Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Adding anything new this year?

organic_kitten
9 years ago

I vowed I was only going to replace my Jazz After Five, which I have already done, but someone, I think it was Deangreen, poster a photo of a Woodhenge intro that I keep thinking about: Planetary Purple. It will come to live here either this year or next. And once again, the form used to not appeal to me, and yet....now it does. I have learned to like so many forms now.
kay

Comments (11)

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Orange Spice, Crazy Miss Daisy, Topguns Aztec Vision, Jan Zoo--somebody stop me!!!LOL. Actually, I know there will be more than this, but we are going to be dividing many of our daylilies, plus the ones that will be given away or just tossed, so we will have the room. Avedon

• shive
    9 years ago

I want to add a tall ruffled yellow bagel. I would like the scapes to be at least 32 inches tall. Does anyone have suggestions?

Debra

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Debra, check out D, Hansen (Ladybug DLS) and his Cliffhanger. It might be too golden, but it is tall, round and ruffled. Avedon

• Edward_Kimball
    9 years ago

At a couple of daylily sales I was followed home by Steve Moldovan, Vertical Horizon, Martha Chamberlain, Dragon Lace, and Born of Magic.

Club Plants that came home with me were Star of the Morning and Wind Charmer.

• Edward_Kimball
    9 years ago

All of my ruffled yellow bagels are short. Frank Smith registered many that meet your requirements. Would they grow well in your zone?

Atomic Glow, Ports of Paradise, and King's Golden Crown are examples. I have Aunt Nellie but it is not as round as in the Hybridizer's picture.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Kay, I usually plant new additions in the spring, so I probably won't add anything else this year. Last fall I thought I'd get a jump on things by adding a new intro by Hanson called Elizabeth Peacock, but it made me too nervous thinking about spending all that money and wondering if the plant would survive our horrible winter. It did, but I don't think I want that stress again!

Debra, I'm not sure if it's enough of a bagel for you, but you might want to check out Supreme Empire (Hanson), one I've been meaning to add.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris, I usually add most of mine in the fall. I got the replacement for Jazz After Five last week, and I potted it and there it will stay until it has taken firm root. He did send me four nice fans, so I am pleased with the plant. I usually get some of Bill Maryotts specials. I am very excited about reworking my front flower bed and moving the lilies and replacing them with 2 rows of daylilies.

kay

• gothiclibrarian
    9 years ago

My local club doesn't have their sale for weeks yet, so no idea what I'm getting new.

But I swear to all that is holy that I am going to finally get my seedlings in the ground this year...sooooooo tired of all the containers!

I've always gotten either off the auctions, from local growers, or from my local club...I'm finally trying to decide which hybridizer I want to buy directly from next spring...anyone want to recommend someone who sends especially generous fans?

~Anika

This post was edited by gothiclibrarian on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 7:04

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Kay, I'd be excited, too! I reworked a few beds last year and ended up with space for about 12-14 new daylilies and I couldn't wait to go shopping to fill up the beds. I had lists going all through winter to narrow down the choices.

• lynxe
    9 years ago

Debra, what about HIS SISTER PAM, one of Rick Yost's? It took a while to settle in and didn't bloom in its first year here, but now, it's an impressive clump, and with every bloom a perfect one.

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

Up until this year I only had older basics..baja, pardon me, bela Lugosi, vino di notte, respighi, stella, ect..

This year picked up the following based mostly on pic and posts here...Linda beck, fools errand, Easter faberge , Jeanne Deavers dream, set my soul afire, along with vanilla gorilla, vanilla stella, vintage merlot, and about 20 or so others.

My dream sheet for next Spring has been started...again by the pics and posts here.....I dare not buy any more this Fall...don't want to look too crazy. Ha

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company