a project I have to go work on it right away as I just can't wait LOL!

• vikingcraftsman
    11 years ago

Plant sale.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Viking, too funny. I can just see myself with a card table set up at the end of the driveway selling plants.

Don't worry, I have a plan and vision in my mind of how it should turn out when done.

I haven't done anything today yet but should be able to get all the daylilies replanted. Then I will have to figgure out were to put the iris.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

RITA, You dug up all them plants to make room for MORE tomatoes? you cant possible eat all them tomatoes you are going to have on the 48 bushes you alrady have.unless of course, you plan to can some or freeze them for some thing later.You are going to have tomatoes by the Bushell Baskets full.

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, just when have I ever done anything in moderation LOL? I was thinking of planting tomatoes back there but my plants arrived sickly in the mail and I tossed them. So no more tomato plants this year. But I did think it over and decided I wanted to stick with the plan of making a veggie area in there.

By removing the first row of daylilies which were all the same (Fancy Face) and replanting some of them elsewhere I could move the second row forward to the very front of the bed. Yesterday I dug everything out of there and today am replanting the new first row. That leaves room between the daylilies in front and the rows of mostly RED ALERT lilies way in back along the fence. I am going to leave that space for veggies. Really cottage garden what with flowers and veggies all sharing space.

So the first now in front are now CAT SCRATCH, INCESSANT, NORTHWIND LARRY, NORTHWIND CURLY JOE, NORTHWIND MOE, GOLLY GALORE and TALL ANNIE. That actually used to be the second row but I changed the order in line they are planted in. So I will have daylily bloom in front like always and veggies, then the rows of lilies in back.

Working on it now, not quite done yet.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I finished replanting the daylilies and the section of driveway side garden is now ready for veggies in the middle. I like the way it turned out and am very pleased with myself.

I have already ordered lots of pea seeds (mostly sugar snaps and Snowpeas) for a fall crop so I have decided that this would be the perfect place to plant some. Perfect as in empty and I can plant there ha-ha.

I do just love sugar snap peas. I just go out into the garden and stand there, pick pods and eat them. It has been years since any made it into the house. But maybe if I plant more some just might.

I found 4 nice red ripe tomatoes on my BETTER BUSH so I picked them. Might have one on a sandwich later or on my hamberger that I intend to cook for dinner.

So now I have 6 cumps of iris to replant, one I already did replant. Pretty much have decided were they will go so that is the really hard part around here. Finding space ha-ha. I guess that is tomorrows project as I am out of steam for today.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Well,I dont think I have ever seen any SUGAR SNAPS AND SNOW PEAS. Guess that is northern eats. I ofund that folks in illinois didnt know what purple hull peas was, or cornbread that was not sweet, too.I was born and raised in Illinois but left there as a teenager, and only went back once since then, when my grandma passed away.But, foods we ate there when I was growing up, folks in the south had never heard of ..I just bet everything is beautiful now, like it always is after your projects are finished.I hope the daylilies keeps on blooming and dont stop after being moved.OH thats wonderful that you are getting a few nice ripe tomatoes, to eat, now.I know you will injoy them so much,mainly since you grew them yourself.Home grown tomatoes taste so much better then store bought one. I just dont like the store bought ones. I pulled 3 red ones off my patio tomatoe plants.Next year, I plan to go back to the larger tomatoes. These are ok, but, not all that big.Last year,I raised beefsteak tomatoes and a slice would cover a hamburger bun. then I planted one little tomatoe that is a little bigger then a marble, very small maters, and I got a few of them, before the deer found them and ate them all in one night.and that bush had beeen just loaded with little tomatoesAIn't gardening fun,even if it is lots ofwork.

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, SUGAR SNAP PEAS are very sweet, you eat them pod and all. I love them. Snow peas I had only had frozen until I planted my own this spring. You eat the pods before the peas develop. Both are really yummy.

I will take pictures of what it looks like now when I get to it. But as far as blooming, they are not gonna bloom. I cut the folliage way back and I cut off all scapes. I had too as I could not get undisturbed root balls the way one can often do in the spring.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

aww, thats a shame RITA that thos daylilies wont bloom nnow. After you moved them. but you do have alots of them blooming elsewhere.I will be very happy to see the pictures of it all now that you have done major moving job again.I do think you like digging in the dirt :))

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The FANCY FACE were done blooming already so nothing lost there by cutting bloomed out scapes. The others were blooming now but I had to cut back folliage to help with transplant shock. Unfortunatly CAT SCRATCH is a late bloomer and hadden't even started yet. Oh well, I do have plenty of other blooms.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I am happy as I got done what I absolutely had to get done and the iris I dug out a few days ago to put up my cucumber trellis are replanted in new spots. Poor iris were not looking so great. I guess they didn't like living under the cucumber plants that had sprawled on top of them. But I cleaned them up and got enough to replant so I know they will grow again as iris tend to do. So unless I dig something else up I don't have anything to replant currently. And I don't plan to dig up anything else. At least not right now LOL!

So need to mulch all the worked on areas with some straw to keep down the weeds but that is fairly easy. Need to get some pictures too.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

well, I would think it will take a few days now for the iris and daylilies to look frisky again, after being pulled up from thier home and put in a new place.need time to ajust to the new place.Now I just bet that after you rest up a few days, you will be out loooking for some thing else to move to make room for another veggie to grow:)have you planted your Broccoli yet for your fall garden> Thats what I want to see pictures of, Broccoli growing. have never seen any in a garden.I but big bags of frozen broccoli, and fixed me a little bowl full yesterday with cheese on it...

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plus they were all cut back the way they are when they are shipped. So need to grow out their leaves. But I am sure they will be fine.

It is supposed to get hotter again so I don't want to be into a project in the worst of heat which is why I needed to get finished now.

My brocoli seedlings are in ground but very small yet. I will take pictures when they get big enough that you can actually see them LOL!