Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

Trahlyta

Nancy
10 years ago

I got this daylily in trade in 2008, maybe before then, as a tiny fan. I mean, prolif size. I was disappointed, but assumed it would grow & bloom in at least a couple years. It sat there for 3-4 years, with barely any growth. I decided to move it, even though it should have been in a pretty good site. It did grow some, but still no bloom for the next 3 years. I had given up on it this year, since Trahlyta is listed as early/mid blooming, & some of my late bloomers are starting now. A few days ago I noticed some scapes coming out of South Seas that definitely were not SS. Sure enough, Trahlyta had apparently moved & snuggled next to SS. Now I'll have to separate them out this fall.
I'm wondering if since it took so long to bloom, maybe it is just an inferior plant & I should get rid of it? Seems to have decent amount of buds considering everything. Here it is

Also, Two Part Harmony, I had shown it in its single form, the way it appears mostly, but here it is as a double. It is sending out several rebloom scapes, been blooming its head off for at least 3 weeks now

First bloom on More than Rubies, I can't get the lighting right to get the true beauty of this one. I think it may be the best looking red in my garden

Some white seedlings, they have clumped up nicely now & bloom really well.

Comments (18)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Wow, it is so pale. Doesn't look anything like mine does. I don't know what to say.

• sann777
    10 years ago

I love the white blooms. I am into white this year. Sarah

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Trahlyta is a stellar performer here in my garden. I wonder if you got Trahlyta or something similar in form. The color in your pic is too light and I've never seen that color here.
    Here is a pic from 2012 bloom season.

The white seedling is indeed very special. :-)

Julia

• FlowerGardener
    10 years ago

I totally agree with Julia mine looks like hers, not like yours.

• mamabear
    10 years ago

Mine is Light too. From a Trade Also. Maybe the Zone? Last year's Bloom as it has not yet Shown itself.

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Doesn't look like Trahlyta - maybe a seedling from it?

Nancy

• Nancy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been wondering too, not just because the color seems off, but everyone talks about how good Trahlyta blooms. I should say, my camera didn't capture quite an accurate color, the actual flower has something of a brown tone.
    All the plants I got from this person were small, this was the smallest, but the rest were accurate. At least 3 of them have turned out to be stars in my garden, even though I never see anyone else mention them here. Ah well, it was a good trade on the whole, I just need to get the real Trahlyta.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Love your white seedling. Avedon

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Well, you do have some very pretty blooms. I don't have
    Trahlytabut, all the photos I have seen of it, it looks nothing like any photos I have seen of it.More then RUBiES is a very pretty one, and I just love that white clump, now that is pretty..

jean

• shive
    10 years ago

Your plant does seem very light to be Trahlyta. I like your white seedlings too. Are they out of Margo Reed Indeed?

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Wow, that's a long wait.
    I like all the other three, especially your white seedling.
    I am now curious about those 3 that turned out to be the stars of your garden, and never mentioned here.

• granalene56
    10 years ago

It took Trahlyta 3 years to bloom here in zone 8. I have probably had it 10 years. It has always bloomed mid to late June here. It's color is darker than your picture. Mine looks exactly like juliany's picture that is posted.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hum, if it blooms mid to late June in zone 8, then now would be about right for it in zone 7, wouldn't it? Possibly the color will get darker, the weather has been off lately, cooler & cloudy, though it seems like people say dark ones are darker when it is cool. Maybe next blooms will shape up. We'll see.
    Thanks everyone for the comments on my white seedling. I actually have Margo Reed Indeed, but didn't get it til after this one started blooming. I don't keep track of my seedlings well. I was crazy about Margo at the time though & was trying for something of that look. I crossed my only whites & near whites, Ice Carnival with either So Lovely or Tuscawilla Bill Reed & got this, not sure which one, but probably from So Lovely. Neither So Lovely or Bill are really white, but I got several very white seedlings from them. Margo is planted right beside my seedling & I actually like the seedling better. It blooms well & usually reblooms, not quite as big as margo though.

• flowergirl70ks
    10 years ago

Could it be that your Trahlyta is tissue cultured? I once got a Wild Mustang that was a washed out version of itself and found out later it had been tissue cultured. You also mentioned it was very small. that was the case with Wild Mustang also. I waited forever for it to bloom.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It could possibly be, flowergirl, I got it in trade & have no idea where she got it from. It would be quite possible that it is tissue cultured, although Trahlyta is such an old one & apparently a good grower, I wouldn't think anyone would bother, but who knows.
    For Nat4b, here are the daylilies that I mentioned that I received from the same person. All daylilies were very small, but these thrived.
    Beautiful Jealous Eyes

Hint of Blue
    {{gwi:668897}}

Juanita's Picotee Delight

These 3 all bloom well, maybe not an extraordinary number of blooms per scape, but above average in my garden, & they always seem to rebloom well. I don't have a good photo of Juanita, it is really nicer in person. A little different from anything else I have. Hint of Blue always gets a lot of attention from visitors. I've set lots of buds on these because I like them so well, never seems to set them back in blooming. Although since I use them so much, maybe they would be even better if I would leave them alone :)

• nat4b
    10 years ago

I also thought of TC re Trahlyta.
    Thanks for posting those three, they are lovely. Like your garden visitors I especially like Hint of B lue, I like that bitone look

• deangreen
    10 years ago

I've always admired tralhyta.... I really like those white seedlings! btw.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Nancy, those last three daylilies you posted are really pretty also.