Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annececilia

Stripes?

I've been intrigued by the few striped petal daylilies I've seen on the Lily Auction this summer. 'Diva in Zebra' (for example) is a bit pricey for me, but very attractive and there have been a few others - all above my self-imposed budget limit per plant. Are striped daylilies truly that rare? Anyone here have any? What are your thoughts on them?
Anne

Comments (7)

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

I had one a few years ago, I can't recall the name, perhaps white stripe. It had white flowers. It hardly bloomed, was really weak & sickly. I felt that perhaps health had been bred out of it, After a few years I got rid of it.
    Brad

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

I haven't seen any with stripes, but, I doubt I would like them at all as I don't even like the midribs showing in the daylilies.

jean

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is a White Stripe on the Lily Auction - I see it has variegated foliage as well. Perhaps that is part of the reason it was a weak plant for you, Brad. The flower itself didn't do much for me, but I am tempted by Diva in Zebra and wish I had bid on one of the three Pink Stripe offers I saw on the Auction this summer. I was just wondering if there were more like those out there.
    And then there are stripes like Cat Ballou - that one really knocks me out. ;-) But it is more a bold patterned striping and not the random streaks of colors in the others I previously mentioned.
    I don't know why the stripes in these daylilies appeal to me; I don't generally like stripes in roses, and like Jean I don't much like the DLs with bold white midribs, either. Ah well, I am just exploring this fascinating world of daylilies - there is so much to see!

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

I will say that Cat Ballou is a nice vigorous grower. I am very pleased with it.
    kay

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kay, thanks for your experience with Cat Ballou - that makes me more sure about it being on my 'someday' list, not just a wish list.
    TooManyRoses, thank so much for your site! Your link did not work, but I easily googled the name and found it. So much to look at there! I love the stippled daylilies just like I always had a soft spot for the Buck roses with stippling. I understand what you're saying about the pricing and I will just have to save up to add a few stripes or stipples to my modest collection some day! Meanwhile, thanks for the photos on your site. I know I will spend time going back to look again and again (and at the roses, too.) :-)

• gothiclibrarian
    9 years ago

toomanyroses thank you for the info!

Your friend's future intro is absolutely beautiful (http://www.loborose.com/Elaine_s_stripey.jpg) Always nice to see another Hoosier on the boards too...I don't get on here often enough but I try to say hi when I can.

I don't have any striped daylilies (yet) but I do have a soft spot for variegated roses...I've had several over the years but I think my favorite that I still grow is Camaïeux.

Cheers!
    ~Anika

This post was edited by gothiclibrarian on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 11:40