Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Nicole Harry has 2009 Fall Intros Up

newyorkrita
14 years ago

I will not be buying any Florida bred daylilies but I still like to look. Figgured some of you might like to look also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nicoles Daylilies

Comments (12)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

She does do a pretty picture. The yellow one (drama queen?) is my favorite, but then the color yellow is my favorite. I think her prices have come down too. I wish someone who grows her daylilies would comment on the accuracy of her pictures vs reality and also how much rust they got as a bonus gift(if any) if they bought direct from her.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I read something on the Robin that she decided to price her new intros lower to make them more afordable. I just don't buy from Florida so I don't know about the rust (or not).

• floota
    14 years ago

A plant she sent me back in the spring DID bring in rust. I have sprayed it half to death and so far it hasn't spread to any other plants around the garden. It has actually put up another fan.

While at the National, I visited her garden. It was set up very nicely and there were some very nice seedlings and futures, perhaps some of these ( haven't had a chance to compare pictures to the intros). The one thing that really bothered me was that one ( in particular) of her expensive new introductions had an absolutely gorgerous bloom. I was all set to buy it, but as I looked, every single plant - and there must have been 30 or more of this cultivar - was blooming down in the foliage. This is a very bad trait ( IMHO) that she will hopefully breed out. I know most hybridizers try to breed this out very quickly. But I just could not bring myself to pay the big bucks for a plant that bloomed down in the foliage. Perhaps in another climate, it would bloom differently than in Florida. I know often Florida plants grow at different heights here than they have been registered in Fl.
    I only saw a few of her plants blooming low, but henceforth, I will probably wait to see future intros of hers growing in gardens around here before buying more.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

Very good info. Wasn't Frank Smith one of her mentors?

• farmerbell
    14 years ago

I received 4 plants from Nicole this spring. So far, I have no rust and 3 of the 4 look like her pictures. Those are Southern Dazzle, Apopka Pink Pearl (which just keeps on blooming and blooming and blooming), and Hopelessly Devoted. The 4th one bloomed at the top of the foliage and did not look a lot like her picture, but it sent up a bloom scape shortly after I got it, so I don't know if it will always bloom fairly low or whether this was the result of it being a new plant here.

Ann

• carefreeplants_2008
    14 years ago

I had the chance to visit Nicole's garden last May, just before the Nationals. She was very nice and wonderful to talk to as she guided me around her garden. Unfortunately, I had to leave quickly because of my flight. She had a promo that time, and she gave me a gorgeous intro, which I hand carried on the plane. :)

I took this picture and I remember her saying the plant would be a Fall Intro. I couldn't remember the name until I browse the link. And then I recalled it was:

Black Tie Affair
    very much impressed with this cultivar

Sorry for the exposure. I was still learning to use the camera at the time, and didn't adjust the exposure setting. Picture was taken at 12:30 pm.

Bj

• opnjmprs
    14 years ago

I was visiting her website several days ago and noticed that she had a summer sale going on. I emailed her and ordered SOUTHERN DAZZLE, and I may add to the order since I think her sale prices are a very nice bargain for double fan plants. I've bought plants from her before and she has always been very generous with the number of fans she sends, and to date none of her plants have shown any signs of rust. I usually see rust showing up in the garden this time of year. It usually comes in from some plant I acquired from the south. Guess I've just been lucky so far. When I saw the pic of SOUTHERN DAZZLE that Ann had posted here on the forum, I knew I had to get that one.

Linda

• uroboros5
    14 years ago

Nothing really strikes my fancy among those new offerings...

:-(

Nice pictures as always.

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

I just looked at Nicole Harry's website and her daylilies are beautiful. I like Black Tie Affair the best, but when opening the website, what is it with all the scroll bars? I don't understand the reason for creating a website this way. Can someone explain?

Thanks.

Vickie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vickie- I don't like the way the website is set up either. But not my call.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

Boy, do I agree about her website. It's a navigation headache. Everytime I go there I think to myself "do I have time to fool with this?" Speaking of websites one of the best is Roycroft. You can search by color, price, height etc. I like that very much.

• timmba
    14 years ago

Of course, me being a daylily grower wannabe, those new intro photos look super to me. And anything of Stamile's, Carpenter, Trimmer, Kirchoff, Grace and other greats just keep my mouth watering --
    I hope one day to add a selection of daylilies to my commercial iris garden.
    Link is for info purposes only -- not for promo

Here is a link that might be useful: my personal site