Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

Finally, I did something right! (1 pic)

Nancy Barginear
11 years ago

As I was checking out the last few blooms in the garden this morning, in the back row I spied something interesting. Was I ever surprised and thrilled when I saw this lovely FFO seedling. I couldn't wait to get back inside and look up the cross. I went outside this evening to measure its diameter and found it in perfect condition still, in spite of our long, hot day.

Mama's Cherry Pie x Unknown (8")

Nancy

Comments (15)

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

WOW. That is a beauty. I love the color blends in that flower.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

WOW, I also think its a beauty. i Love it, lOve the sculped(misp) look about it and just love this color too. WOw.

jean

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Rita and Jean. I appreciate the critique! Glad you like it.

Yesterday, I had one of those real "dog" seedlings bloom for the first time. It was polypetal with some petals sticking up trying to double and others flat. The color was really gross. I wouldn't even dare breathe a word of who the pod parent is, it's that bad! It was hard to believe it, coming from the parents. I really bombed on that cross. It was the second ugliest daylily I've ever seen. So finding this beauty was very uplifting, to say the least!

Nancy

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

That is a beautiful color and a lovely form. Well done, Nancy.
    kay

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Very pretty flower. Love the color and the ruffling and 8" Wow!
    Val

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Kay and Val. You know how the FFO's are - sometimes they are the utmost gorgeous bloom to be had on the plant, never to be quite so stunning again. I hope that's not the case. I couldn't believe my eyes when I measured it. I had to do it three times to make sure.

I've had a few of the fall-planted tet seedlings in the backyard bed to bloom this year, but not many. I wasn't expecting any more from them this year. I think the unusual amount of rain we've had this month has really helped.

Last year I asked some questions here at the forum if anyone knew about the importance of early morning sun, and no one seemed to know if it made a difference. (Our daylilies were getting at least 5-6 hours of sunlight, but the ones at the back next to the fence were not thriving.)

We had an existing 6' board fence across the back (as well as the sides), so we had it and some trees removed or trimmed, and installed a wrought iron one. That and the rain have made a tremendous difference, especially in those planted in the last row closest to the fence.

Nancy

• polymerous
    11 years ago

Very pretty pastel colors. Congrats.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Nancy: I agree on the nice pastel color. Always a pleasure to see what seedlings are blooming.
    I'm always amazed at first year seedlings blooming and others that don't. Genetics perhaps?

Julia

• dementieva
    11 years ago

I would describe the main color there as "nude." Not a color you see very often in daylilies, surprisingly. Very cool.

Nate

• houstmag
    11 years ago

WOW!!! you have a winner, very pretty seedling.
    Linda

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Nate - you have given me an idea for a name for this lovely lady - Goya's The Naked Maja. LOL

Nancy

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Hi, Nancy, with Nate's help I was going to go for "Cutie Nudie" but The Naked Maja is much more elegant and suited for your totally gorgeous seedling. As far as crosses go, well, it's always a crap shoot, isn't it? I did a cross with an award winning hybrid and a wonderful Carpenter seedling and all five flowers were disappointing. The kindest thing I could call them was mediocre and they were donated to the Master Gardener's sale. You don't have to worry about that with this one, I hope. I think it's a winner. Avedon

• dani_plus_2
    11 years ago

I would name it "Lady Gaga" !!!!! Very pretty!

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love the name suggestions - they are hysterically funny!

I was lazy at the beginning of pollinating season, so didn't keep a record of the pollen parents' names. So I'm speculating here, and am suspecting that Angelwalker might have been the papa.

Nancy

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

That one is beautiful! A pastel lovers heaven!

Rena'