Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stripes?

Posted by annececilia z5a/N.Michigan (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 6:27

I've been intrigued by the few striped petal daylilies I've seen on the Lily Auction this summer. 'Diva in Zebra' (for example) is a bit pricey for me, but very attractive and there have been a few others - all above my self-imposed budget limit per plant. Are striped daylilies truly that rare? Anyone here have any? What are your thoughts on them?
Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stripes?

I had one a few years ago, I can't recall the name, perhaps white stripe. It had white flowers. It hardly bloomed, was really weak & sickly. I felt that perhaps health had been bred out of it, After a few years I got rid of it.
Brad

o

I haven't seen any with stripes, but, I doubt I would like them at all as I don't even like the midribs showing in the daylilies.

jean

o

There is a White Stripe on the Lily Auction - I see it has variegated foliage as well. Perhaps that is part of the reason it was a weak plant for you, Brad. The flower itself didn't do much for me, but I am tempted by Diva in Zebra and wish I had bid on one of the three Pink Stripe offers I saw on the Auction this summer. I was just wondering if there were more like those out there.
And then there are stripes like Cat Ballou - that one really knocks me out. ;-) But it is more a bold patterned striping and not the random streaks of colors in the others I previously mentioned.
I don't know why the stripes in these daylilies appeal to me; I don't generally like stripes in roses, and like Jean I don't much like the DLs with bold white midribs, either. Ah well, I am just exploring this fascinating world of daylilies - there is so much to see!

o

I collect striped and stippled daylilies. There are not that many yet.... Pink Stripes, Plum Striped, Augie's Unique Beauty, Cherry Stripes, Explosion In The Paint Factory, Fizziwig, Hair Brain, Yankee Pinstripes, Tande, Lovely Margie, Cyclone Twister, Bananas In Pajamas, Doctor Strange Love, Peppermint Ice, Shattered, Diva In Zebra,and Streaks N Strokes. There are a few others coming out within the next few years. Like any new introduction, the prices on new stripes are high. And they are as strong as any other daylily. I'd even go as far as to say a couple of the stripes are among the most vigorous plants I have (2800+). Here is a link to my Stripes page on my website. I need to update more pictures but there are several you can see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lobo Rose & Daylily Garden

o

I will say that Cat Ballou is a nice vigorous grower. I am very pleased with it.
kay

o

Kay, thanks for your experience with Cat Ballou - that makes me more sure about it being on my 'someday' list, not just a wish list.
TooManyRoses, thank so much for your site! Your link did not work, but I easily googled the name and found it. So much to look at there! I love the stippled daylilies just like I always had a soft spot for the Buck roses with stippling. I understand what you're saying about the pricing and I will just have to save up to add a few stripes or stipples to my modest collection some day! Meanwhile, thanks for the photos on your site. I know I will spend time going back to look again and again (and at the roses, too.) :-)

o

toomanyroses thank you for the info!

Your friend's future intro is absolutely beautiful (http://www.loborose.com/Elaine_s_stripey.jpg) <3

Always nice to see another Hoosier on the boards too...I don't get on here often enough but I try to say hi when I can.

I don't have any striped daylilies (yet) but I do have a soft spot for variegated roses...I've had several over the years but I think my favorite that I still grow is Camaïeux.

Cheers!
~Anika

This post was edited by gothiclibrarian on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 11:40

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here