Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taurustendency

Show Winner

taurustendency
10 years ago

hi guys, im new to this forum, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed in the past. I was given Show Winner last year and have not been able to find any info on it at all. when i try to look it up online, i am bombarded with every daylily that has ever won a show/award. does anyone know anything about it? thanks!

Comments (23)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Sorry, but are you sure it wasn't simply a winner at a show instead of the name?
    kay

• dementieva
    10 years ago

I don't think AHS would even accept a name like that under their rules. Could be someone's nickname for a plant.

Nate

• shive
    10 years ago

There is no registered daylily called Show Winner. Could it possibly be Stakes Winner by John Rice?

Debra

• floota
    10 years ago

This name would be prohibited under the AHS Database registration rules ( rules that AHS must follow under ICNCP in order to remain the official registering body for the genus hemerocallis.)
    So this is obviously not a registered cultivar and can be regarded as a seedling! It is a shame that people put unregistered cultivars out there in commerce, because all it does is confuse people and it makes some mad to learn they have bought an unregistered cultivar. Personally I have learned ( the hard way) to always check on whether a cultivar is registered before purchasing it.

• taurustendency
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks guys! i was given it by someone who is usually pretty good about keeping track of names...so im pretty sure it isnt a knickname. however, i guess that just leaves the only other option, that it is a seedling that someone named as show winner.

this is my 2nd summer with it, and i have to say that im not too impressed. we have about 65 different ones that we are strict about marking and keeping track of...so i know i didnt get them mixed up. however, this years bloom looks nothing like last years. i guess we'll never know! thanks!

• taurustendency
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ahhh...okay. i just asked the guy where he got this one from. he said it came from wal-mart. weve had issues with getting the wrong ones from them. i probably have about 4 from them, that are not what they said they were. i dont know where wal-mart's supplier dug up the name show winner, but im not at all surprised now.

• taurustendency
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is the one that they had labeled as show winner...any id ideas? the first bloom last year was a double...but it has looked like this ever since.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

No id idea, but it is a pretty red.

Before I knew any better I also bought packs of daylily roots from Walmart. All of them grew and flowered nicely but neither was true to name. I am not sure about the ones in pots but those in packs come from Holland - notorious for mislabeling. I also got packs of lily bulbs from Holland (not at WM), also wrongly named.

• Tn_Tree_Man
    10 years ago

I too, bought some "bagged" daylily roots from Walmart back in February of this year. 'Show Winner' was one of them. Although I have not found it on the AHS site as a current registered cultivar ('Minnie Pearl' is not listed either), it did offer an attractive flower for me the first year of planting. I was a little disappointed in the fact that it was not as purple as the picture illustrated but we will see what next year brings.

• dementieva
    10 years ago

There is a registered plant named MINI PEARL. Again, what you bought might not be correctly labeled, but that is probably what they intended to label it as.

Nate

• nat4b
    10 years ago

So they put two different daylilies in bags named Show Winner?!? Or maybe not even just two..
    As for the names that's what they do I heard, just change the spelling slightly - like Moonlight Masquerade, Lady Betty Fritz, Sabina Bauer, etc

• taurustendency
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yeah, im betting it wasnt just these two!

• pdsavage
    9 years ago

I just grabed a bag of them at wal mart and was trying to find it on one of the daylily databases.

Found it here as well.
    http://euroblooms.com/spring.asp

• sann777
    9 years ago

I bought several packages of daylilies at Walmart, this spring, half price, $2.65 each. One was Catherine Woodbery. I put two pieces of it in a pot and it immediately sent up a skinny scape. It had 7 buds at the top. It turned out to be a Stella de Oro when it bloomed. I also bought Show Winner. The package shows it to be purple with yellow-green eye. Several of the ones I've planted sure do look like Stella greenery. I will find out if and when they bloom.

• daisysp
    9 years ago

I am an editor at a (Plant file data site)
    Someone just added the Daylily 'Show Winner', but it is not registered as you know. We have to delete it. What is weird is the image is even different than the 2 above. It is a medium Pink with a purple eye!

• nat4b
    9 years ago

That's funny! They just need to stop giving those bag names :)

• autumnwhisper
    8 years ago

well this is what bloomed FFO

unless I mixed labels up what was planted there in a row was Show Winner,Calico Jack and Mildred Mitchell.

• April
    8 years ago

That's funny that all different varieties of this non existent daylily just keeps popping up! But it's oh so annoying too! Years ago we also bought the Calico Jack baggie, and we got two different kinds out of it, neither were Calico Jack.

• flashphoto
    8 years ago

Good Morning everyone, I get a real big kick out of walking around the big box stores and looking at labels of the daylilies and hosta. Most of the labels and plants I pick up are so wrong, I cannot believe the issues this year. The picture on the label does not match the flower. Some of the hosta are not even labels. Horrible!

• mom2cjemma
    8 years ago

Here is my "Show Winner" from Walmart/Euroblooms...... these look "similar" to the label, just not as dark, although in person they are richer purple, I just can't seem to photograph them for what they really are. I wish I knew exactly what they are, because I have had them for years and they are prolific, beautiful and deserve the credit they are due.

• Nancy
    8 years ago

I was at one of the box stores today & they had a lovely pink daylily with a darker pink eye called Black eyed Susan. I own BE Susan daylily, looks NOTHING like what I saw. I think if you don't care what you are getting, box stores are relatively cheap way to go. If you become a hard core daylily addict though, you gotta have the real thing :)

• nat4b
    8 years ago

Mom2, if they are richer purple maybe your Show Winner is Strutter's Ball?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner