Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roswitha

Posted by handyman67 OH 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 2:34

So, middle of spring I purchased Roswitha from one of the bigbox retailers, it wasnt blooming yet, but the craving for new daylilies was overwhelming.

I divided it and have it currently on either side of the walk way to the front door.

It receives full sun all day and bloomed quite well for going thru the transplant and getting divided in one day.

Now to my question's...

While doing some general upkeep in the front bed and trimming off spent scapes and such, I noticed that fully 1/3-1/2 of Roswithas spent scapes had proliferation's on them and that it was re-blooming(3-way branching,5-8 buds per branch).

I checked at AHS and various other daylily sites, no mention of rebloom or proliferation anywhere. Could this be the result of tissue culture or is it just not Roswitha at all?

Donald

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roswitha

I don't have it, but it looks like pics of Roswitha I remember.
AHS db doesn't mention prolifs. And I have some DLs that are not registered as rebloomers but they rebloom.
No idea if prolifs or rebloom could be side effects of tissue culture, I mostly hear of worse performance or not looking quite like the original.

ETA: I just did a quick google search and found at least 2 links mentioning Roswitha and proliferation

This post was edited by nat4b on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 23:47

o

Thank you for responding

o

I hesitated to respond because I'm not so sure about my Roswitha. I looked for a photo, but I guess I deleted the only photo I had of it. I've had mine for, maybe,10 years. Started out several fans, but immediately shrank to 1 fan & has remained that. Few blooms each year, although they are always lovely, but during that entire time, only 1 bloom was double. No prolifs. I can't remember where I got it, maybe a trade, but I suspect mine is not Roswitha, or maybe it is tissue culture or seedling. I've always heard that tissue cultured plants perform worse also. I would certainly be delighted if mine did as well as yours.

o

ngraham...

When I got mine this year I specifically got the pot that had enough fans so that I could divide it for either side of the walkway to the front door.

Those same 3 fan divisions have doubled the # of fans, the first flush of blooms have the proliferation, but the rebloom scapes are showing no signs of proliferations.

I'll see what happens next year, since they'll be settled in, but I may have to move and divide them again next year, if they continue to increase at this rate...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here