Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT Sand as Mulch or what?

Posted by wren-garden zone 5b/6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 17:46

I posted this on the Cottage Garden forum but I know you all are looking in on this forum frequently this time in the season. I have always had great response and help here.
We had to take down our 21' above ground pool. There is a 4+" bed of sand where the pool sat.Found one great use for some of the sand. I have lifted the stones in all the stepping stone paths and reset them with a hefty bed of this sand. There is still plenty of sand left. I thought of putting some at the back of all the beds against the house and fences to "hide" more. Would it work to put a 1 inch layer or so on all the beds as a "mulch" of sorts? Has anyone had experience with sand in the garden? I have to get rid of the sand by the end of August so the spot can be go through rehab with added soil and rototilling for a new flower bed and lawn. It's a job and a half and any ideas are welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT Sand as Mulch or what?

would it work as a base for a berm in the yard, put your soil over top, or mix with it? sand is not a mulch. water runs through it, it is too porous. of course, you could put it in sand bags, and have extra weight in the trunk during winter for traction. my back hurts thinking of this stuff...

o
RE: OT Sand as Mulch or what?

I think you could throw it at the back of the beds near the house no worries, but it would work its way into the soil eventually and things would still grow in it, so not mulch of a mulch really.
perhaps leaving a trace of it behind where the pool was will help give some drainage to the new beds above?? :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here