Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opnjmprs

Busy day ends with a rainbow

opnjmprs
9 years ago

I'm always surprised over the amount of crosses that just don't take. My little tub is full of tags from aborted crosses. DH always wonders why I'm so set on making so many crosses this time of year, and it takes up the better part of my morning. Anyway here are some pics from today.

Been waiting for this one to bloom...always a late here is Small World Snow Fox

Small World Dream World

Red Friday looking better than usual here

Atomic Glow

Ledgewood Pansy Eye sdl

Shamrock Shore sdl

Different Pink Lemonade Party Seedling...sorry about the spent taller seedling in the row behind.

Voodoo Magic sdl

Sanford Intermezzo sdl

unidentified sdl

and a rainbow ends the day

Comments (12)

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

I like that unidentified seedling best. And the rainbow is a beauty.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

You have a huge house--or is that the neighbor's? I like that Voodoo Magic seedling. Pink Lemonade Party one looks good too. All of the seedlings have interest. Beautiful crimping on Shamrock Shore one.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

My favorite is the Pink Lemonade Party seedling, and I love the simplicity of Small World Snow Fox. Thanks for the rainbow pic -- first one I've seen this year.

• opnjmprs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mantis.....the building in the pic is our barn. It's a lot bigger than our house. I just thought it was neat to see the rainbow arching over it, and a few of the dl beds below it.

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Nice space you have but you know, the more space you have, the more you have to grow LOL. Seedlings look good. The Sanford Intermezzo sdl has a nice face.

Julia

• opnjmprs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Julia....We have 80 acres here. Most of it is dedicated to pasture and crop production. As far as daylilies go, I'm the only one who tends to them, and I've already over extended myself. My most productive seedling bed is already over crowded (which is why some of the seedlings in my pics look like they are down in the foliage), as many of the shorter plants are being invaded by taller growing ones. Makes it very difficult to evaluate some of them. I wish I knew someone nearby who would like to collaborate with the daylilies, maybe take a plot and do some of their own crosses, and help with maintaining the beds. I'm in my 60's now. Between the horses and the daylilies.....well I'm on the go most of the day, and I still have to get a new bed ready for this years crosses. Making beds is easy....keeping them neat and well managed is another. lol

Linda

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Your seedlings are beautiful, I think I like the last one the best. I love the rainbow picture, very nice!

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Linda: We have 60+ here so I know exactly the feeling and although it is nice to have all the open space, it leads to expanding the gardens and your right, you have to maintain it.
    I'm taking a couple years off from hybridizing and work with what I have once I clean out the one bed and keep what I want.

I'm tackling registered dls this year too. But i still love my garden and time I spend outdoors is golden.:-)

Julia

• shive
    9 years ago

The rainbow shot is fantastic. It looks like Pink Lemonade Party has give you several pretty seedlings. I like both of the other seedlings too!

Debra

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Love the rainbow pic! I saw one here this past Sunday but didn't have my camera with me. Also love all the room :)
    Nice flowers and pretty seedlings! Love the last sdlg the best today, and my fave registered ones are Small World Dream World and Atomic Glow.
    Red Friday looks nice! I wish it was a little brighter or something not so faded looking.
    So, what do you tell your DH (re many crosses)? :)

• opnjmprs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nat4b.....Hubby is a cross between physics major, very good electrical engineer, add in a strong dash of farmer. Actually he understands my need to explore dl crosses.....though he does grumble about making the new beds. However he won't help with the maintenance at all, and I don't blame him. DL's is my thing....not his.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

I used to ask for new beds as presents :)