Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Some Splendid Clumps Before Decline

mantis__oh
9 years ago

Since not all plants participated, there was never a normal peak here. But a number of cultivars had nice clump displays before the decline which is now setting in.

Soft Summer Night (old, but lovely)

Atlas Shrugged Aptly described by Hanson as brawny and masculine:

Roman Cohort (sends up immediate rebloom scapes) Huge flower:

Paco Bell Don't know if it always blooms this low.

Passion for Red

South Seas

Border Lord Unfortunately, this display was on a bright sunny day, so I had to get an early morning shot, which of course, distorted the colors with a bluing effect.

Please Say Yes Taken in afternoon during a cloudy break:

Heavenly Angel Ice (close-up)

Highland Pinched Fingers The blooms appear more orange (less yellow effect) in reality:

Never Get Away

Land of Cotton

Born to Run (best flowers of the season and a close-up)

Blue Pink Beauty

Peggy Jeffcoat

Sherry Lane Carr

Gillian

Orange Velvet

Big Bird

Lemon Velvet (a close-up--not a large flower)

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 14:11

Comments (13)

• maximus7116
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The pink clumps appeal to me most, along with Please Say Yes. Heavenly Angel Ice is out of here this year: it's too spindly, low scapes and I've given it enough time in a prime spot in the garden. I know everyone else loves it, but it just doesn't perform for me.

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

The clump shots are super. It's really hard to pick a favorite. I love Heavenly Angel Ice....I think I will get that one. Also really like RC, BTR, and LG. I really hate to see the wind down on bloom season, I always hope that at least some will try to rebloom, and extend the season a little.

Linda

• shive
    9 years ago

All your clumps have star power. The ones that most appeal to me are Blue Pink Beauty and Lemon Glow.

Debra

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

WOW!!!! you got some gorgeous clumps. They are all so pretty.cant pick no favorite out of them,but, I do love that
    PASSION FOR RED. LAND OF COTTON is a very nice one, too. love BLUE PINK BEAUTY TOO.and that LEMON GLOW is a beauty, too and PEGGY JEFFCOAT. all so pretty.

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Wow, nice group of clump shots. Need to go back and look again :-)

Julia

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

You really grow some nice daylilies. Those clumps are so pretty. I truly mean it when I say I can't pick a favorite. You've manage to capture just what I see of Sherry Lane Carr. I was trying to get a shot of her last night, but couldn't do it. Yours says it all..........Maryl

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Heavenly Angel Ice is so frilly and pretty, and I love Paco Bell. Really pretty clumps.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Awesome clump shots! Highland Pinched Fingers is my favorite.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Beautiful flowers! I especially like Highland Pinched Fingers, Blue Pink Beauty and Lemon Velvet. Born To Run has such pretty colors. And nice shot of Sherry Lane Carr. Love this one, nice big flowers, and I like that it's taller than registered.

• wren_garden
    9 years ago

Breath taking, just stunning. I love clump shots. To see many of one variety, each with it's own tilt and posture shows it's true flavor. This chorus of color and form is what entices me to want a variety in my garden. Thanks for the inspiration.

• gonegardening
    9 years ago

Lol at your title...we can't just have "Some Splendid Clumps"?

Sigh...I do love Paco Bell but I cannot say it is tall (enough) here. A few of the scapes seemed a bit taller this year, but that may be because I root for it. When I first saw it in GA, it was not a shortie, just average. What's with that? I mean, I have clay, too...lol.

Of course, I love HAI and PJ, so they can do no wrong. :)

Born to Run is a stunning flower. I bought it in full bloom (potted) at Floyd Cove after the FL convention. I took picture after picture. It was...beyond amazing. I called the neighbors over to have a look (lol). And then, I planted it....when it finally dwindled to two tiny fans with a tiny scape with two buds, I had to concede defeat. I wish I could have made it happy. (*wipes tears*...haha, I do love a bit of drama!)

Blue Pink Beauty has tall strong scapes here, once it settled in. Pretty flower.

Happy to see pictures of your clumps...before the decline...(couldn't resist)...

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful groups--my favs are Roman Cohort, Blue Pink Beauty, Highland Pinched Fingers, and South Seas. Avedon

• deangreen
    9 years ago

great great clumps!! thanks for the pics. I can't choose a favorite. I like the highland pinched photos is the most vivid for sure! I don't like flowers like the Paco Bell one, but in a clump, also very attention grabbing. :) I've heard comments about all the rain this year saying it made the daylilies too short, or too tall, or not enough branching as usual... ha. :)