Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gloria8092

do my day lillys have seed pods on them?

gloria8092
9 years ago

I might be posting this questions twice. Not sure the other post took.
I've have these scarlet day lillys and this the second year they've come up. I always pinched off the dead flowers to get more and prevent seeding.The unbloomed flowers always had an oblong shape with a red tip. Recently a professional gardener told me to cut any spent stalks all the way down which is impossible but I've been cutting them down as far as I can go. All of a sudden I've got hardly any flowers but I do have these large round balls. ARE THESE SEED PODS? If so is there anything I can do at this point to bring flowers back or is it too late? Last but not least, do you think this is due to being told I should cut the spent stalks down? Because it's awful coincidental that I'm seeing these all of a sudden and never saw them before. Thanks for any advide.

Comments (11)

• shive
    9 years ago

Are the balls green?

• gloria8092
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes they are. with "slices" in them. Kinda like a round pizza if you can picture that. :-)

• gloria8092
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes they are. with "slices" in them. Kinda like a round pizza if you can picture that. :-)

• Ed
    9 years ago

The seed pods would be growing at base of the stem where the spent flower was. If you're cutting all the scapes off, where are these round balls located? The seed pod starts off green and resembles a walnut in shape. Sometimes smooth and sometimes rough texture outside. Typically, there will be three seed chambers joined together to make the pod. Looking at the end, it looks kinda like a fat three blade propeller.
    If the spent scapes are objectionable to you, then cut them off. I would suggest cutting off only down to the foliage. Trying to cut them off down at the crown would pose an unnecessary chance of damaging the plant. The plant recovers nutrients from the spent scape, after which the scape will turn brown. Then the scape is no longer useful to the plant. I gently tug on the brown scapes. When they pull off, I compost them.
    Definitely, dead heading will allow the plant to stay in the blooming mode, and you'll have more bloom and rebloom. Once the scape starts setting pods, lots of that fans energy goes to seed production, not flowers.
    You can fin lots of information and pictures of daylililes and their parts on the link below.
    Good luck, Ed

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS

• gloria8092
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I looked up images on my computer (I should have done this to begin with), and they are DEFINITELY seed pods. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO GET LOTS OF FLOWERS BACK BEFORE THE SEASON IS OVER?

• nat4b
    9 years ago

I don't think so. But they might rebloom. I only have instant rebloom here where the new scapes appear while the original still have buds.

• gloria8092
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your responses.

• weedyseedy
    9 years ago

Seed pods differ-I wish I had taken photos of H minor and H flava seed pods-all I have is old Hortensia-----------------------------------------Weedy

• gloria8092
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since this post and as soon as I received answers, I picked off all the seed pods because I wanted the plant to grow larger next year. Almost immediately both plants went south. All I have now are a few droopy leaves. More leaves die every day. I expect very soon I will have nothing. I don't remember the plants going so fast last year which was the 1st year I had them.

Should they have died so quickly considering that temperatures have been in the 80's and 90's the whole time? More importantly, WILL THEY COME BACK?

I want to plant more Daylillys in the same area (I should have just let the seeds fall). IF I PLANT NEW ONE'S NOW WILL THEY COME UP FULLER NEXT YEAR? IS IT ALREADY TOO LATE TO PLANT? I live in Allentown PA which I believe is zone 6a?

Thanks in advance for all answers

• Ed
    9 years ago

Gloria,
    Sorry, but I'm having a problem thinking you are serious about this. Have you consulted your professional gardener? They may be able to give you better advice than we can. After all, all we have to base our advice on is your descriptions, and so far it doesn't sound like daylilies would be described or act.
    I would recommend you take some pictures with your phone and then in the post preview mode, upload one with each post, if you would like us to be able to comment intelligently.
    Best of luck, Ed

• lynxe
    9 years ago

Do you have daylilies or true lilies, Gloria? Can you describe your plants or post a picture?

"I want to plant more Daylillys in the same area (I should have just let the seeds fall). IF I PLANT NEW ONE'S NOW WILL THEY COME UP FULLER NEXT YEAR? IS IT ALREADY TOO LATE TO PLANT? I live in Allentown PA which I believe is zone 6a?"

Both daylilies and lilies are perennial plants, with daylilies growing from a crown, leaves above and roots below, and with lilies from a bulb, with a stalk and leaves above and roots below. In both cases, assuming crown and bulb are OK, the plant is alive and should return next year.

The droopy leaves may be what you're seeing because the daylily is going dormant. (Due to drought?) Although it is a bit strange - I'm in PA and I have a garden full of green daylily leaves (and, mostly, brown scapes).

Question is, is the crown or bulb OK? Is there anything there in the ground or did something happen, like, say, eaten by a vole or crown rot or something?

"I want to plant more Daylillys in the same area (I should have just let the seeds fall). IF I PLANT NEW ONE'S NOW WILL THEY COME UP FULLER NEXT YEAR? IS IT ALREADY TOO LATE TO PLANT? I live in Allentown PA which I believe is zone 6a?"

And also....

If you'd let the seeds fall, and if they were to germinate, you'd end up with first-year seedlings next year, which might not even flower.

If you plant new daylilies to replace the ones you have/had, they'll come up fuller probably only if you plant bigger plants. :)

Allentown is probably zone 6B. Regardless --

I've been told that we should try to get our daylilies in the ground by Labor Day. But that's not to say you can't still plant. You might want to do it fairly soon though. Once the ground freezes, you might want to place rocks or bricks close around the crowns of the new plants, to prevent frost heave over the winter. But before you do any of those things, you probably want to check to see whether your scarlet daylilies are in fact still alive. :)

...scarlet lilies. I sure would like to see a picture, if you have one. Maybe they're lily lilies.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!