Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

No Shows this season

shive
9 years ago

I guess it's a result of the harsh winter, but several of my daylilies are not blooming this season. Is anyone else experiencing this? Among my daylilies that haven't scaped are Baja California, No Boys Allowed, Divinely Blessed, Asian Fairy Bluebird, Cerulean Warbler, Jenny Butterfield, Faberge Easter,Meet Joe Black, Beyond the Sea, Lady Betty Fretz, Gilded by Grace, One Dreamer, and Magnificent Dad.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 9:09

Comments (12)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

As you know I grow many of mine in pots. The ones that survived winter were set back I think and after a cooler then normal spring I'm not having a banner year for growth or bloom on many of them. It's not horrible, but I've had better........Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Not that I've seen yet. Lower budcount on some. All of mine are in the ground .

Julia

• jkayd_il5
    9 years ago

The only one I have on your list is Lady Betty Fretz and she made it through our winter. Is she in a pot? I sometimes have a daylily not bloom for a season too. Maybe they just need a rest??

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The only one growing in a pot of the ones I listed is Baja California. Since I've lived here in Nashville, we've never had had temps go down near zero for a prolonged period before. In fact, usually there are only a few days when it's below 32 degrees. Most that I listed were not mulched, and we got the cold without the snow cover. Cerulean Warbler and Divinely Blessed have done this after cold winters before. But I've never had a problem with the others blooming. I have other daylily clumps where only one fan out of several put up scapes. I guess I need to mulch all beds from now on - just in case Old Man Winter comes for a long visit again.

Debra

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I moved several daylilies last fall that seem to be missing-Mee ying, Tigereye Spider, Hot Lava, Inherited Wealth, & Southwestern Design . I'm hoping I just forgot where I moved them & they will show up next year. I think a couple probably will, I have a couple of small clumps that haven't bloom & don't have a tag. I especially would hate to have lost Tigereye Spider, Hot Lava & Southwestern Design. Hot Lava was only a couple of fans, so i can understand losing it over this winteralthough they were nice healthy fans. Tigereye Spider & Southwestern Design were nice clumps. i divided Tigereye Spider & swapped some of it, but I just moved SD in a clump somewhere, I really don't see it dying. Same for Mee Ying, but Inherited wealth had been struggling where it was so I moved it, it was only a couple of smallish fans so I can see it dying.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancy - I hope you find those, and they are not completely gone. The ones I mentioned still have fans. They just didn't scape. I guess I'm lucky to not have lost them. A couple more that haven't scaped are Regal Fantasy and Spacecoast Fringe. I also have several in pots that haven't scaped, but I don't know what they are because the labels faded.

Debra

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Oh that's too bad they won't flower. From those I only have Gilded by Grace and it had its FFO today - small and poor opening.
    Our winters are always harsh and this one was not an exception. I'm not sure about the temperatures without snow cover. But, so far I have almost all my daylilies with the scapes! The ones that barely survived don't have scapes but that's to be expected.
    Other than that only Quest for Excalibur doesn't have scapes (but it only flowered once for me in 4 years) and Super Mama which looks fine though a bit smaller than it used to be.
    I transplanted several clumps this spring and last fall, they have scapes but the flowers are way smaller than usual. I don't know anymore when is the good time to move them..

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

I don't have any on your list, but I have plenty that didn't bloom or even send up a scape,and I have lost a few, and have some others that lost part of the fans they had.the ones I lost was planted,only lost one or two that was in pots. I say one, but,could be 2 of them.we have had bad winters here before, but ,it stayed cold longer this year.

jean

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Meet Joe Black also didn't bloom here, after many years in the ground.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I got off on a different thread of thought, guess you can tell I'm quite peeved to lose those daylilies :) I usually lose a daylily or 2 in the heat of summer, not winter.
    I started off trying to say that, while most all of my daylilies have scaped except the ones I moved, I don't think I've had as much blooms as usual-not all the fans have scapes & not as many buds. For ex, Wedding Gown has fans, all mature fans that bloomed last year, & only 1 fan bloomed. Scapes tend to be taller this year on many plants though, which I like.

• lynxe
    9 years ago

Hello all....haven't been around in quite some time, but I'm glad I stopped by! A nearby daylily friend and I were just discussing this very topic. I have many scapes still forming on daylilies that I know for sure should have been in bloom by now - a few that come to mind are BROWN WITCH, FLYING TRAPEZE, ALMIRA BUFFALO BONE JACKSON, TIME STOPPER, BEYOND THE SKY. In fact, the garden is full of scapes and buds. So much has been delayed by the long, cold winter I think.

I do not have any scapes at all on MARILYN MORSS JOHNSON. The plant is still there, so I should be glad for that. My friend, only about 12-15 min. away but a bit south and probably at a lower elevation, has blooms on hers. FFO for her was yesterday.

Debra, of the ones you mentioned, I grow only NO BOYS ALLOWED. It's in bloom, starting a couple of days ago and the flowers are fabulous thanks to the abundant rain and cooler weather we've had over the past few nights.

I had ASIAN FAIRY BLUEBIRD but it didn't survive its first year here. It's registered as a sev, and it was planted next to Mort Morss's BEYOND THE SKY, a stunning ev that seems to be impervious to zone 6 winters. Go figure.

Another one that's doing nothing so far is a Westbourne. I need to check the name. Got it last spring, I think, and it's precisely the same size as it was then. It looks like it emerged only a week or two ago. It simply refuses to grow.

I'm actually having fantastic bloom on many of the ones that actually are blooming. The colors are superb.

But scapes in many cases are shorter than in previous years. I have one daylily with three scapes; of the three, one's at or near its registered height of 45". But one scape got damaged somehow and is all twisted. Result is from tip of bloom to ground is about 22". Talk about a really weird plant. Many FFOs have been downright ugly, and many would have been unrecognizable had it not been for the labels. For example, had I seen VERTICAL HORIZON only as an FFO, I could easily have yanked that ugly thing out of the ground. Today, by contrast, it's very good.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

No shows: Cerulean Warbler, Crazy Ivan, Winners Trophy, Parrot Jungle, and a couple of Munsons that have become too shaded. Only a couple blooms on Spacecoast Eye for Passion that usually reblooms.

kay

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES