Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamagardengirl05

New...is this normal??

bamagardengirl05
10 years ago

My grandmother LOVED day lily....and I have recently moved into the home where she raised me. Not all, but some of the plants I remember as a child
Came up this year....while walking to the veggie garden today, I did a double take. My lily's are finished...some Stella's are still at it but those are "newer" plantings....not older ones from mom.
Is this normal??? I don't cut back my lily bloom stalks...I always heard it was good to let them feed the roots for the next season...so ugly as it may be....we let them alone.
New lily fans are growing from the bloom stalks...and two stalks didnt die...but stayed green up to a point...the fans have began growing at the base of where the flower stalk was...or...or a new stalk grew in where I didn't pull the old??? I've never seen this before in my life lol.
Showing photos of what it DID bloom weeks and weeks ago...and now what it's doing??
If its normal...do I wait till the arial roots get longer?? U can't see them but I can...just barely starting to form but not like any daylily root I've ever seen.
This hasn't been a big multiplier...all the others? Yes. This? Not so much. The soil is so good there that I can reach into it without a spade.....these are well cared for.
Pull these?? Are they deformed??

Comments (8)

• bamagardengirl05
    Original Author
    10 years ago

?? What?? Lol
    Am I just a complete newbie or is this normal??

• bamagardengirl05
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are planted in the same bed as a few other varieties..
    Only two stalks are growing like this....two fans from that one stalk and this baby fan from another...two diff lilies. Let me try to find a photo of the lily that matches up to this fan growth

• bamagardengirl05
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Two varieties....both doing this...how to "plant" the fan or can it be used? I wanted to to muktiply UNDER the ground lol

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

They are proliferations. When they get a little more developed (roots will be more apparent), cut off the stalk just below the proliferation and place in a pot in a somewhat shaded area. That's assuming you like the plant well enough to want to propagate the proliferations. Some nice daylilies, e.g., Green Arrow, regularly form proliferations. It will be a while before they are blooming size (but probably only one year in the South).

• polymerous
    10 years ago

What Mantis said. These are proliferations, and on some daylilies it is not unusual to get them. (It is something of a cultivar specific trait, in that some cultivars frequently make proliferations, whereas others seldom do.)

Consider it as another kind of asexual propagation; you are getting a small baby fan of the exact same genetics as the parent, except that the baby is growing on the scape rather than from the crown. You can cut and plant and grow it, or not (as you please).

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

It is not at all unusual for daylilies to produce proliferations. They occur more often on diploids, less often on tetraploids. You can cut the scape around two inches above and 2-4 inches below the proliferation, put it in a glass of water and it may start sending out roots. You would need to keep the water level at the bottom of the proliferation, enough to just barely touch the plant. Water should be changed daily. Once roots have developed, you can then plant it.

Instead of putting them in water you can carefully shove the scapes down into the ground near the "mother" plants, far enough down so that the bottom of the plant is just below the soil level. It may take root and grow.

Not all proliferations will grow. Some members of this forum may have other ways of inducing growth of roots.

These are basically clones of the parent plant. Below is a link to one hybridizer's method of growing proliferations.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Pickles' method of growing proliferations

• bamagardengirl05
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so very very much! Of course I love the lily not JUST because its part of my gran...they really are beautiful. I had no clue there were so MANY! I ended up at a page on hybridizing and it said more than 5,000 named and probably 1,000's floating about unknown.
    They said to rub the one pollen on the female part of another...if it works a seed pod would form...plant the seeds when they dry, ripen and bust...then 18 months later a lily should come up. That's a Long process I will leave to the experts but its interesting to read about HOW these cjme about an all the work that goes into it!
    I may try one in water, one in soil and the one that has the lost visible roots so far in soil but let it stay and grow longer on the stalk.
    I'm going to try to collect more of these beauties since the home we now live in (moved back to my family roots) has 3 acres...front is ALL sun...backyard shade. I moved from ALL shade. Now I have to learn more about what grows well in sun :) starting with day lily.

Off topic a little...do any of you recognize those?
    I want to tag them until I can separate the clumps.
    For future trades when they are big enough.

I have two others I will post for names if anyone is willing to give it a go??

• bamagardengirl05
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had one large orange type also...NOT the common "ditch" lily varieties...this was bigger and deeper orange. Not sure I have a photo...
    I saw a red one...my husband dig those mid bloom from our oner house to bring here. They NEVER bloomed there. All shade. I got to see three new colors "I" bought and planted but didn't get photos because he knocked off the blooms :( They were blooming in the pots lol.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County