Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

A few from Wednesday

shive
9 years ago

I'm down to only about 30 still blooming on this wonderfully cool day.

HUSH LITTLE BABY

TRANCE with some SHELBY on the side. Trance is always a magnificent clump late in the season.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS was looking particularly good today. The color is much deeper and more of a true purple when temps are in the 70s.

MISS GOLDIE GOLD DIGGER continues to be a showy clump.

CHEROKEE STAR

BEST FOR LAST in full sun at the end of the day.

KENTUCKY LUCKY had another beautiful clump today.

TIFFANY SHADE has very short scapes this year.

AMBER FINALE is always a great late.

CAROLINA COOL DOWN is down to its last two buds. It is my favorite Davisson. I just love the color!

STROLLING IN THE ROSES at the end of the day

Debra

Comments (12)

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

WOW!!! Debra. They are all just beautiful.HUSH LITTLE BABY is a beauty.I really like that one.WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS is a very pretty one, too.love that purple.
    CHEROKEE STAR is a bright one,and so pretty, too.
    KENTUCKY LUCKY is a beauty, too, as well, as this last one which is my favorite on today. they are all so pretty.
    Thank you for the great show.

jean

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

What a striking clump shot of Miss Goldie--blooms are so symmetrically spaced! It's interesting how colors change in cool temps. Your Amber Finale looks much more pinkish. Temps in the 70s--quite unusual, isn't it, for mid-July?

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mantis - Yes, temperatures in the 70s for most of the day are very rare here, yet we've had a couple of waves of this cool weather. I certainly won't complain. It's far better than the mid 90 we had a couple of days ago.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

You may be down to the nitty gritty, but how pretty are they? Best for Last impresses me quite a bit if this is a late in the day bloom. Still a nice color and form. On my list (you always get to me with your pinks -lol). I think I just saw Hush Little Baby on that value for your dollar list from 14 years ago. Apparently it's still earning a place in your garden. Nice....Cherokee Star is eye catching too. I'm trying to learn not to compare daylily red with rose red, and CS is very appealing to me under that criteria.....Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maryl - I think Hush Little Baby will still be sold years from now because of its nice form and deep, saturated color. And it blooms from mid to very late in the season here. Some people say it reblooms well, but mine is planted in too much shade to do that. Cherokee Star is a very vibrant red. I would recommend it. Best for Last is a terrific late, and along with Kentucky Lucky are my very best late bloomers.

Debra

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Hush Little Baby is such a standout pink, and you know I love Strolling in the Roses. That one's already on my wish list.

I don't grow Tiffany Shade. Was it more pink last year?

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tiffany Shade is a blend that Curt calls soft raspberry. It looked more lavender that raspberry yesterday in the cool temps. I've never seen it as pink as the catalog photo. It's usually sort of a dark red violet here in hotter temps. The color in the photo below is what I usually get.

Debra

• nat4b
    9 years ago

My two favorites shots are Miss Goldie and Trance with Shelby - all those curls! I also like Best For Last and Kentucky Lucky. You have beautiful lates!

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

CAROLINA COOL DOWN is my favorite. KENTUCKY LUCKY has not started blooming here yet. Nice grouping. Lots of colors.

Julia

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I really like that clump of Trance. Cherokee Star looks like a great red, & if that is an end of the day photo of Strolling in the Roses, I would probably lose my mind if I saw it early :) Gorgeous.

• njmomma
    9 years ago

Now I need Kentucky Lucky. My wish list keeps growing. Thanks for all the great pics!

• deangreen
    9 years ago

those red and yellow ones are always attention grabbing. great clump! I also like the solid peachy ones. nice. :)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm