Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

In-Between Rains

mantis__oh
10 years ago

Really, we could stand to save some of this rain for later in the season!

Cloudy skies make good picture taking.

MOONLIGHT SAIL Poor bud count again this year.

SPIRITUAL CORRIDOR

SPIRIT FOX Every bit as intense as Celeste described it (remember she drove back for an hour to get it).

THIN MAN towers over the garden

MAGIC CARPET RIDE In a shady part of the garden where performance is limited.

DOWN HOME reliable earlier one

HELLO SCREAMER grows well here.

ALL AMERICAN CHIEF The picture tells the story.

MOSES' FIRE well budded this year

WOODSIDE FIRE Not sure why I keep this

VOLCANO QUEEN This year is the best I've seen this one.

WILLIAM AUSTIN NORRIS

WESTBOURNE GOOD OLD DAYS Much better this year

ETHEL BUCCOLA To think that I once wanted to cancel this one a week before shipping, and Bill Maryott threw a fit about late cancellations, so I kept it.

Nikko Blue this year

Comments (14)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

ETHEL BUCCOLA is a stunner. Good luck that you were not able to cancel it. Nikko Blue is so pretty!

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

That was a stroke of luck, wasn't it? EB is a beauty. That sort of bloom is reason enough to keep Woodside Fire. All American Chief is magnificent! Spiritual Corridor is beautiful. You haven't a clinker in the group. Beautiful show, Mantis. And James Spann (weatherman) claims all this rain will keep down some of the insanely hot temps because the soil moisture will have to be evaporated before it can keep up so badly. Hmmm. We'll see.
    kay

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Ethel is a real looker! Volcano Queen is a bright one, I bet you can really see her in your garden.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

thin man get's my vote! awesome

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Really great pictures. Lots of brights--love All American Chief. Mose's Fire, Volcano Queen, Spirit Fox, and though Ethel Buccola isn't a "Screamer" she is looking exceptional. Love blue hydrangeas, won't grow at our house, so thanks for the picture. Avedon

• shive
    10 years ago

That clump of ALL AMERICAN CHIEF is spectacular! Just like fireworks! Mine has performed very well this season too, but I never had more than six blooms at a time. ETHEL BUCCOLA is such a little workhorse. I was excited to see two rebloom scapes coming on mine tonight. I'm so sorry MOONLIGHT SAIL doesn't perform well for you. The bloom is so gorgeous. Your WESTBOURNE GOOD OLD DAYS is looking good. Mine didn't do much the first year I had it, and then the second year exploded with blooms. I'm not fond of oranges, but your Volcano Queen duo really appeals to me.

Debra

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

What a great group you have there. I could pick almost any one of them, but that clump of All American Chief really stands out and I do love Ethel Buccola and Hello Screamer.
    Val

• nat4b
    10 years ago

I like the look of daylilies like Moonlight Sail and Spiritual Corridor, and W. Good Old Days has all that and it's bitone, so it's my favorite. All American Chief is sure bright and what a show with so many blooms.
    Ethel Buccola is very pretty! Ha, the same story here about trying to cancel a DL and they (Maryott) said they couldn't. Turned out to be one of my favorites - Carnival In Brazil (what was I thinking??)

• flora2b
    10 years ago

They are all beauties, but my vote goes to Good Old Days......love those contrasting colors.
    Thanks

• mnclerk
    10 years ago

SPIRIT FOX... definitely my favorite! It's almost neon.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

My favorites are Ethel Buccola and Hello Screamer. I bet your so happy that Bill wouldn't let you cancel.
    Linda

• lynxe
    10 years ago

What is it you don't care for about WOODSIDE FIRE DANCE? Is it the size of the bloom? Too ordinary, by today's standards? Something else?

I'm going to get SPIRIT FOX!

• shive
    10 years ago

I was just perusing your photos again and realized I forgot to comment on some others that really grabbed me. Spirit Fox is an intense blazing orange that must light up the garden. I'd love to see a clump of it. And on a cooler, note Spiritual Corridor is still one of the prettiest edged daylilies around. Your photo is lovely. I remember mine held its color in actual temps of 109 last year. It remains one of Hanson's finest creations.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynxe: In regard to Woodside Fire, it's all about space; but I have kept it a long time even though I am pressed for room.

My Spirit Fox is too young for a clump, but yes, that will be exciting.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH