Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Mild Friday

mantis__oh
9 years ago

It was in the low 50s last night, which means that most flowers were slow to open.

Many cultivars are really pathetic this year. For example, Victorian Lace is stunted with poor bud count. One sees how it must perform in colder climes, as we had a zone 5 winter (maybe closer to zone 4). But a few cultivars are surprisingly good this year. Here is Blue Pink Beauty, loaded with buds and never more beautiful.

In the afternoon photo, the "blue" in the name was apparent.

Primal Scream was brilliant:

Hello Screamer had first blooms open:

Peggy Jeffcoat showed her face today:

Fear Not has had perfect blooms:

Suddenly Last Summer is new:

South Seas glows in its clump:

I'm more happy with Ashton Giggles:

Glad that I discovered Musical Medley:

Thanks to Edward, I've been enjoying Yellow Monkey:

William Austin Norris is good this year:

Mephistopheles:

Gavin Petit has had very diseased foliage. Hope that isn't typical.

Alabama Jubilee is probably the brightest orange in the garden:

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 21:36

Comments (14)

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

wow. you got lots of Beauties today. love your first one.
    Blue Pink Beauty,and it IS a beauty,, too. Fear Not is a really pretty one, too.and Suddenly Last Summer is a beauty, too. but I think Mephistopheles: is my favorite of these.I love purples and reds., but,Musical Medley is a very pretty one, too. gosh, they are all beauties.

jean

• shive
    9 years ago

Peggy Jeffcoat is such a pretty double, and I like the fiery orange glow of that Alabama Jubilee clump. By the way, Victorian Lace is one of few Stamiles that is performing well in my garden.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 13:31

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

I really like Suddenly Last Summer....love the saturated color. and the water mark. I have 2 clumps of Alabama Jubilee, and it really stands out in my hot bed.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Note to self: Get Alabama Jubilee. Wowzer!.....South Seas is nice here too. Peggy Jeffcoat and Blue Pink Beauty are more favorites of mine in this group.......Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

When I read your staetment on Victorian Lace I could only think again how I wish the one I had here had died from our last winter. However, it did survive, unfortunately, has scapes but will be on my list to leave the garden.

Yellow Monkey looks good. Too bad about Gavin Petit. Do you know what is affecting it? I'd be inclined to dig and isolate the plant.

Julia

• ontnative
    9 years ago

What a beautiful collection of daylilies! In my colder zone, I have mostly yellows so far.

• deangreen
    9 years ago

Yello Monkey, how wonderful. I like that first pic no matter the bud count, very pretty! :)

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Primal Scream and Fear Not are two of my favorites - neither is blooming here yet. I too bought Yellow Monkey after seeing Edward's pictures. I had to dig it up in the spring and move it because of a landscaping project we had going on, but it has a couple of scapes, so hopefully I will see it bloom here soon. Suddenly Last Summer is beautiful!

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Julia, since there is a lot of leaf streak in the garden this year, I don't know whether Gavin P is more susceptible or not. Some cultivars, such as Night Embers, always seem to have bad foliage. I tossed that one.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

So many beauties! Especially love Suddenly Last Summer and Fear Not.
    Victorian Lace has a low bud count here but I don't have many light (white) dls so it stays. Btw, what's bud count on yours this year?

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Lots of lovely blooms, Mantis. I always like to see Alabama Jubilee, and that is a lovely clump shot It rebloomed here this year. Blue Pink Beauty is a beauty both early and late. South Seas looks really good. It is always a little later to fully open than most of mine (I take photos around 6:15 AM) What really impresses me, is the delicate beauty of Musical Medley. This was a very nice post.
    kay

• njmomma
    9 years ago

They are all so lovely but Blue Pink Beauty is going on my wish list now.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I missed this post when I was gone for the weekend, but this is my favorite group of blooms of yours so far. Suddenly Last Summer is a stunner, and Fear Not really does look perfect.

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Mantis, I love your photographs. All of these are fantastic, with a special nod to Primal Scream, Yellow Monkey and Blue Pink Beauty. We grow Alabama Jubilee and South Seas and know how good they are. I am putting this post on my clippings page so I can go back and see it anytime. Avedon