Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Backlit blooms for Tuesday evening

shive
10 years ago

Here are some blooms that were backlit by the sun this evening. It was a 91 degree day here, with a heat index of 94.

INDY HUSTLER, a late, started blooming yesterday.

TRANCE has been bud building in the late season

WITCH'S STICK

SHELBY's last bloom

REGAL FINALE

AUGUST CHERRY

Debra

Comments (16)

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I love the back-lighting, and I can't believe these blooms have spent the day in 90+ temps. Indy Hustler looks like a great late, and I love that shade of orchid/lavender/wisteria (I'm going through the Crayola colors in my brain). But now you've gone and posted Shelby, and I think that one is going to have to go in my garden. Why haven't I noticed that one before?

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

My favorites today are Shelby's and Regale Finale. How tall is Shelby's? From the looks of all those bud scars, I'd think it had a good bud count. Marg

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Those are some good looking plants to be in the sun all day. I love reds, so I like August Cherry, but Shelby takes the cake. I have to put that on my very short list because every time I see it, I really like it. Funny, the only one I have on order is a Purple Tarantula, and I did not care for spiders or unusual forms at one time. Tastes change, don't they?
    kay

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Well, I went to Maryotts and added Shelby to my order. Keep on Looking was the special, so that's okay too. Good thing I had ordered Purple Tarantula since it is now sold out. Maybe I'm done for fall. Ha!

kay

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

August Cherry is my favorite of these - I love red and that is a great looking clump!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - You noticed Shelby when I posted it a couple of weeks ago too. With so many daylily photos posted, it's hard to remember. Last year, when it was new, you probably didn't notice Shelby because the eye looked rosy red and the petals gray. I guess it has to settle in before it has the colors in Margo's catalog.

Marg - Shelby is registered at 38 inches tall. It seems to be about 40 here. It has 15 buds per scape - no side branching.

Kay - I think the blooms fared better today because there was low humidity for a change.

Debra

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

They all look amazing after a hot day. I must have missed Shelby before. What a beautiful flower! Trance looks great too and the clump of August Cherry is very impressive. I really like every one of them.
    Val

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Nice collection Debra. REGAL FINALE demands attention. Nice dark color with the green throat.
    Awful heat for you. We've cooled down and the next couple of days will be better sleeping weather.

Julia

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I didn't remember your having posted Shelby either. Love it!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julia - It actually felt cool today because there was very little humidity. /The rest of the week will have highs in the high 80s. That's extremely cool for this time of year in Nashville.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

LOve that INDY HUSTLER, that's a beauty,Dont remember seeing it before.love AUGUST CHERRY , too, and REGAL FINALE which is my favorite today.

jean

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Gorgeous, all of them. Love Indy Hustler, Trance, Shelby, and Regal Finale--what a color that one has. Avedon

• deangreen
    10 years ago

witches stick and the regal one are my faves! nice photos deb, I like different lighting and angles with photos. :)

• sglobig
    10 years ago

Just look at the beautiful, graceful form of Shelby. That one is definitely going on my list! Your backlit photos really show off your gorgeous flowers.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dean and Sglobig - Thanks for you comments!

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Daylilies look great in the evening! Yes, I too have figured it out that it is heat AND excessive humidity that made my daylilies look very bad by noon already. We are now enjoying a cooler weather and lower humidity and I can enjoy (some of the) flowers in the afternoon too.
    I like August Cherry and Regal Finale the best, but my favorite is that beautiful shot of Shelby! But what's that thing behind the flower? Looks like a bud to me (?)