Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Wednesday & Thursday Blooms

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

Thunderstorms (2) have passed late this afternoon and delivered a good amount of rainfall to my gardens so I won't have to go out and water the vegetable garden tonight. Not that I would look forward to doing that in 90+ heat and humidity making it feel like over 100. Temps rolled back slightly but more heat/humidity in store for tomorrow till the cold front comes through. I haven't live/deadheaded in days so once the weather breaks I'll need to do a thorough cleanup and also cut back some other perennials.

HOT TAMALES AND RED HOTS - opening now. So hot this morning I kept waiting to get the right angle without a lot of sun hitting the bloom.

ALABAMA WILDFIRE - not a nice thought about a wildfire but the bloom is eyecatching. My bee balm is getting mildew from the weather. DARN! And it was suppose to be a variety that was mildew resistant.

KENTUCKY LUCKY - just starting

PENNY PINSLEY - one of my favorite doubles. Small first bloom but grows on tall scapes and plenty of blooms to go.

SOUL ON FIRE - best of the blooms so far. Unfortunately it had alot of bug damage on most of the blooms so far. Well budded, lots of scapes and increases great but this year, it did have some issues.

JERSEY SPIDER - does a wonderful bloom cycle. Couldn't get all the scapes in one pic but I'll try again when the weather breaks.

BROWN WITCH - another wonderful bloomer.just started on Wednesday.

CASTLE ROSE BELLE - always doubles here.

WHIP CITY OOPSIE - another of Lori Jones intros which I love. Always a spot for a nice tall yellow

and now for some repeats...
INTELLIGENT DESIGN - still going strong

BIG HONKING HEART THROB - still going strong

LAVENDER CREAM CASCADES - still budded and more blooms to go. It does cascade when it blooms. Nice.

PRISMATIC - a bit different look from when it first started blooming.

SIMPLY SCINTILLATING

RAMBUNCTIOUS ROSIE - polying

RAINBOWS GLORY - finally looking better after the 3rd set of blooms.

Time to read the forums and then get some dessert :-)

Julia

Comments (15)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful blooms, just beautiful. My favorite is a tie between HOT TAMALES AND RED HOTS and WHIP CITY OOPSIE. Sure are different from each other but both are so attention getting.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Lots of beautiful blooms. Whip City Oopsie, Prismatic and Lavender Cream Cascades are my picks, but the reds are pretty, too. How big of a bloom is LCC?

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LAVENDER CREAM CASCADES is registered at 5" and I would say that is accurate.

Rita: I thought you also got HOT TAMALES AND RED HOTS from Annette. Has yours started blooming?

Julia

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Nice! Hard to choose, but I think I like Lavender Cream Cascades, Prismatic and Rambunctious Rosie the best.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Lots of beautiful blooms. My choices are Hot Tamales and Red Hots, Whip City Oopsie and Rambunctious Rosie. You have really got some beautiful blooms, even with the heat and the rain. I hope you cool down soon.
    kay

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

You're making picking favorites far too difficult. They all look so good, but I'm going with Soul on Fire, Whip City Whoopsie, and Lavender Cream Cascades.
    Val

• shive
    10 years ago

Kentucky Lucky is looking really beautiful in your garden today. Castle Rose Belle is a really pretty double. I like its color and the way the petaloids look in the center. Intelligent Design is my favorite today. I always find that one very striking.

Debra

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Hot Tamales and Red Hots, Lavender Cream Cascades and Rambunctious Rosie are my picks. I didn't remember Penny Pinsley having that green throat--I like it!!! Okay, what kind of ice cream are you having tonight--LOL. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. So much is still blooming here but no energy.

Avedon: Penny Pinsley is a lovely shade of green in the throat.
    Here is last years pic. I just love this double.

I decided on a a Powdered Raspberry filled donut (large one too) for dessert. Saving ice cream for tomorrow ;-).

Julia

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

That's the best pic of Penny Pinsley I've ever seen. Outstanding!

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Even with the heat and humidity you have a stunning group of daylilies. Hope you cool down sone.
    Linda

• gonegardening
    10 years ago

I had to go look up Penny Pinsley. It's a little one! I am becoming very enamored of the littles. Your pictures make it very appealing.

I'm trying to remember what tour I was on when I saw Lavender Cream Cascades in several gardens. Probably Houston, given it's a Carpenter. Anyway, I remember thinking then how much I had liked it...and had forgotten until your pictures! Haha.

Rambunctious Rosie is my kind of gal...big and tall! Kentucky Lucky looks very proud today.

I feel your heat...I think Sunday we will get back down to the 80s...sigh. Try to stay cool.

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

Your Jersey Spider scapes look pretty sturdy. Mine mostly flopped around on the ground, unable to bear the weight of the blooms.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Penny Pinsley is wonderful here. When it blooms, it keeps on going and gets to the registered height on 90% of its scapes here. Many scapes on it this year again.

I never know for sure which Carpenters will do well here but so far, I've not been disappointed with any of them. I just got Waxen Splendor this spring so we shall see how it fairs here.

Jersey Spider has always done good here. I moved it last fall to a new spot in the same bed area but it didn't miss a beat.

Julia

{{gwi:889328}}

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Lots of pretties again today,KENTUCKY LUCKY is a beauty.I really like that one.. PENNY PINSLEY is a very pretty double. SOUL ON FIRE is very pretty, too, love them reds.. CASTLE ROSE BELLE is a great looking double.its been alful hot here, too, with NO rain,I have to go out and water again in a few minutes.

jean

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz