Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Longest blooming daylilies of 2012

shive
11 years ago

Here are my longest blooming daylilies this season.

1. STEALTH BOMBER, which had two instant rebloom scapes and one regular rebloom scape, flowered for an amazing 66 days. That's more than 9 weeks!

2. BLUSHED WITH EMERALD was another that had instant and regular rebloom. It is wrapping up its flowering today, giving it 60 days of blooms.

3. ORCHID ELEGANCE just kept putting up rebloom scapes to garner 59 days of bloom.

4. WONDER OF IT ALL - I have a love/hate relationship with this plant. But there's no denying it's a very long bloomer, having both instant and regular rebloom this year.

WOIA bloomed for a total of 58 days this season.

5. GREEN MYSTIQUE with instant rebloom gave me 54 days of bloom.

6. GRAPE TWIZZLER's instant rebloom provided a total of 52 days of flowers.

7. TEXAS BLUE EYES, with rebloom, gave me 49 days of flowers.

8. BELLA SERA had 46 days of bloom/rebloom.

9. SACRED GROUND and its instant rebloom provided 44 days of flowers.

10. WINTER TREASURE, with instant and regular rebloom scapes, had a total of 40 days of bloom.

Debra

Comments (19)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That's a lot of wonderful blooms you have there. What is the problem with Wonder Of It All? It always shows so beautifully....And is it supposed to be over now? I mean good grief...in past years I've heard about rebloom but never really had a serious case of it. I thought it was a myth or something. This year so many are reblooming I think I'm seeing things. I just walked out today to water in 107 degree heat and saw a rebloom scape on Sherry Lane Carr, Coral Majority, and Witches Wink. It's been months since Witches Wink bloomed. Our temperatures are supposed to stay over 110 every day this next week until Saturday when we have a cool down to 108. But even before this 110 business it's been 100-105 every day for weeks. What gives this year with the rebloom? I sure wish it was cooler so I could enjoy it more....Oh yeh, and Debra one of the few that hasn't rebloomed for me is Green Mystique. Go figure.........Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maryl - When temps are less than 95, a third to half of the blooms on Wonder of It All never open. It's so ruffly that the flowers hang up. Since it's been hotter than 95 degrees most of the summer, most of the blooms have opened. I don't photograph the bad blooms on WOIA. For Rita in the North, a majority of the blooms would not open. Jean in Oklahoma doesn't seem to experience the hang-ups. Green Mystique is a reliable rebloomer here. Glad you had lots of rebloom this time. Stay cool this week in those torrid temps. We're going to be in the mid-90s again.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Brazen Bandit was the absolute champ with a full 10 weeks of blooms (4-25 through 7-8) with only an occasional day when no bloom opened. It had bloom then rebloom then instant rebloom:

Philistine Champion started blooming May 1st and had it's last bloom on July 11th.

{{gwi:884653}}

Little Brandon was also a champion but took a break of about 12 days between the first bloom on April 25th and the start of rebloom that continued through July 17th.

Purple mask, similar to little Brandon, had two long periods of bloom. Bloom, instant rebloom, 9 days off and the next set of rebloom began and continued through July 11th.

Octoberfest, Whistler's Sister, . and Colorado Moonfire were very long bloomers too (notice the colors tend to be in the yellow to orange family for my longest bloomers...maybe because I love the oranges and have a lot).

Whistler's sister:

Colorado Moon fire:

Octoberfest:

And don't forget Spiderman. Bloom, instant rebloom, rebloom again, then bud building so bloom just kept going.

kay

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay- Thanks for posting yours! Brazen Bandit certainly had an awesome run. It's hard to believe we've had some daylilies blooming for 9 and 10 weeks this year. My Colorado Moon Fire also had a pretty long run, but since I didn't photograph the first or last flower, I didn't have an accurate day count for it. Just guessing, I would say it bloomed for around 38-40 days.

Debra

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I have two long blooming ones, WONDER OF IT ALL had its first bloom May 10th and last bloom on JULY 12th

and CHINA BRIDE is still blooming, First bloom was JUne First and its still blooming.

jean

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

OH and DEBRA: I think it must have been just a mistake, but, I am nOT in OKlahoma. I am in Arkansas.YOU have i am in Oklahoma :(..

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Woops! Sorry Jean! Right direction, wrong state.

Debra

• dani_plus_2
    11 years ago

Cameroons is FINALLY on it's last few.
    Same with Highland Pinched Fingers.
    Brave One goes forever with it's bud building.
    Pink Stripes lasts a long time...I think it bud builds.

Not many too brag about this year with the drought.

• polymerous
    11 years ago

I don't count the number of days that a bloom was open on my daylilies, and I didn't start keeping records as to FFO and LFO until partway into the season, but for what it is worth I will throw some observations out there. (Being lazy, I find it easiest for record keeping to divide each month into quarters, roughly: 1st-7th, 8th-15th, 16th-23rd, 24th-30th/31st. A daylily gets a * if it blooms in that quarter, otherwise a -.)

Of those daylilies that were protected from deer (being in a fenced side yard), the longest bloomers were Richard Norris' polymerous daylilies POLLY WOLLY DOODLE (from end of May to LFO on 7-2, so over 8 weeks of bloom) and HIP TO BE SQUARE (which started in the first quarter of June, had some instant rebloom and still has 4 buds to go, so it has been in bloom at least 7 weeks). These clumps were in bloom through most of their respective periods. In previous years, iirc each of these also had some rebloom in late summer/early fall, so there may be more yet to come. (Depending on how stressed they are from pod bearing...)

Two shots of Polly Wolly Doodle

Hip To Be Square early morning shot

In contrast, WONDER OF IT ALL started blooming the first quarter of June, and had LFO on 7-15, so it had 6 weeks or less of bloom, with many days during that period without a bloom open. (It is in a pot which receives less sun than PWD and H2BS, which are both in raised beds - so that might be part of the reason for its poorer performance. I have also never seen rebloom on WOIA (and it has been here at least four years, and probably more).)

If the deer had not got to it, FULL MOON MAGIC might have had an unusually good year, and for duration of bloom period (not counting days in bloom) would have outperformed the two poly daylilies (barring fall rebloom on the latter). (This is a daylily that normally has good bud count and branching and puts on a good display, even though it doesn't rebloom - or at least, not that I have noticed. It is in another raised bed, which gets some morning sun and shade all afternoon.)

FFO was in the first quarter of May (I don't have records from previous years, but my recollection is that it normally does not begin bloom until June here), and the LFO was on 7-19. Apart from earlier blooming, what was striking to me was that this year the plant was under drought stress (as well as deer attack), so the bud count and branching were lower than normal - yet it still would have had a long season! Here is an older image (not from this year):

Full Moon Magic

• blue23rose
    11 years ago

Wow! I love Stealth Bomber, Orchid Elegance, and Texas Blue Eyes. I just got TBE last year so am hoping to get the same results that you did, Debra.

I didn't have any long blooming ones this year, but have a scant few that are putting up a rebloom scape. Can't think of what they all are now, but Raspberry Wine has a rebloom scape that is blooming only inches off the ground.

Kay, you have some wonderful pictures too. I love the intense color of Colorado Moon Fire.

Jean, I love China Bride! WOIA looks good too, but I would probably have the same issue as Debra with it.

Polymerous, looks like polys are the wave of the future. Hip To Be Square is awesome looking.

Vickie

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Vickie - It's taken Texas Blue Eyes five years here to become a top performer. I grew it in a pot for two years, and it didn't do much at all. Then I planted it, and it was still a very mediocre performer. Finally I moved it last fall and fertilized this spring, and it just went crazy with blooms. I also think the fact we had a mild winter helped it.

Debra

• dementieva
    11 years ago

I have two clear winners.

Below are the results for BOLD MOVE on its initial and first reblooms. This was from 5 fans at the beginning of the year. It began it's second reblooms on July 17 and is continuing. Photo is from yesterday (2 scapes next to each other).

Nate

Duration calculation results
    From and including: Wednesday, April 18, 2012
    To and including: Thursday, July 5, 2012

It is 79 days from the start date to the end date, end date included

Or 2 months, 18 days including the end date

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a date calculator.

• dementieva
    11 years ago

And DARK REFLECTION was blooming for exactly the same number of days, shifted one day earlier. This plant is about 9 - 11 blooming size fans. It began its second reblooms on July 20. Photo is also from yesterday. It only has one scape right now so it will end sooner than BOLD MOVE.

Results:

Duration calculation results
    From and including: Tuesday, April 17, 2012
    To and including: Wednesday, July 4, 2012

It is 79 days from the start date to the end date, end date included

Or 2 months, 18 days including the end date

Nate

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I think my longest blooming daylily was probably Stumbling Stone. It started blooming May 27 & is still blooming on its 2nd rebloom scape. It hasn't had a lot of blooms open at a time, & not one open every day, but I only have 3 blooming size fans of it so I think that is really good. When it multiplies a bit, should be stunning. The colors haven't been as deep on it as they should, this weather seems to have done that to several of my daylilies & affected this one the worst. Bahama Butterscotch started blooming even earlier, May 15 & had its last bloom on a rebloom scape a few days ago, but there was a week or so between the last bloom & the rebloom scape started. Bill Norris bloomed really nicely for 60 days, the rebloom was almost as good as the 1st bloom. Juanita's Picotee Delight bloomed 63 days & its rebloom were almost as nice as the 1st. I do have nice sized clumps of Bill & Juanita.
    Little Show Stopper started May 8, bloomed for a long time with a 2 week rest, & still has a few buds left. Moonlit Masquerade started blooming May 18, took about a 2 week break & finished blooming July 26.
    Clown Parade bloomed for a long time, but would have been longer if its rebloom scape had survived. I guess the severe heat took out the buds, they never really formed.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Debra: Thanks for the information on Wonder of It All. I think I'll just enjoy the pictures from you and Jean on those that DO open......I noticed yesterday that Shores of Time is sending up a couple of new scapes. It hasn't bloomed in a long while and almost got pitched (a second one already is gone) because of the rust problem(which I have never had until this year)......Some of the new ones posted are very nice but I like the medium yellow of Hip to be Square best I think. Very nice.......Maryl

• katlynn719
    11 years ago

I still have quite a few daylilies blooming, but I haven't had time to post pics. I do keep up with the forum and have enjoyed all of your pics - thank you! Due to our long growing season, most of my daylilies rebloom, even if it's only one scape with just a few buds. But some of them have been exceptional this year. I will only list the ones that have been most impressive, reblooming more than twice.

The longest blooming daylily in my garden is STELLA'S RUFFLED FINGERS. It started blooming this year on March 25 and it is still blooming. It has two more new rebloom scapes on it as I type this, so it will definitely be blooming into August. That's 5 months of blooms. I can't say enough good things about this daylily - not only is it a workhorse, it's also a fast multiplier, and rust resistant. If it were my favorite color (red), I think I'd dig up every daylily I own and replace it with this one. Here is a pic taken July 14, 2012 long after most daylilies have finished in my garden. Check out the leaves...still green when most of my daylily foliage is yellow and burnt. STELLA'S RUFFLED FINGERS -

This next one was something of a surprise. I've had it several years and it has always had some rebloom (but nothing worth bragging about). Last year I moved it from a somewhat shady spot into a sunny bed. It is currently reblooming, but I've lost track of how many times. Each rebloom scape has been taller and has more buds than the last. EVENING ENCHANTMENT -

The next one is one of my most reliable rebloomers. Although the color fades somewhat on these later blooms due to our high temps, I think it is still an attractive bloom. Here it is reblooming July 29, 2012 - EYE ON A STRING -

Last year this next one put up rebloom scapes into Sept (very, very late for my garden). It is currently reblooming and I'm hoping for a repeat of last years performance. It is the pink one in the center (with 3 blooms) surrounded by seedlings. MISSOURI MEMORIES -

Next is one of my oldest daylilies. It's a huge clump now, but I'm reluctant to divide it. A very reliable rebloomer, fast increaser, rust resistant double is BIG KISS -

Some of my best rebloomers have already been mentioned, but I'd like to add them to my list: BUTTERED POPCORN ( but rusty and may have to go), DARK WONDER (rarely doubles, but I think I like it better as a single), INSIDER TRADING (very rust resistant and currently putting up more rebloom scapes), LITTLE MYSTIC MOON (my bud king this year), and last but not least, SPIDER MAN (my personal favorite).

Kathy

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm really enjoying seeing photos and reading about all the longest bloomers.

Kathy - I'm so glad Little Mystic Moon did so well for you in its first year. I'm excited about how well Insider Trading does since I added it this year.

Debra

• crackingtheconcrete
    11 years ago

This is a great thread (who doesn't want more blooms? )
    MY longest -blooming 2 this year were Marietta Polka-dot and Davisson's Backseat Debutante. I wasn't organized enough to calculate bloom time (heck, I can't even label my plants correctly) but I got many many days of blooms out of those 2.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad to hear about Backseat Debutante being a long bloomer. I may have to add that one. I'm really drawn to its color.

Debra