Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Mini daylily with lighter color flowers

whaas_5a
9 years ago

Does anyone have recommendations for mini daylilies with lighter color flowers...ie white, pink or peach?

Looking for something in the 16" range that is a heavy bloomer with a dense set of fans. Later bloomers would be a bonus but mid-season is ok too.

I'm eying up these varieties. Sources would be appreciated too!

LULLABY BABY
MINI PEARL
SILOAM EDITH SHOLAR
ROSWITHA

Comments (11)

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Sorry is mini = short?
    I just wanted to write that I grow Lullaby Baby and it's way taller than 16". Well maybe because I grow mine in the shade.
    I have couple short ones, bicolor late Eenie Allegro, but it is not a prolific bloomer (again maybe because I keep it in the shade), and a pink short daylily with a lot of flowers I'd recommend is Siloam Double Classic (unless you already have it).

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello, appreciate the suggestion. I know I can easily find plants around that 16" size but blooms can very greatly.

Siloam Double Classic sounds like a good one to add to the list.

I'm looking for at least three varieties.

• Ed
    9 years ago

I can think of three hybridizers that specialized in small daylilies suitable for the northern areas. Henry's Siloam series, Apps' Bridgeton series and Sharp's Brookwood series. If you go to the AHS database and search for either the series or the hybridizer, you should be able to find lots to choose from.
    Btw, I used to grow both LULLABY BABY and MINI PEARL. Both were favorites. Not sure if LB would do well in the north, but MP probably will.
    Ed

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS database

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Have had good luck with Mini Pearl here west of Chicago

Sherry

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How does one go about finding selections with solid bud and fan counts? I have had plenty estblished daylily just not put out a nice set of fans which is just as important if you don't have a mass planting.

I feel like one can use the AHS to narrow down by size and color but there so so many cultivars I'm trying to seek the golden standards to start out with.

I came across the recent bud count thread so that will give me some plants to search.

Sherry, how is the bud count on your Mini Pearl?...assuming its established.

Edit: Should have clarified mini as in height of the fans. The flower can be any size...all about the bud count as the flower only lasts a day.

This post was edited by whaas on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 21:44

• Ed
    9 years ago

It's not just bud count. STELLA DE ORO is regarded by most as the most prolific bloomer, but it's bud count is very low. It achieves lots of bloom by putting up lots of scapes.
    Bud count is very dependent on how well the plant is grown. With premium growing conditions the plant may perform well, but very poorly when grown in poor conditions. I personally feel growing conditions influence bud count or total bloom more than any other factor.
    Ed

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

My Mini Pearl plants havent had what i would call spectacular bud counts but they send up alot of scapes. I have had flowers on my established plants for 5 weeks with about on average 6-8 flowers per plant at a time. I have had about 5 established plants in one space so it always looks good.

Sherry

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Ed,

Not sure I follow. Are you saying give the plant premium soil conditions and you'll be rewarded with plenty scapes and bud count so it doesn't matter the cultivar? Just focus on size and color?

Sherry, thanks for the info. I guess I look at total bud count no matter how many scapes they have.

• Ed
    9 years ago

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Pick the flower which looks good, is the right color and grow the plant well. Bud count is very misleading. I wouldn't put a high priority on it.
    If the buds are spaced well so that flowers don't interfere with each other and the branching is mostly toward top of the plant, then lots of buds is good. But if the flowers interfere with each other and bloom down in the foliage, you won't be pleased.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alright cool, I'll roll with that. If you or anyone here needs advice on conifers or trees hop on those forums and you'll be taken care of.

Thats a daylily right?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/conif/msg0711122711055.0710154315798.jpg

• ontnative
    9 years ago

I'm very impressed with my Mini Pearl in less than ideal growing conditions. USDA z.4

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting