Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora2b_gw

Late bloomers vs Rebloomer

flora2b
10 years ago

Just wondering what your experiences are........to extend the season?
Do you prefer late bloomers or rebloomers or both?
Where I live, I'm not sure if I can rely on rebloom so maybe having some late bloomers would make more sense, just not really sure?
Any criteria I can use to sort this out?
Not a daylily, but one of my Orientpets.
Pics always appreciated....:-)
Thanks,
Flora

Comments (21)

• dementieva
    10 years ago

I've gotten the impression that people in the north with short summers should generally go with late bloomers and high bud counts/bud builders to extend the season.

People in the south with longer summers have more options, but rebloomers can keep the bloom going even after the late bloomers are finished.

Nate

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I'm in Z5a Ontario. I seldom have repeats so mostly have late bloomers as they are more reliable. Marg

• nat4b
    10 years ago

I'd take both :) But probably late bloomers. The season is so short that lates here start while earlies are still blooming. Rebloom is instant so those that have it just bloom a little longer.
    Another thing is how they 'stretch' their buds. I love when they open 7-10 flowers every day but then they bloom out quickly, so maybe steady 1-3 flowers a day for a longer period of time is better? I don't know :)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

It varies for me. This year, for some reason (slugs? thrips? odd weather?) the reblooms have been much prettier than the original blooms were. Also, I haven't found as much variety in the late bloomers...probably just me, but there it is.
    kay

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Flora that is a beautiful Orientpet!

No longer in z7 by the map, but I'm not totally convinced that this is 6b, either. Should plant a fig tree and see how that goes. But my most delight is in the Late instant rebloomers! I have one dip and one tet seedling that meet that criteria out of more than a dozen instant rebloomers, and the dip has the advantage of being an extended bloomer, open early and still open after midnight. It shines a whopper in the garden alright!

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Other late bloomers are still blooming in the garden too. Maybe I should check to see if they are also rebloom scapes. I've found crossing those Lates onto rebloom scape blooms of earlier daylilies yields a lot of late blooming seedlings, some of which rebloom, too.

• flora2b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the great comments....
    Love 'See you after midnight' Judyann.
    When I cross referenced the zone map between CAD and US, it appears I am zone 5 US. I think my climate is similiar temp wise to Margs; so reblooms likely to be few and far between. My older cultivars I have definately support that.
    So my search for lates with high bud count/ext blm is now on.....dips over tets? Need hardiness.
    Neat idea...crossing lates onto E, EM, M with reblm = possible late, instant reblms?
    What are your lates that you love?
    Thanks again for being so helpful.
    Flora
    I don't know if I posted this FFO seedling before...sadly one of my last FFO's this year.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

It is a very pretty seedling.
    kay

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Flora, I have Apricot Supreme Ruffles, Strutter's Ball and Leebea Orange Crush flowering right now. All are strong growers and high bud counts. Strutter's Ball isn't quite as high as the others but it still looks good with them. Marg

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

That's a beauty, Flora. The edge says "tet" to me but the ruffles and broadness of petal say "dip". Does it have converted dips in its recent background?

My dear sweet Girly Girl has always been great to rebloom, so it was momma to some of my lates. Autumn Wood is a good late to cross with anything reblooming.

As far as hardy, a friend said in N. Michigan where she lives she got rebloom on Delicate Lady and it didn't mind the cold at all. It's a hard dormant. That would be key to finding something hardy, make sure it's dormant.

Unfortunately, I'm at the wrong computer to attach pictures. Yes, I know I need to get pictures sent to the AHS database too!

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Here's a photo of Girly Girl.

One I thought I would be able to move to the late category was Ultimate Perfection, but just opened a seed pod with no good seeds. Unfortunately, it didn't bloom late enough, though it put on a spectacular show while it did bloom!

• flora2b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judyann, you are so right.......Janet Benz and Smith Lake Princess - both these parents have converted genes. I'm hoping the bud/branch improve in coming years.

Girly girl is real pretty and Autumn Wood looks like it would make nice babies.

Marg....I really like the rich color of Strutters ball as well.

When does your late season start and do you grow VL or just L.......wondering if the season could end before the flowers?

I think I'm going to try finding some seed crosses that are dormant lates with earlier reblooms having great bud/branching counts........hopefully from more northern breeders so I get a more accurate idea of real branching/bud count here. I think Stamiles are fabulous, but just not realistic bud count for here.

Not a FFO, but one of my sdlg surprises that is showing a pattern
    Thanks again.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Beautiful seedling Flora! I love the pattern and the creamy edges on the sepals. Apricot Supreme Ruffles is still going strong but Strutter's Ball is on it's way out. My lates started the middle of July and will continue for a while yet. Another one that is a late/very late bloomer is Gossards Reach for the Heavens. It is 60" tall and a 10" flower.
    {{gwi:914961}}

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Love the orientpet! Just beautiful. I have no preferences about the late vs rebloomers. Elie

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Flora, that last seedling has a beautiful pattern! Good job!
    As for the lates, I have two old dips, not fancy and not for crossing, but reliable lates with lots of blooms. Frans Hals and Final Touch.

• flora2b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Elie,
    Marg.....Reach for the Heavens is going on my list.......look at the buds to come, is it just starting? I have a perfect place for real tall ones.
    Thanks again

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Flora, RFTH has been flowering for about 3 week but its just getting into its stride. I just went thru my garden and noted everything that was still blooming. Some only had a few buds left but a few were just starting. Some that still had quite a few buds were: South Seas, Elizabeth Frances Woodhall, Clearly Simplistic, Caught Red Handed, Black Eye, Give me Eight, Orchid Corsage, Glass Bead Game, Margo Reed Indeed (just starting) and Peach Magnolia.

• flora2b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Marg for taking the time to see what is still going strong in your garden. I will check these all out. Getting lots of great ideas from everyone.
    Much appreciated.
    Flora

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Flora one I forgot to mention was Panty Candy. It is just now covered with buds.

{{gwi:914963}}

• flora2b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a name.......the flower is just gorgeous and definitely what I'm looking for though. Interesting that it is listed as a midseason bloomer. I have quite a few midseason sdlgs........maybe I need to wait and see if some end up being later.
    Thanks again,
    Flora

• shive
    10 years ago

To have daylilies blooming in late summer, I have a combination of MLs with high bud count, lates and very lates. I have loads of rebloomers, but only a few rebloom in August and September. Most of the rebloom takes place in late June and early July here.

Both your seedlings are lovely!

Debra

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH