Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

In the Pink in the Seedling Bed today

shive
10 years ago

No more new seedlings to bloom this season, and I was feeling blue about that. But now we're in the pink.

This is the seedling garden named, "Rubber Maid" because of her rubbery petal substance. I love Chartered Course X Never Been Kissed because it looks prettier on a hot evening that it does in the early morning. Last year it was my best budded and branched seedling, but being a pod hussy took its toll. It's down from 23 buds per scapes to 18 this time. It still sets a pod every time.

I did some more investigating on the one some of you liked the other day. According to my records, it is Chance Encounter X Never Been Kissed. I used NBK in my crosses because I was trying to access the genetics of Angel's Smile. And there is something unusual about this pretty pink that comes from that Angel - the edge, which has very small PINK baubles on it. Also, when I looked at it's best scape today, it had 15 buds. That's encouraging for a plant that gets so much shade.

This is the sib to the seedling above. It has a much smaller bloom - 4-4.5 inches and is on a 20-inch scape. It might be taller grown in full sun, and it has 12-14 buds per scape. I need to move this one out, so if there's anyone who wants it for postage, let me know. Otherwise it's toast despite it's vibrant color. Oh, the blooms do all open flat by 10 a.m.

Here's another I've decided to move out, the seedling formerly known as "Poop Eye." I just don't like brown or copper seedlings. While it's on low scapes this year, it normally grows 25-26 inch scapes. The year it was rescued from the compost pile, it had 16-19 buds per scape and rebloomed. Free for postage.

Now I'm not giving this next one away, so don't get excited. Here's what COSMIC SENSATION X ALAN LANE AGIN it looked like on maiden bloom.

Several of you have asked about it's sunfastness. Here it is late in the afternoon of a 93-degree day. It's in full sun from 8 a.m. on. It does fade some, but to a beautiful shade of purple.

I'll close with today's shot of the Sun Bear X Julie Newmar babies snuggled up together.

Debra

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996