Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

July 4, 5 and 6 Blooms

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

I'm behind and still uploading pics to Photobucket :-P.
It has been very muggy/humid here and most days we've had rain late in the day but it doesn't cool us off. I think we will be about another week or so before peak.

AWESOME APPLIQUE - never a big performer but can have some nice blooms.

BLUE EYED BUTTERFLY - increases nicely, lots of scapes and buds.

DOWN HOME - okay, not stellar in growth but I do love the blooms.

DYNA GIRL - beautiful pink color, takes a few hours for it to open fully, tall and plentiful scapes, medium increaser.

EARTH MUSIC - newly planted last year, not enough time to assess but a nice blooms so far.

ENTER LAUGHING - good increaser, many scapes and buds.

FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN - good increaser, average scape height, forgot to count buds but I think it will be blooming for awhile :-)

HALF MOON KEY - another of my favorites. Nice tall scapes and plenty of buds to go with it.

INCENDIARY - not my favorite but it has alot of buds and scapes just appears to have problems opening.

INHERITED WEALTH - always increases quickly, many scapes and buds and good height.

JAMAICAN LOVE - WOW, it exploded this year. Past 2 days it always have several blooms open.

LAVENDER CREAM CASCADES - I'm so drawn to this one. Fair increase, tall scapes but bud count could be better per scape.

STEALTH BOMBER - I moved it from the front garden to the back to see if it improves in the blooms. Jury is still out.

WEB OF INTRIGUE - always a stellar performer here.

WINTER TREASURE - good increaser, okay on buds and scapes.

I'll end it here since Photobucket appears to be slow this evening. More tomorrow. :-)

Julia

Comments (19)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Alright, Julia, you have a lot of beautiful blooms. Since I love clumps, Web Of Intrigue is a beauty. Jamaican Love is doing wonderfully well. I really like the lovely bloom on Blue Eyed Butterfly. Half Moon Key is a favorite here, Dyna Girl and enter Laughing are doing beautifully. Love the color of Stealth Bomber. fire on The Mountain is my favorite color bloom. And Lavender Cascades is a lovely bloom too. I like Incendiary as well. Lots of lovelies today.
    kay

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

They are all beautiful and I love your comments. Fire on the Mountain is the one that really wowed me.
    Val

• hostabff
    10 years ago

All so gorgeous. Love them all, however my favorites are Jamaican Love and Web of Intrigue. Interesting color combinations on those two daylilies.

• shive
    10 years ago

Lovely photos of lovely blooms! I especially enjoyed the clump shots of Enter Laughing and Web of Intrigue.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Earth Music increases rapidly here and forms good husky plants. Good bloom substance. Web of Intrigue really is a very beautiful bloom; it just grows so well that one doesn't appreciate it.

• sann777
    10 years ago

You have so many buds on so many plants. Tell me, what kind of soil did you start with and what do you add to the soil when planting? Do you fertilize? I'm trying to increase buds. All of yours are beautiful clumps. Love the color of Half Moon Key. Sarah

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Love your photography :) I think my favorites are the second picture of AWESOME APLIQUE, WEB OF INTRIGUE, the deep plum color of EARTH MUSIC, and BLUE EYED BUTTERFLY!

Tammy

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Well, things look like they're exploding in your garden. Half Moon Key is one of my favorite pinks, too, and I hope Stealth Bomber improves in performance for you this year. I think it's a beauty.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sarah: We have clay soil here. I've raised the beds a couple of inches after tilling the existing soil and then added top soil. I do fertilize but only with alfalfa pellets or alfalfa tea in the spring. The rain this year has made a big difference as I don't water my gardens and have to rely on Mother Nature. Only new plantings get watered by me if no rain and even then I use rain barrel water for that if I have any.
    The downside to all the rain is making several blooms are looking splotchy (if that is a word) and heavily budded causing hang-ups(buds can't open all the way). I won't complain about the rain as it is a blessing and we could be in a drought situation.

Julia

This post was edited by juliany on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 8:41

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting the picture of Earth Music. Every picture I've seen here has left me wondering whether or not to get it. Is it really that dark? I love it. I do like Incendiary to, even if it doesn't open perfectly. Blue Eyed Butterfly is one of my favorites, mine is just budding up. Stealth Bomber is a very nice rich plum color, I love it with the brilliant green throat. Winter Treasure is always nice. Marg

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marg: Yes, the picture accurately shows the color and form. Mine is new from last year so over the long term, I don't know what it will be like but I'm sure others grow it and can add their comments.

Julia

• nat4b
    10 years ago

They are all beautiful. The pinks are so lovely, and my 2 favorites are Incendiary and Winter Treasure.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Beautiful blooms and clumps! I pick them all as favorites.

• pippi21
    10 years ago

Are these rebloomers? What do you do with the foliage after they are finished blooming? Do you cut it back to a few inches from the ground or just let it die back by itself?

I've just become interested in daylillies the last 2 years. Thanks to the generosity of my MAG group at plant swaps. I have Mary Todd, Frans Hal, Hearts of fire, and a few others NOID..Wished I knew how to post pictures but that's on my "Learn to Do list" for the future.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Regarding Earth Music: Robin Calderon of Earlybird DLS has it listed on the Lily Auction--eight fans starting bid $15. or buy it outright for $30.00 which must be a good deal. I think all your daylilies are just fine, with favorites being Web Of Intrigue, Winter Treasure, and Stealth Bomber. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pippie: For me, I let the foliage die back naturally and clean up as much as I can in the fall. Come spring, any other dead foliage gets cleaned out.
    I'm not sure I understand your question but if your asking if any of those pictured are registered as rebloomers, I don't know and I'd have to look them up in my plant database (PlantStep). Here in the north, getting daylilies to rebloom is not easy since our growing season is typically shorter than for those in more "warm" climate. Some do send up rebloom scapes and others, although registered as rebloom, do not.

Julia

• deangreen
    10 years ago

very very beautimous beautiful flower photos!!!! enter laughing is my favorite clump shot, but my fave daylily here is web of intrigue, always like those fine combos... :)

• lalalandwi
    10 years ago

Blue Eyed Butterfuly, mmmm! I just love how the eye stretches with the mid rib. Is there a term for that? I forget. Gorgeous! I see it it Web Of Intrigue & Jamaican Love too.

• gdjcb
    9 years ago

Juliany, Thank you for taking time to include info and clump pictures with your post. I know it takes longer, but I wish more posters would do the same, the actual garden stats and performance are so hard to come by.

Gale