Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Some Pictures Before The Violet Storms Passing Thru

newyorkrita
11 years ago

Well, the power is back on after being off most of the afternoon. It started to get dark just as I was coming here at Gardenweb to post, I had to shut down due to the storms that quickly came up.

I feel so bad for those of you that need rain. We had torrential rains much of the afternoon as one storm after another blew over. Still raining and the violent thundershower watch is on till ten PM. I have never seen anything like the storm that blew thru earlier. The winds must have been hurricane force, I am wondering if a tornado came thru.

Two massive trees accross the street went down. We lost power most of the afternoon but it is back now. Violent Thundershower Watch on till ten PM here as the storms keep passing thru.

I fear that someone was hurt in the tree going down in the park as Police, Ambulance and Fire were all going in and out of the parking lot right after the tree went down.

You should see my yard, it is a mess. My poor tomato plants that I am so proud of were flattened down to the tops of their cages. They used to be lots taller.

What I am really surprised about is that the daylilies are fine. Yes, todays blooms schredded but scapes are all good.

Here are my tomatoes I picked this morning while it was sunny. Left to right. WHOPPER, EARLY GIRL, another WHOPPER, PATIO and 2 FOURTH OF JULY with a quarter so you can see size scale. The 4TH OF JULYs are just small tomatoes, I doubt that they will be back next year. If I am going to have small tomatoes then I would rather have cherry and grape types. I want more size than they have on the regular types.

I have been having the grape and cherry tomatoes, some Patio and a fair amount of 4TH Of July to eat already but The EARLY GIRLS are just comming on now and that is my first fruit off the Whoppers.

Now to the daylilies. So here are the pictures of some late bloomers I took and was going to post before all this crazy weather. It is still raining now.

SELLSTATION FRIENDSHIP, one of my Dale Thomas late bloomers.

SELLSTATION CAMPFIRE, another Thomas late.

AUGUST SUNSET a Kendig intro is also a late bloomer.

EXIT STRATAGY, one of my Hibard lates.

GOODBYE COLUMBUS usually blooms mid August, not mid July.

Comments (17)

• shive
    11 years ago

So glad you are OK, even though your tomato plants lost some height. All your late blooming daylilies are beautiful! Sellstation Campfire and August Sunset are my favorites.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The tree chopping crews are here now and cutting up and chipping the smaller tree which is down in the parking lot and partially on the street. What a mess but I am sure they will get it cleaned up. The park itself is closed due to the tree down in there. For all I know there are more trees down in the park that I can't see from here as I haven't walked down there.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I hope no one was hurt from the downed tree! Glad you are OK, & not without power too long. We've been getting thunder here, but no rain. Rain all around, but none on us. We're not bad off right now, we had rain off & on for about a week. Not a lot at a time, but I think it all added up. Supposed to rain the next couple of days, so that should help. If it really does rain.
    That is a great photo of Goodbye Columbus, I love how it looks there. Beautiful group of Exit Strategy too. I've been getting tomatoes here, but they are all small. I guess because of lack of water for so long, even though I did water them some. Oh well, they do taste good.

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Have been working all day, didn't know about the storms in your area, hope all are okay. You have posted more beautiful pictures, so many of the names I remember from last year, and I love them just the same. I really do like the Hibbard Exit Strategy. I am looking forward to seeing more of her hybrids, know that she does really nice late bloomers, which aren't so late this year. Avedon

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Sellstation Campfire caught my eye! Hard to believe that you are into your lates. August Sunset also looks very good, even in mid-July.

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Gosh that is terrible Rita. We were reading about all of the bad weather heading up the east coast this morning. I'm glad you are o.k.

Rena'

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found out by watching the local Long Island news that they are calling the storm here a microburst, whatever that means. More trees down in the Park that I could see from here. There were people injured and taken to the hospital because the old historic 80 year old gazbo here blew down and collasped in the storm. People were trying to take shelter there.

It really only was in small parts of us here in the north shore only. They said this area got from 2-4 inches of rain, most of which happened in a very brief time early this afternoon.

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Rita, I was watching on the weather channel and I thought of you when those storms hit. I am glad you are ok and the tomatoes can be replaced.After all, they are just "things". Sellstation Friendship and August Friendship are my favorites...Ellie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ellie, the tomato plants will be fine. Flatterned now but they will perk up. Tomorrow I will go and cut back any broken branches on them and stake anything that needs it.

The garden certainly got enough soaking rain. Plants will love that. Maybe the daylilies will decide to rebloom!
    :-))

• JJOF
    11 years ago

Yum! Fresh picked tomatoes! All your daylilies are gorgeous. I really love the first 3 the best. Glad you stayed safe within the storm. Hope it clears up for you.
    Jason

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Those storms are scarey and can be mush worse than that. Good that there was no direct hit there. The tomatoes are wonderful. there is nothing like fresh tomatoes, is there?

The blooms look great too. Especially like Sellstation Campfire.
    kay

• nat4b
    11 years ago

I saw a little bit about severe weather there on the news too and thought about you. Glad you are ok! So sad about trees and injured people :(
    There was some possibility of storm here in Iowa too, but.. nothing. Dry and hot all summer. Crop failures guaranteed in our area.

Daylilies are very pretty, and my favorite is August Sunset!
    Tomatoes look yummy :) I only have Early Girl, it's still very green here.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Sheesh, that's really scary. Your tomatoes look great, though, and I'm sure the plants will be fine.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Hi Rita. I am so glad that you are ok. That was a bad storm. They showed it here last night on the weather channel and showed the Gazebo smashed down and the park and water there.Nice park.and WAS nice gazebo too. Maybe they will rebuild it.Love the daylilies , especially the first one. and I see you grow the PATIO tomatoes, too. I wont mess with them again, next year if I am still able to do what I want, i will plant some bigger tomatoes. I have had the ealy boy and early girl before, too. I wish we could have gotten just a little of that rain.They keep saying we have thunderstorms in the forecast, but, so far, not a drop has fallen here. Probably get a moonsoon when it does rain again.

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for the well wishes. Yes, nothing really to complain about as no lasting damage in my garden.

The tomatoes will taste wonderful and that is only the begining of tomato season. Lots more to come. The plants will be fine. I went and cut off any broken branches on them and they are already picking up.

Jean and everyone. That was a very old historic structure in the park. There is already a newer bigger one that they use as the bandstand for the summer concerts but the old one is part of our history. Sad to see it crashed.

I could always see the water from my front porch, better in winter with the leaves down than in the summer. But with the two trees dopwn that went down I am amazed at my new view. Clear down to the water straight thru the park with no obstructions.

I just sat out on my porch and watched all the cleanup and goings on.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I bet it was nice and cool there after all that rain,at least I hope it didnt turn into a very hot day there, today. its 96 out right now,and feels like 104 they say. I know its plenty hot out there,and I need to go water the pots againJust glad you are ok, and no real damage to your property or house and blooms

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, actually it was hot, hot, hot and because the humidity was 100% felt like a steam bath. Finially started to get cooler overnight and today it is much, much cooler. Tomorrow going to be cooler yet. The weather was great for working in the garden today. Good thing, as I had lots of cleanup that I was doing. I think they said on the weather news last night that it was 98.