Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

More lates and rebloomers

shive
9 years ago

Blooms are getting sparse in the gardens these days. We're back in the 90s again.

AUGUST CHERRY is having a nice clump show with FINAL TOUCH on the side.

KENTUCKY LUCKY is still putting on a marvelous show.

BERMUDA CORAL just started blooming yesterday.

QUEEN NARNIA reblooming. This is one Florida cultivar that has perfomed well this season. Scapes are finally the correct height. Bud count was 17-18 per scape, and there was instant rebloom on one scape.

SURFIN DUDE just started to bloom.

ANGEL RODGERS

EDGE OF YOUR SEAT is my top rebloomer so far. It has four instant rebloom scapes. Wonderful plant! (The bees think so, too.)

WAVES BECOMES WINGS always adds some elegance to the late show.

ALLEGHENY SKYLINE is down to its last couple of buds. I have so enjoyed this one this season!

APACHE WAR DANCE, unlike most of my daylilies, is a bit taller than usual. Its bright blooms are exploding right now in the back corner of the yard.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 20:04

Comments (16)

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

August Cherry looks amazing in a clump! I think I might want to add that one to my bed of red and yellow daylilies. I like Kentucky Lucky too.

Linda

• nat4b
    9 years ago

All great looking daylilies, you have the prettiest lates!
    My two favorites today are Kentucky Lucky and Queen of Narnia. I like the pic of August Cherries with Final Touch. Makes me think I need to move FT to the other lates and also to shorter ones (it's behind my tallest :))
    Bermuda Coral reminds me of a lily. Apache War Dance is so bright, I like it when they get taller!

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

When do August Cherry, Best for Last, and Kentucky Lucky bloom relative to Apache War Dance? I always considered Apache War Dance a late midseason. You've been posting the first three for some time (well, not August Cherry, but the other two).

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Apache War Dance is planted in part shade, so it always blooms with the lates. I can tell you it blooms after Coral Majority, if that helps any. I know you have both cultivars. Kentucky Lucky, which gets full sun, started a blooming a couple of days before Apache War Dance this year. Best for Last, which also gets a good chunk of shade, started blooming 3-5 days after Kentucky Lucky. August Cherry (in full sun) and Best for Last started blooming about the same time. Typically Kentucky Lucky is earlier than AC and BFL.

Debra

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

APACHE WAR DANCE is a beauty..love it.KENTUCKY LUCKY is a gorgeous bloom. and I likeALLEGHENY SKYLINE too. really nice colors in that one. QUEEN NARNIA is a beauty and my favorite.it Looks a lot like WONDER OF IT ALL must be why I like it so much.you have some beauties blooming, a nice show.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jean! Queen of Narnia is a larger bloom than Wonder of It All, and it's edge is not as impressive as WOIA. Queen of Narnia does always open well, however. Did you get rebloom on Wonder of It All this year. This is the first season since I got it that mine has not rebloomed.

Debra

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Beautiful lates! Kentucky Lucky continues to impress and Allegheny Skyline looks beautiful. It's more recurved than mine, perhaps because of the heat? Apache War Dance is such a screaming red so that's my pick of the group.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

August cherry! Love the reds, and this is a beautiful clump, Debra. Kentucky Lucky is a beauty too. Really like Allegheny Skyline too. and Apache War Dance is a beauty.
    kay

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris - Yes, the sepals on Allegheny Skyline recurve when it's in the 90s and humid. I like the look. But the petals have never recurved like in Curt's catalog pic. This is the best Apache War Dance has ever looked and performed. So I feel compelled to take lot of photos of it. It's tall and better budded this year. I don't know what has caused the improvement.

Kay - August Cherry and Kentucky Lucky are great lates are among my very best lates. Both have given me terrific, long blooming clumps this year. While the evergreens didn't care too much for winter, these dormants really improved because of it.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Well, they are lovely, and I think the dormants did, indeed like the winter.
    kay

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

Debra: No,I did not get reblooms on Wonder of it All.I got very little rebloom this year unlike the previous years.I only got reblooms on Asethetic Ballet, Beautiful Edgingand one more that I cant think of its name at the minute.About half of my daylilies didn't even bloom this year.Hopefully, next year will be better..

jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

My favorites are August Cherry and Apache War Dance. That's a good "tell" on blooming time on AWD. I have Coral Majority too and consider it a late here. It's got only a few buds left on it by now though, so AWD would be later still I'm guessing. How does the color hold?...........Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jean - This is the first time Wonder of It all did not rebloom for me. I keep hoping to see some more scapes on it. I had 15 daylilies that did not bloom at all, and lots more than only had three or four buds.

Maryl - On this hot, humid 93 degree day, Apache War Dance looked more orange than red at the end of the day - but still very bright in color. It holds its color up to 89, and fades somewhat at 91 degrees.

Debra

• krikit
    9 years ago

Debra - those are gorgeous daylilies. Especially 'Edge of Your Seat'. I did a search for it on the Internet, but could not find a supplier. Do you know anyone selling it? My Mom loves daylilies but is no longer able to garden so I am looking for a good rebloomer that I can put in a pot for her.

Thanks in advance for any info,
    Frances

• krikit
    9 years ago

thanks lynxe, I'll check those out!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?