Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

The best for the buck

I ran across this list and thought you all might be interested. Granted it's older daylilies but having grown a few on the list I can say that their age detracts nothing from their value.
.............I've grown:
Bahama Butterscotch=deserves to be on the list.
Pandora's Box=One of my first daylilies. A mass of bloom
Pardon Me=There have been much better reds developed
Siloam June Bug=It's so cute. Just right for a small pot
South Seas=Still at the top of most people's list
Tuscawilla Tigress=I was late to it's charms but it's paying off
Yesterday Memories=An older pink that is as pink as some of the newer and more expensive hybrids.

I'd like to hear what you've grown and what your experience is with any of these. I'd be particularly interested in BURNING INHERITANCE, CHARLES JOHNSON, HOT EMBER, HUSH LITTLE BABY.....Maryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Value Poll

Comments (6)

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I've got too many from that list to even mention & I think almost all deserve to be listed there. The exceptions:
    Always Afternoon-not a bad plant, just nothing exceptional
    Barbara Mitchell-pretty flower but shorter than I would like & not a heavy bloomer
    Little Business-small unimpressive bloom, sometimes reblooms a little but nothing like it was advertised
    Pardon Me-like Little Bs, nothing impressive

Hush Little Baby took a while to get started in my garden, but it is a winner now. There may be heavier bloomers, but it does bloom well & the color is exceptional

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

An interesting list. The problem with some, such as Tuscawilla Tigress, is that they take too much space in their vigor.

• deangreen
    9 years ago

I don't recognize many of them, but I do grow Francis Joiner which became a nice blooming clump in a few years! every garden I see Ruby Spider or Tscwilla Tigress in, they always look wonderful, althoughi dont' have them.
    Siloam Dbl classic, Slm Ury Wnniford, and Slm Dvd Kirchoff are all standards for me and grow and grow for me, always nice. I like the height of the clump of S Ury Wnnfrd. so brigh and airy with that contrasting spot.
    only other one I have is Gentle Shepherd which I've ignored at the back of the bed for many years, but it always blooms up and shines white back there. I actually have a seedling I'm keeping this year that was tall and branched out white from good ole Gntle Shprd. :) One thing for sure is I certainly do like growing a nice tried and true diploid!
    Aabachee has always been on my list of maybe plants. I may try it as I wasn't too happy with Mahieu's Aniakchak this year. ha abacchee seems to be a little bolder colored

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Burning Inheritance hasn't been that vigorous here, but it's not in the best location. Hush Little Baby very good. Charles Johnson, interesting color, but fades badly in the heat.

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

South Seas has always been a winner for us, so long as it doesn't get too hot, at least that has been our experience. Burning Inheritance very showy, but doesn't expand rapidly. We have had it three years and only a couple of fans. It may be in too much shade. Avedon

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information on Burning Inheritance and Chas. Johnson. I see that Clothed in Glory is on the list too. The picture of that daylily in Wayside catalog was why I began thinking about daylilies in the first place. It wasn't your grandma's daylily with all those frills and that color. In reality it turned out to be my first lesson in what sunfast and colorfast meant, neither of which was Clothed in Glory. Gorgeous though in the early AM...........Maryl

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz