Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Blooms and garden pics on Tuesday

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

I finally did a live and dead heading session tonight. I have been a bit lazy but decided it was time to clean things back. A storm is headed this way for Wednesday afternoon so I hope I am able to get a few more pics. Suppose to bring us some cool weather once it passes.

ALL AMERICAN GIRL - got this last year and it is doing really well. Increased nicely, tall scapes and a lovely first bloom.
{{gwi:900539}}

DRESS BLUES - wasn't doing too good last year so I moved it to the "Rice" bed and now it has finally settled in. Not to shabby first bloom openings.
{{gwi:900540}}

ROCKS CRY OUT - got it this spring from Phil Korth.
{{gwi:900541}}

TILL THE END OF TIME - it has bloomed before but I wasn't happy with the color the camera was picking up. Opened again today and this is how it actually appears to my eyes.
{{gwi:900542}}

WATERSHIP DOWN - still sitting in a pot as I ran out of room. Not a bad looking bloom.
{{gwi:900543}}

SMUGGLERS GOLD - another newbie this year. Still in a pot trying to find the right spot for it.
{{gwi:900544}}

CHERRY CUSTARD CHEESECAKE - always a performer
{{gwi:900546}}

ONE TWO KANGAROO - another good performer
{{gwi:900547}}

FOREVER RED - increases so so, limited number of buds.
{{gwi:900548}}

PRAGUE SPRING - reliable performer. I believe it is nocturnal.
{{gwi:900549}}

OH GREAT ONE - new this year. I love Benz daylilies so glad I got this one.
{{gwi:900550}}

FREEDOM'S TRIUMPH - off to a rocky start this year.
{{gwi:900551}}

JOAN DERIFIELD - another reliable performer
{{gwi:900552}}

MEAN GREEN - got this last spring and it has taken off this year.
{{gwi:900553}}

BLACK FALCON RITUAL - seems a few of us have this one. It truly is a good daylily. Curt sends such nice plants. This one has been here since 2011.
{{gwi:900554}}

SPARTICUS ADORNED - always a bright spot.
{{gwi:900555}}

RASPBERRY BANANA CHEESECAKE - another reliable performer
{{gwi:900556}}

CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER - another great performer.
{{gwi:900557}}

I have to show PINK DEBUTANTE. She really looked so pretty in pink today.
{{gwi:900558}}

WHIP CITY BREEZIE looked too good to pass up showing another pic of it. Love all those buds too.
{{gwi:900559}}

Now for some garden shots.
{{gwi:900560}}

{{gwi:900561}}

{{gwi:900562}}

{{gwi:900564}}

{{gwi:900565}}

{{gwi:900566}}

{{gwi:900567}}

{{gwi:900568}}

{{gwi:900569}}

Okay, I'll stop here. More to come in a few days. Still need to show you all my seedlings but on another day.

Julia

This post was edited by juliany on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 5:52

Comments (11)

• shive
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful garden shots! I enjoyed the tour. My favorite photos of daylilies were Cherry Custard Cheesecake and Joan Derifield. I loved all purples too, even Freedom's Triumph with it sepals that didn't want to open

Debra

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

The garden shots are great. Your beds look so nicely laid out and manageable unlike my jungle. My favorite flowers are Mean Green and the two Cheesecake clump shots.
    Val

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Very nice show! The garden shots are wonderful, and there's too many great daylilies to name all the ones I loved. The Hansons look great, and I really enjoy your photography. That shot of Pink Debutante is beautiful. All American Girl is a beauty, and I also really like Mean Green. Like I said, I could go on and on.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Such a spacious vista behind your garden. I agree that Dress Blues is looking good! Cherry Custard Cheesecake looks so fresh; I just wish it were a bit larger. Smuggler's Gold is too vigorous here, taking more than its share of space. It has great substance, but can be slow in opening. Mean Green is filled with buds. Looks like nice colors on Whip City Breezie; hope to see more of that one. Forever Red I didn't like here. Oh Great One looks as though it has great substance.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

oh goodness what some gorgeous bloomsI love the first one,,ALL AMERICAN GIRL -. that's gorgeous.and DRESS BLUES is beautiful, too.also TILL THE END OF TIME , gee what a beauty. WATERSHIP DOWN is gorgeous, too, Ilove purples and reds.FOREVER RED - is really nice, too, but, JOAN DERIFIELD is my favorite of them all, but I do love that last pink one a lot too. and I love all your garden shots. its all so pretty..don't know how you keep the deer from eating up all the blooms,as it didn't look like you had the fence all around everything.Looks like you have a nice veggie garden too.home grown veggies always taste better then store bought.I really loved the tour of your gardens, soo pretty,

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. It was so worth doing the live/deadheading chore last night. Looked out this morning and the garden has a new flush of color. Something magical about bloom season. But I'm afraid tonights session may require a couple of wheelbarrows to get it all hauled away again.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Love ONE TWO KANGAROO and especially love all those garden shots. I always love to see how peoples gardens are laid out and what is growing.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Great selection for Tuesday, so many beauties! Love all the pinks, and purples, and Cheesecakes :) Mean Grean has pretty colors,
    And love love love the garden views, especially your row beds.
    I so agree about liveheading at night for a more beautiful view next morning :)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I absolutely adore the garden shots. You will be in peak neighborhood before too terribly long. All the beds look wonderful! The third and Sixth pictures are my favorites. Your patio is wonderful! Dress Blues looks great. My tulip tree has gotten too wide and is due for some severe shaping this winter because it is putting out so much shade, My Dress blues didn't do well.

I love Mean Green and Freedom's Triumph, Watership Down is lovely.

kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. I thought it would be fun to post some garden shots to show where we are in the bloom season here. Given the heat and rain, we are going to bloomfest mode quickly now. Mid July is typically peak bloom here so we are right on schedule this year.
    About 1/2 of the daylilies are blooming but still many to go yet for their FFO.

Julia

• User
    10 years ago

Julia,
    I love all the garden shots. It's nice to see how others are arranging their gardens. Your pergola is beautiful. This is something we have talked about added to the patio and never seem to find the time. I love yours!

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions