Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Tuesday Blooms

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

Rained last night and then again early this morning but then the sun came back out. Suppose to be quite cool (70's) for the next couple day with nighttime temps dipping way down. Thank goodness.

New openings first.

CITRON ENCHANTER - Couldn't get both blooms in one pic so here they are separately. I'm using it this year for hybridizing.

LAURA HARWOOD - rough start.

SECRETS AND LIES - not sure if I showed this one before. So many blooms on it this year.

FORTY SECOND STREET - Off to a good start

INDY SNOWFALL - doing a fine job

Repeats from past few days and today.
ROCKS CRY OUT - faded a bit

SCIENCE OF MIND

STARTLE - missed it this morning so took this pic this evening while cleaning up the bed.

CONCORDE NELSON - putting on a show

RAINBOWS GLORY - blooming away and working the kinks out.

EMPEROR'S CHOICE - not the whole plant but a good eye full.

JAMIE DOCKERY - on overload and Crown Of Creation peeking out.

EVIDENCE OF ALIENS - didn't mind the rain at all. First pic from yesterday and second from this morning. Still look like they are in a wind tunnel. LOL

WORTH IT ALL - still opening

BEST KEPT SECRET - not a favorite for me but she blooms nicely.

KIPLING - must have heard me when I said either shape up or your shipping out to the compost heap.

BACKSEAT ROMANCE

ISLE OF PATMOS - looked very burgundy yesterday morning.

INCA APOTHECARY - never know from one day to the next how intense or faded the blooms will appear.

And finally BACK TO THE FUCHSIA - I have a mental block with spelling the name of this one correctly.

That is it for tonight. Time to read the forums and build a wish list and grow that money tree ;-).

Julia

Comments (11)

• TNY78
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Indy Snowfall and Science of Mind are BEAUTIFUL!!! I usually don't go for pastels, but I love your pictures of them!

Tammy

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Julia, your garden is just bursting with blooms! Beautiful. Kipling has really shaped up. I like it. I still really like Evidence of Aliens. That Wind tunnel look is something! James Dockery, Rainbows Glory, so may lovlies. Rocks Cry Out is blooming well. but Citron Enchanter is my pick tonight. I really like that one, and I usually don't like a yellow edge, but it works with that rick red-wine color. Love it.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Marvelous shots of multiples! Is Secrets and Lies indeed very sunfast? Your plants seem to be enjoying the moderate temps; except for Rocks Cry Out, the colors all look unusually dark. i was unfamiliar with Concorde Nelson. Is it a reliable performer? Best Kept Secret I also was not that fond of here. Is Rainbow's Glory a consistent performer also? My fave is Jamie Dockery.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 23:32

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

There are so many nice ones that picking favorites is a challenge, but I'm going with Rocks Cry Out, Indy Snowfall and Emperor's Choice. What is it about Best Kept Secret that you don't like? Looks? Performance?
    Val

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

JULIA;I cant pick a favorite out of these,They are all just gorgeous booms. only one I don't care much for is the last one, but all the others are so pretty, I just can not pick just one or even two or three for favorites.They are really blooming their hearts out. so many blooms and so very pretty.gosh, they are beautiful.

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for commenting.
    BEST KEPT SECRET looks so similar to some others that I have that I plan to move it out of the garden. It performs just fine but I have too many which look too similar so time to move them out.
    ROCKS CRY OUT photo was taken at the end of the day as was INDY SNOWFALL and SECRETS AND LIES.
    CONCORDE NELSON was planted last fall so the scapes are shorter than normal this year but I'm expecting much taller scapes next year. Increased okay.
    RAINBOW'S GLORY has been moved 2 times since I got it 3 years ago. Once I got the Rice bed organized, I moved it with the others and it seems to be doing better. Not fast increaser so far but I just moved it last fall. It was top heavy in buds this year but many of the daylilies here were that way and I think it has to do with all the rain we got.

EMPEROR'S CHOICE always does good here. I divided the clump last year in the fall and it didn't skip a beat this year. Now I have a second one to find a home for. LOL.

Julia

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Great blooms, Julia. So many I have never heard of, so I looked up the ones I liked best--Indy Snowfall, like that it is a late bloomer, how's the bud count? Science Of Mind, I think the picture on AHS database doesn't look anything like your picture--wish the scapes were taller, but a beautiful DL. Evidence Of Aliens, love the color combination, and it is tall enough for me-HA. Avedon

• polymerous
    10 years ago

Lol - I LOVE that photo of 'Crown of Creation' "peeking out" of 'Jamie Dockery'!

• deangreen
    10 years ago

I really like the clumps of science of mind and indy snowfall... very nice pics all! :)

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Another great show, Julia. I realized how many clumps you have of daylilies I struggled to grow here: Indy Snowfall, Jamie Dockery, Science of Mind, Kipling and Startle. Your pics remind me of why I wanted them in the first place. The standout for me is Isle of Patmos, with that beautiful coloring.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Lots and lots of beauties! I like so many of them to list, but the first one, Citron Enchanter is my very favorite, what a beautiful daylily!