Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

The Peak that Never Was

mantis__oh
9 years ago

Normally, this would be blooming peak, but this year so many plants didn't bloom, had low bud count, or had stunted scapes that I don't know when peak was. But it was a beautiful day today--partly cloudy, low humidity, and highs near eighty. I like partly cloudy a lot!

In a difficult bloom season, one appreciates oldtimers. Here is Nobel with Strutters' Ball:

And the old Sambo Wilder:

A washed-out Victorian Lace had a visitor that I couldn't ignore:

Linda Beck was a star:

Change of Heart was big and bold:

Ruby Storm (a dormant):

Please Say Yes:

Catastrophe Waitress is a well-budded plant in the garden:

\

The old Border Lord has low bud count this year:

Wall of Fire had its last flower:

Casa de Juan is often splotchy:

Point of Divergence has fewer flowers this year:

Old Prince of Midnight:

Ebony Jewel:

Two Times Tardy:

Sara Christine with its huge first blooms:

Jungle Jack Joiner

Comments (18)

• njmomma
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness I want so many of these. I can't wait to see Please Say Yes blooming in a clump. Strutter's Ball and Change of Heart -WOW!!!

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

I do so miss Linda Beck. Your pic of it is fantastic. It was one of my hard winter casualties, and I'm trying to determine if I have any fans left.

Linda

• deangreen
    9 years ago

Change of heart is very bold. I like it! also like the purple one in the first photo. lots of pretty photos!! thanks

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Nice group. I have the feeling it will be the same here with not such a big "peak" to the bloom season but still enjoyable though. So many here haven't bloomed yet .

CHANGE OF HEART caught my eye. How big is the bloom? Tall scapes?

Julia

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Love the moth pic! So many nice daylilies too... my favorites are Linda Beck, Change of Heart, and of course, Catastrophe Waitress.

• marricgardens
    9 years ago

Your pictures are awesome! I love the first pic and the one with the moth. Great shots! As for the daylilies, I love Point of Divergence, Sambo Wilder, Border Lord, Change of Heart and & Jungle Jack Joiner. Will have to look those up and get some stats on them. And my wish list gets longer! Marg

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

The pictures are gorgeous, Mantis. I am particularly fond of Catastrophe Waitress and Two Time Tardy, but even Strutters' Ball is vibrant and lovely. Wall of fire, just a wonderful plant. So many pretty ones.
    kay

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Nice flowers. I've noticed the lower bud count and shorter scapes too. But those shorter scapes with low bud count are coming out of the sides of the fans, which I believe are rebloom scapes from last year that never were. I'm seeing on the same plants scapes coming from the center of the fans that are taller with higher bud counts on them. Then there are the regular disappointments. I keep thinking, maybe this will be the year the scapes will be the height they're supposed to be, and the buds won't start dropping like flies, but they continue to disappoint. If it wasn't for their pretty flowers they'd get shovel pruned (String Bikini comes to mind).

Karen

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Julia: Change of Heart is tall, with large flowers, and lived through a difficult winter.

Kay, obviously your posts led to my getting Wall of Fire.

Marg: Sometimes those older ones get overlooked, and this forum an help call attention to them.

Linda, Linda Beck is very fine, but I am afraid it will not be a fast multiplier here.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

You know how I feel about Catastrophe Waitress. How are you liking the coloring? Prince of Midnight is such a beautiful oldie. Still no blooms from Wall of Fire here. Casa de Juan really caught my eye.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Ooh lots of beauties! Love the first pic. I think I need more whites :)
    Thanks for the comment on Casa de Juan, it always tempts me when I see it.
    How do you like Wall of Fire?
    I also like Victorian Lace and Linda Beck. My LB unfortunately died :(

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wall of Fire has not grown here for a long time. But it clearly appears to be a superior daylily--good clear color. It's large and consistent.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Catastrophe Waitress is a rich color. Sometimes it seems a bit too mauve. The only real negative is that it does not like afternoon heat.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

So many nice flowers, I just keep looking back over them. Love the colors on Casa de Juan, too bad it tends to be splotchy though. Catastrophe Waitress is really nice, love Wall of Fire. I really like the colors of Prince of Midnight too, I have a flower here that reminds me of it, but right now I can't think of the name of it. Linda Beck is on my gotta have list.

• shive
    9 years ago

Please Say Yes has such pleasing tones and ruffling in your garden. Maybe mine would do better planted in the ground. How does it perform for you there? Linda Beck is both pretty and prolific. It was the best performer in my island bed this year, even though it was a bit short on scapes and buds compared to past years. I envy that gorgeous bit bloom on Wall of Fire. I'm just trying to keep my one small fan alive. What is the insect on Victorian Lace? Is it a type of hummingbird moth?

Debra

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

It took Wall of Fire about three years to really start multiplying here. And after the awful winter, it had the best year it has had with a very satisfactory amount of bloom. I don't believe it has ever has a bloom that wasn't perfect. Glad you are liking it, Mantis.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I think it's a Clear-Winged Hummingbird Moth. Please Say Yes is vigorous here; makes husky fans, which probably a pot constricts. Linda Beck is healthy, but small here.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

wow! Linda Beck is a beauty.Love that one. and CHANGE OF HEART is a beauty, too. and that dark purple is a beauty too.

jean