Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Friday and its still hot and humid :-(

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

My title says it all. I'm spending most of my day ordering supplies for winter projects (quilting and embroidery), looking for that special TALL, white, round form daylily and then looking for canning supplies as I want to try doing sauces once the tomatoes start ripening.
So here is a sample of what is blooming here today. Got to hot and humid to continue outside.

EARTH AND ALL STARS - new this spring from Phil Korth. Lighter than his photo but not too bad first opening.

EVIDENCE OF ALIENS - started today. I like the way the bloom pulls back like it is in a wind tunnel.

PLUM FOOLISH - gotta move this one this year.

WESTMINSTER LACE - moved last fall so the scapes appear shorter than normal.

CAPACITY FOR WONDER - just starting

WESTBOURNE HARD TIMES - another one I want to have leave. Fine with buds and scapes but looks too much like ones I have already

WREN'S SONG - has been blooming but never can get a good picture of it before the sun hits it full on.

WHERE'S CAPTAIN KIRK - planted in the spring of 2012 but few buds and doesn't increase well yet. Time will tell.

LESLIE RENEE - planted near WREN'S SONG so getting a decent pic is hard. Best I could do so far.

CHICAGO FIRECRACKER - finally doubling

SUBURBAN POMPADOUR - reliable double

A couple of repeats worth posting

HOT TAMALES AND RED HOTS

JEALOUS JAKE W/FREEDOMS TRIUMPH

TEMPORARY AND ETERNAL

HALF MOON KEY - still pumping out the blooms

TRAHLYTA - still pumping out blooms and many more to go

MAUNA LOA - in your face brightness

DOUBLE RIVER WYE - another reliable performer

and ending with my ( and my husbands) garden and project companion Marmalade. She was keeping an eye on me but didn't want to move again off the porch. She got tired running up and down the garden beds. Smart cat, it was too hot.
{{gwi:893621}}

Julia

Comments (10)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't see many places that offer Jealous Jake. Is it not a fast increaser? I like its looks. Plum Foolish looks good too. I've had the same problem the last few days of not being able to get shots without the sun. Are you still working with seedlings?

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Jealous Jake and Freedoms Triumph look wonderful together! I really like them. Mauna Loa is a beautiful orange. I have that one, and don't remember it blooming...although the scapes are there to prove it. Maybe it started the week I helped with Vacation Bible School. Who knows? Trahlyta is doing wonderfully well. Mine did the est ever this year. Hot Tamales and Red Hots is beautiful. Love the way Evidence of Aliens has the wind blown look. Earth and All Stars, the new Korth, is a beauty. You have too many really great ones to choose one.
    kay

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Good grief. I forgot to tell you Marmalade is a pretty cat. Bet she'd like to lie under the fan the way my big cat, Billy, does.

kay

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

I really like Evidence of Aliens, Trahlyta, Double River Wye and Marmalade.

• shive
    10 years ago

It looks like you managed to get plenty of photos before the heat got to you. My favorite is Temporary and Eternal, which is just a lovely polychrome and so nice in a clump. I also enjoyed the clump shots of Half Moon Key and Trahlyta. Your clump of Mauna Loa is just on fire there. Mine only put up one scape this year, although I have 8-9 fans. I think it must get too much shade now to bloom. My favorite single bloom was your new Korth. I'd be interested in seeing more of that one. Marmalade is one smart cookie. Staying in the shade is the best idea when it's this hot and muggy.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mantis: Jealous Jake is not a fast increaser for me. I get most of my Carpenters from The Lily Farm (Mark Carpenter).

And yes, I am still growing seedlings. I've got too many to take photos of them all but soon I'll post pics. They are still blooming here too. Gotta get that part organized better .

What a bloom season, eh?

Julia

This post was edited by juliany on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 21:14

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

OH Goodness JULIa, you sure have the beauties today. I just love PLUM FOOLISH, that is soo pretty.and that
    WESTMINSTER LACE is so pretty. love the ruffles on it.
    WREN'S SONG is a beauty, too.. CHICAGO FIRECRACKER is a very pretty double, too.. SUBURBAN POMPADOUR is even prettier as a double, don't see many doubles that's really nice.Thats a nice clump of
    MAUNA LOA -. I have that one too, but it hasn't increased at all, maybe one fan.I had bopught a doble fan about 5 yrs ago at one of the stores,forgrt which one, but its moved anyway.. DOUBLE RIVER WYE is a very pretty one, too. and the cat is smart to get out of the sun and find some shade.

jean

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

I like your polychromes very much. I looked up Capacity For Wonder for I didn't know anything about it. Looks like a good one, and Temporary and Eternal is lovely. All the clump shots are great, and I just want to comment on Double River Wye. I like the look of the flowers and that shade of yellow is a big favorite of mine. Marmalade is a smart kitty, no use getting out in the sun when the temp goes up. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Avedon: If your interested in CAPACITY FOR WONDER, I have two clumps of it and would like to eliminate one. It would be about 5 to 6 fans. I just ask that you pay the postage for shipping and it won't ship till late August or early September.
    Registration Info:36",Tet,6",SEv,ML and that is very accurate as to how it performs here. With your zone, it may start earlier in the season for you. I just finished photos from early this afternoon and here is a pic of the one I would be eliminating. You might want to find out if any folks in your zone/region grow it and how it does. You can click on my name and send me an email via GW if your interested.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

CAPACITY FOR WONDER is truely beautiful. It ties with HOT TAMALES AND RED HOTS for my favorite. Marmalade is a pretty kitty. I love tortie patterned cats.