Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

branch counting help please

marricgardens
11 years ago

I have been trying to do a count of the branching on my seedling but I'm a little confused, I always come up with different answers! Can someone please help me out? Marg

{{gwi:762118}}

{{gwi:845108}}

Comments (9)

• mizellie
    11 years ago

I can't tell Marg. Looks to me to be 5 or 6. Lol!! Ellie

• dementieva
    11 years ago

Is it just one scape in the first picture? It almost looks like two scapes one in front of the other, so I don't know.

Whatever the number, it's good.

Nate

• shive
    11 years ago

When you asked about this earlier, I gave you an answer based on what I was taught several years ago by folks on the Tinker's Forum, who said that the top branch was counted as one, whether it was two-way or three-way. After looking at the AHS website, it looks like now they are officially counting all the branches on top. From the angle of your photo, it's hard to tell about the top and the first lateral branch. I would say you have at least five branches, based on info on the AHS website. Have you looked at that?

Debra

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I guess I was far out because I got 7. I'm going out to try and get a better picture. I've read the explanation on AHS website but I found it a bit confusing. Nate, there is only 1 scape on the plant. Marg

• dementieva
    11 years ago

It might be easier to see in a photo when all the blooms are finished. If that's all one scape, it looks like more than one branch is coming from the same bract.

Nate

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went out and took a few more pictures. I think the reason I counted the 7 was because I was counting both the ones that came off the scape plus all the small 'branches'.
    Maybe you can see clearer on these pics. Thanks. Maarg
    {{gwi:890806}}

{{gwi:890807}}

{{gwi:890808}}

• shive
    11 years ago

It's still hard to tell from these photos. I can't clearly see the whole scape. Based on these photos, I would still say 5. I can clearly count three on top and two laterals. Your first lateral seems to have a branch that goes in two directions, but you can only count one lateral branch per bract. I've never heard of daylily that had more than three branches on top. On top they either have two-way or three-way. You need to think in terms of MAIN branching. In any case, this plant is very well branched and you can be proud of it.

Debra

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Debra. I have just been reading about the main branching and laterals. This cleared things up a bit. Hope this plant does just as well next year. Marg

• Ed
    11 years ago

I think you're getting it; how to count the branching. I think in one picture, I see separation of the top three branches, so I would call it 5 laterals with terminal Y, or 7 way branching. I usually see terminal Y's but I have heard of terminal W's and always assumed that meant 4 way. I guess it depends on the font you're using!;0)
    Nice seeding Marg! Ed

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths