Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Woohoo to Wednesday's Wonders

maximus7116
9 years ago

Peak bloom now in Michigan. I'm greeted by beds full of color every morning, including some new acquisitions this year:

OCCUPY YOUR GARDEN, a new one from Hanson, looks pretty good with its FFOs on a plant that's only been in the ground for a few months:

INHERITED WEALTH, an oldie but goodie:

FEMINIST BOOKSTORE has been here for years in too much shade and decided to bloom for the first time ever:

HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, the largest bloom in the garden:

A better shot of PAINTED DESERT, new last year:

CLOUDS OF KISSES, which I'd like better if it were taller:

ATLAS SHRUGGED has a crepey texture I love:

TREVI FOUNTAIN, always reliable:

SAFE ISLAND has been going strong for a few weeks now:

VULCAN LOGIC planted next to the weed garden:

CATCH THE WIND was much darker this morning because of our very cool temps last night:

BETTY HARWOOD, one of many bonuses from Curt Hanson this year:

And finally JELLYROLL MORTON, which I finally get to see bloom. I've had it for many years without blooms and finally ordered more from Curt, and of course those fans are the ones that are blooming now. Love this flower:

Chris

Comments (17)

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

I like Betty Harwood, Atlas Shrugged and Safe Island. They are all nice but those 3 impressed me. Is your Inherited Wealth that big of a flower or just the way the closeup was photographed? This is how mine look.

Julia

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Julia, mine doesn't appear to recurve as much as yours, and it is a fairly big flower (5-6"). I don't normally get as much pink in my blooms.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Lots of pretties! I like Vulcan Logic and Jellyroll Morton the best. I got Jellyroll Morton (along with CW) late last summer from Curt - two scapes, but it's nowhere near ready to bloom here yet, might be another couple of weeks.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

All beautiful. Like Vulcan Logic best, I'm a sucker for the purples.
    Sherry

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

oh golly, you have some beauties today,lOve FEMINIST BOOKSTORE. that is so pretty,as well as HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER,It does look big.VULCAN LOGIC is my favorite, but,I like CATCH THE WIND , too, and HARWOOD. all are soo pretty.

jean

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

I see that Occupy Your Garden has Women Seeking Men as a parent. The latter is huge and robust. I suspect that Occupy has similar plant habit.

• shive
    9 years ago

I really like that Trevi Fountain. I'm looking for a tall yellow, and that one might work. You are showcasing so many lovely Hansons today. Feminist Bookstore, Catch the Wind, Vulcan Logic and Betty Harwood are my favorites among those.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Feminist Bookstore, Cloud of Kisses and Safe Island are my top three, but it was hard to choose......Maryl

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

When I had Trevi Fountain, I thought the blooms crowded each other in clump strength.

• gonegardening
    9 years ago

Occupy your Garden! Love it, love the name! That and Betty Harwood and oh, let's see...Clouds of Kisses, Catch the Wind....nice, nice, nice.

So many to like! Love that some decided to get going this year....were they worth waiting for? Today's flowers looked like they were begging to have their pictures taken. Such pretty ham bones!

Beautiful day!

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Occupy Your Garden will develop a watermark once it has settled in. (Do I own many that don't have watermarks?) I think it will be a winner.

Curt sent Betty Harwood with a note that it's received praise from growers everywhere, so he thought I might want to try it out. I appreciate getting bonuses I wouldn't normally choose (that watermark thing, you know) so I can have a little diversity in the garden. Not bad for a newbie.

Mantis and Debra, I really like Trevi Fountain -- so much so that it survived numerous cullings in the garden. It's a beautiful, clear lemon yellow and tall enough to stand out. I've never noticed crowding in the blooming here. Debra, it may not be tall enough for you (maybe 26"), but Kaskel's Hot Cakes is another vibrant yellow that does well here. It's more of a flat-faced bloom and I think you were looking for a bagel? At any rate, it's a good one.

Must move Vulcan Logic. It was always one of my favorites, and the area in which it's planted is getting too much shade and is next to an area of weeds I don't even mow. It deserves a better spot.

• shive
    9 years ago

Chris - That's interesting that you estimate Trevi Fountain is about 26 inches in your garden. It's registered at 36 inches. I wonder if that's a typo in the registration. I'd liket to have a yellow that's at least 30 inches tall to plant with some of my 36 inchers. It's good to know yours doesn't have crowded blooms. Mantis apparently doesn't grow it anymore.

Debra

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, Debra, the 26" description went with Hot Cakes, Trevi Fountain is at least 30" here (more like 34", and grown in part shade).

• shive
    9 years ago

Thanks! I think I will definitely add Trevi Fountain. I don't have enough yellows in the garden. They are a cheerful way to separate odd colors that don't go together.

Debra

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Jellyroll Morton is my favorite.
    Is the color similar to a watermelon red?
    I'm putting that one on my want list.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Lots of pretties! Love Occupy Your Garden lol at the name. I like huge blooms so High Plains Drifter is my pick today too. I also like Feminist Bookstore and Safe Island.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ruth, I think watermelon describes the color well. Today's were the first blooms so I may post more later, if they look better. If you google photos of it, you'll see how great it looks for others once it's established.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living