Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taurustendency

white seeds?

taurustendency
10 years ago

is it normal to run across white seeds in your pods? what does this mean they are not fully mature? bad? sick? mutated?

just curious, we had some last year and threw them out. and now again this year. im thinking of keeping them anyways. couldnt hurt right?

Comments (7)

• dementieva
    10 years ago

If the seeds look normal (large and round) but are white, you probably need to wait longer to harvest the pods (they aren't fully mature). I had a damaged pod this year so I harvested it early, and the seeds looked like I described above. I tossed them, but I don't know whether they were mature enough to germinate.

In general, you need to wait until the seed pods start to crack open, or at least close to that point. The pods will be full sized for quite a while (a couple weeks?) before they start to crack open. If one pod cracks open and the others are the same age, you can probably harvest them all.

Nate

• taurustendency
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well, thats what i thought and had read at a few sites, that it wasnt fully mature. however, both this one, and the ones from last year were cracking open.

i read elsewhere, that some people kept theirs anyways and they still grew. was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this.

• taurustendency
    Original Author
    10 years ago

just an update on this oddity ive been having:

i keep getting more pods of the white seeds even though they are ready and starting to split on their own. ive waited on some of them so long that they are fully cracked open and i can freely see the seeds down inside the pod, while still on the plant. but the thing ive now noticed...is that they are all coming from 'spiritual corridor.'

any ideas?

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Can you post a pic of what you are seeing?

• Ed
    10 years ago

I had some seedlings out of LULLABY BABY, maybe ten years ago, that made seed that were pearly white at maturity. They germinated and grew like normal black seeds. You may have a similar situation. The test is to try germinating a few of them.
    Good luck, Ed

• weedyseedy
    10 years ago

I found some this AM that were large, white, misshapen. I think they got wet because of so much rain and I am going to try to germinate them as I am afraid drying them will kill them. Since they are flava-minor crosses they will probably live thru the winter. Actually, one year I planted seeds outside on August 11 and they did fine.-----------------------------------------Weedy

• taurustendency
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry juliany, i cant seem to get any pics up. its my poor internet. we live in the boonies where anything high speed is not an option yet. we tried satellite for awhile but when that was worse than dial-up they told us we needed to cut down half of our forest, to get it out of the way of the line to the sat sight. we said, no way! so for now we use a broadband card, that uses cell phone signal. needless to say, the cell signal is not very good in the boonies either! some days are better than others, and usually i can get pics up on facebook...but not here. maybe i will get a good signal day on here soon. i would love to share some pics too.