Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl70

Day Lily Question, lining a fence

flowergirl70
10 years ago

Hello,

Before I tried to plant day lilies along my fence I wanted to check with those who are seasoned at growing them. I have day lilies but they are the butter colored usual ones you see everywhere.

We just put in a new planting bed in front of our post/rail fence. I have annuals in them now but I am looking for something that will crowd out any weeds, grow with little extra water from me (the bed is far from hose how's that for thinking ahead, lol), and can handle a little shade in spots (this doesn't need to be as I can use those spots to place shade plants in if needed).

I like tiger lilies too but they grow a touch too tall. I like the height of the ones I have now. I'd love for it to be red, or copper colored, or a nice bright orange! I love orange ones.

So the questions I have are, 1. where can I buy them so I know I am getting quality? 2. How do I calculate how many I need? Do I buy them as plants or tubulars? 3. Can you suggest a hardy kind that come in the colors I mentioned? and when is the best time to plant lilies?

I normally just go about trying things out but this is important and it will be costly at first (long fence). I hate to make a mistake.

Comments (3)