Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waitforspring2

Singles and twins on the 4th

Waitforspring
10 years ago

Here are a few close ups from today's collection.
Val

Love this flower, but the scapes are too short.

This one always seems to open perfectly.

Big flower and tall scapes.

A favorite

Another favorite

Looking way better than yesterday/

Comments (21)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Lots of pretties but I gotta say FULL MOON MAGIC is a stunner. My favorite.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Lots of pretties, but Tequila Mockingbird is my choice of thiese. What a beauty!
    kay

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I like the flower on Tequila Mockingbird, but not the registered 22" scape. Destined to See is indeed wonderful.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Love Tequila Mockingbird, but the short scape keeps me from buying it. Full Moon Magic looks absolutely perfect. Very nice color on Fern Stone.

• Waitforspring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita and Avedon- Full Moon Magic has been an excellent plant for me.

Avedon and Mantis-- I just went out and measured Tequila Mockingbird and the scapes were 28". I don't know if that's just this year though.

• shive
    10 years ago

So many beauties lighting up the 4th of July! I agree about Full Moon Magic never having a bad hair day. It always opens perfectly rain or shine. My favorites are Skyhooks, Delta Force and Tequila Mockingbird.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Wow, nice group. Fernstone is so pretty but Tequila Mockingbird has my going and looking it up.

Julia

• User
    10 years ago

Very nice. I especially lover Fern Stone and Tequila Mockingbird!

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

oh me, you really have some beauties.FULL MOON MAGIC is a beauty.Belle of AShwood IS MY FAVORITE., also likeFERN STONE too. gorgeous blooms.

jean

• nat4b
    10 years ago

They are all beautiful, Tequila Mockingbird is very interesting, love Fern Stone too, and Belle of Ashwood, and Full Moon Magic is very very pretty too.
    Interesting I looked up stats for TM and it's registered at 32 inches.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting such great eye candy, I'll take one of each.
    Linda

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

TEQUILA MOCKINGBIRD gets my vote today!

Registered height can be misleading....depending on the environment. Yes, some cultivars will never bloom well above the foliage. But suddenly this year, I've never seen so many tall scapes. What a dramatic change I've witnessed -- and can only speculate as to what brought it on.

I've had one diploid seedling start out chest-high the very first year of bloom, and 4-5 years later it is down to lower than average. I want to register it this year, but have no clue as to height since it changes from year to year.

Nancy

• lynxe
    10 years ago

How long have you had DELTA FORCE, Val? Reason why I ask - I have a really nice clump that I apparently planted last summer. (I say "apparently" because I have ZERO recollection of ordering it, winning it, being given it, finding it by the roadside...so odd.) Anyway, it came here as a decent-sized clump. I have it planted in what I think are ideal conditions: a new bed composed of mushroom soil primarily, in full sun, naturally very wet. It put up something like 5 scapes and, when it bloomed, it was -- and still is -- magnificent. The colors are very, very rich - more intense than in your picture.

• Waitforspring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynxe- I've just had Delta Force since August of 2011. Yours is probably in better soil than mine, but mine looks like pictures I've seen of it.

Nancy- I know what you mean about scape height varying. Wispy Rays is registered at 36" and for the last two years mine has been about half that.
    Val

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

No way can I pick a favorite. They are all very nice. Your shot of Tequila Mockingbird would be suitable for a catalog. Very enticing.......Maryl

• deangreen
    10 years ago

skyhook overall, I haven't seen that one I like the pale and green of it. nice

• Nancy
    10 years ago

How have I missed this group til today? I have a hard time keeping up when the season is going strong :) Beautiful daylilies, & no way can I pick just one. Love Tequila Mockingbird, Fernstone, Delta Force, & Wispy RAys.

• lynxe
    10 years ago

"I've just had Delta Force since August of 2011. Yours is probably in better soil than mine, but mine looks like pictures I've seen of it."

Yes, it could be the soil, right? But I've noticed some very intense colors this year, even in beds I've totally ignored . So it could be all the rain we've had.

I forgot to mention that I'm glad to see you can grow TEQUILA MOCKINGBIRD. I really like it, but it's one of so many many southern evergreens I've passed over. Now, I can see myself giving it a try here.

• abbydales
    10 years ago

Is that a true color picture for FULL MOON MAGIC ? I am a sucker for that orange sherbet color, sort of like TANGERINE HORSES. I love my SKYHOOKS too!
    Nice photos, thanks!
    Sharon

• Waitforspring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sharon, the color of Full Moon Magic looks pretty accurate on my screen and for me Full Moon Magic is a much better performer than Tangerine Horses. I hesitate on southern evergreens too, but I've had no problem with Tequila Mockingbird.
    Val

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I had looked at Marietta Gardens for the registered height of TM, and it was an erratic 22". On All Things Plants, it was listed at 32".