Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

After a slow beginning...

mantis__oh
10 years ago

Blooms are coming gangbusters now with constant rain. What was a problematic year is now turning into a banner year for blooms.

First some oldies:
STOLEN TREASURE is showy and rampant:

SULTRY SIREN was prolific as always:

SABINE BAUR is a great performer.

SPOTTED FEVER multiplies like rabbits.

RUBY SPIDER always showy:

KABUKI BALLET is a Munson I've kept so far:

TRIPLE CHERRIES looking okay. Vigor here uncertain.

BORN TO RUN As good as can be expected:

INTIMATE SECRETS Not enough buds; must leave.

TIERRA DEL FUEGO More intense than Mr. Lucky

But MR. LUCKY seems much more vigorous:

HALF MOON KEY vigorous plant that came from Michigan; large bloom today

Yet another BARNEY posting. Great substance

HAWAIIAN SWIRLS just has never performed. Must leave.

STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER still draws attention:

TIMELESS ROMANCE Great performer

TWO TIMES TARDY Too bad that many hybridizers don't get enough recognition for their plants:

ANSWERING ANGELS has not done a lot here, but these blooms (about 5") are perfect.

EBONY POOLS showed hardly any thrips damage. Perhaps the rain washed them away.

PACO BELL was recommended by Bill Maryott. Scapes are taller than registered height, and it is electrifying in the garden.

APRIL LAQUINTA Performance here not yet evaluated.

Comments (18)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mantis I am glad your year has improved so much. Hawaiian Swirls is a beauty, too bad it is under-performing. I really like two times hardy. Barney was wonderful here this year too. Stolen Treasures and Sabine Baur are both very lovely. I like your reds, and really like Paco Bell. and so many other really nice ones. Your garden is beautiful, I'm sure ' from seeing all of these blooms.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot the first bloom on MADGE CAYSE. Traditionally, this is a sign that the end is near. (Things are screwed up this year.)

• deangreen
    10 years ago

you know, I've had that hawaiin swirls on my want list for a while, so I'll have to reconsider. I came across that on pinterest. anyway , my favorite of these is defintileyl kabuki since I already have spotted fever. and your'e right it multiplies fast. takes pollen well for me too. cheers! :)

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Answering Angels would be my favorite. Something about the perfect bloom form and colors. Too bad it doesn't do well .
    I have Half Moon Key here and it does very good here.

Glad to see your getting more blooms. Always a treat to go out in the morning and see what is blooming, eh?

Julia

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow.I love all them reds. they are all gorgeous.and I also love HAWAIIAN SWIRLS. its gorgeous, tooBARNEY is always beautiful where ever hes at, andINTIMATE SECRETS is a beauty, too Love that one, too.

jean

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

I love Madge Cayse - it is one of the most beautiful double I have ever seen.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

I love Madge Cayse - it is one of the most beautiful double I have ever seen. Paco Bell really pops!

• shive
    10 years ago

I'm liking all the red eyed daylilies on this post, especially Triple Cherries and Paco Bell. It looks like Sabine Baur and Ruby Spider are top performers in your garden. Two Times Tardy is an interesting looking one that I've never heard of before. Who is the hybridizer?

Debra

• shive
    10 years ago

I'm liking all the red eyed daylilies on this post, especially Triple Cherries and Paco Bell. It looks like Sabine Baur and Ruby Spider are top performers in your garden. Two Times Tardy is an interesting looking one that I've never heard of before. Who is the hybridizer?

Debra

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Floyd Boatwright hybridized Two Times Tarty (sorry, I misspelled it).

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Lots of flowers! Love so many of them, especially Barney and Paco Bell - my favorite. Sultry Siren is so nice, I have a similar looking noid, and though the flower is not the fanciest, I really enjoy looking at lots of bright red blooms. Ruby Spider is very showy, can't wait for mine, it was sick last year and it totally affected the blooms. I like Two Times Tarty too!
    Oh, I was wondering about not enough buds. What's the bud count on Intimate Secrets and Hawaiian Swirls?

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

My number one favorite is Stolen Treasure, then comes sultry Siren and Two Times Tarty. The rest are nice too, but these colors strike my fancy tonight.....Maryl

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

What a difficult task it is to choose between so many, many lovely daylilies! Other than MISTER LUCKY and TIERRA DEL FUEGO, both of which I already have, I'd be delighted to include any of these beauties in our garden.

I think STOLEN TREASURE, TWO TIMES TARDY, HALF MOON KEY and PACO BELL all must share my #1 vote.

STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER is so pretty -- I used to have it but it died. I still miss it.

I haven't met a Munson daylily I didn't like. They will always have a place in our garden.

MISTER LUCKY is so reliable -- it more than willilngly keeps that "hot spot" in the garden going all season long.

TIERRA DEL FUEGO -- has some pretty dominant genes. I think every cross I made with it has resulted in many TDF clones scattered among the seedlings.

BORN TO RUN is ever so exquisite, depending on the day it blooms. When it does look like it should - it is awesome and hard to beat. It's still pretty on its off-days.

APRIL LAQUINTA is very outstanding, but has been slow to increase and produce here. It has taken three years here to finally start strutting its stuff. So, it evidently needs time to adjust to its new surroundings. It should please you as it matures in your lovely garden.

If it weren't for the impossibility of shoveling snow in the winters with my aging back, your pictures would entice me to pull up (daylily) roots and head right for Ohio! Beautiful garden!

Nancy

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nat: Hawaiian Swirls has less than a half dozen buds now; it is a diploid that just doesn't seem to establish readily. I often get frustrated with diploids. Intimate Secrets--not much more than a half dozen. I just don't have the space when there are cultivars that are much better budded.

Nancy: You romanticize Ohio. Right now it is terribly humid. But of course, the daylilies love that. As for the Munsons, they can be notorious for not taking a full day of sun, but yes, it is difficult to part with them.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

It looks like your garden must have exploded overnight. Barney looks impressive, as does Paco Bell and Timless Romance.

Hawaiian Swirls was also a poor performer here, so I sent it to Pittsburgh last year. I've never had a Shooter that performed well here, although I think you've had better luck with them.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

So many lovely daylilies today. Sabine looks wonderful. Mine didn't do well the first year, got drowned in heavy spring rains, then overshadowed by taller daylilies. I moved it last fall & it has rewarded me with lots of blooms so far, is much taller than where it was before too. Looks like it is going to live up to its reputation.
    Can't decide if I like TWO TIMES TARDY or Paco Bell best, they are both brilliant & beautiful. Too bad about Hawaiian Swirls, that one looks so pretty.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Thanks for answering about poor performers. I have to part with some for sure this year but it's very often quite difficult to choose which need to go.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Help I'm on overload just way to many stunners to even attempt to pick a favorite.
    Linda

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz