Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dani_plus_2

Did your season seem shorter this year?

dani_plus_2
10 years ago

I'm a little sad this year! Seems like my season was super short....just July. I have a tops of 5 lilies on their last few blooms and then a few lates, but that's It. I feel robbed! :op

Waahhhhh.....

Dani

Comments (12)

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

Not here in Florida. We had an extremely warm January, followed by two brief cold snaps in February.

The very first daylily to bloom for us was Butterscotch Ruffles, which started blooming on March 15th, despitethe two Feby freezes, and is still sending up scapes. It's not the most interesting daylily around, but it certainly is prolific. Add to that the fact that I knew Wilbur Harling (the hybridizer) and his wife, and it's a keeper.

Other cultivars started in early April, and the scapes are still coming.

We've had a fairly (almost normally) wet July and early August, which has probably contributed to the reblooms.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

At first I thought the season would be short here, it was about 3 weeks late. Now I've noticed that a lot of my M-L bloomers are really still blooming and also I have one VL that is coming on strong. So I guess my season isn't quite as short as I thought it would be!

• dementieva
    10 years ago

I'm still getting some reblooms, but the prime bloom season was shorter. I think last year was just an amazing spring for daylilies.

My first true spring bloom (DOUBLE DOWN) was a week later than last year, and my first "day without a daylily" was approximately a month earlier than last year -- July 11, 2013 vs. Aug. 8 2012.

Nate

• shive
    10 years ago

Even though it started late, this is one of my longest seasons ever. The earliest blooms started the first week of June, but most of the early bloomers did not start until June 13-17. I still have several lates blooming, with Purple Corn Dancer just starting this week, and Ruffled Strawberry Parfait still to begin blooming. Also my lates that rebloom actually have rebloom scapes this year. So I'm anticipating having blooms at least until the end of this month - maybe even on into September.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 13:20

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

It started late, but I'm not sure it is going to end before frost. I found three more with re-bloom scapes. I'm posting maybe twice a week, soon maybe once, a long season.

I wish it would cool off so I could get outside and work without DH being sure I'm going to have a heat stroke.

kay

• nat4b
    10 years ago

It is always short, in comparison. But this year seems to be normal. My first opened at the very end of June, and now most of what's left are on their last buds.

• dani_plus_2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I feel left out! Maybe it's because of the drought last year? I know that branching and budcount is not as good as usual...

Dani

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

I don't feel that it was shorter than usual but I do feel like those of us in zones 5 or below ALWAYS have a short season....lol. I always feel let down because there is no such thing as rebloom here and the daylily season only runs from July to mid-August. So I know what you mean about feeling left out, especially when others are getting rebloom and have had months of daylilies to enjoy.

Celeste

• growgirl
    10 years ago

Yes! At least to me :) I think it was the fact that peak hit me a week or more late and when it hit it exploded and, ended up lasting a bit longer too. Then, alot of them seemed to be done all at once. In years past it just seemed that the blooms were more steady up to and after a shorter peak period. Makes me sad!

• taurustendency
    10 years ago

yes, i agree. it did not ease slowly into it, or out of it...just came all at once. i remember last year at this time, we were still out doing crosses. this year, we have nothing left to cross and have been harvesting pods in a mad dash. we are totally out of flat surface in the house for drying pods/seeds. usually i have enough time to rotate them in and out on a small bakers rack...but since they came all at once, i have stuff everywhere! ive never seen a more disorganized and rediculous operation. so far, i think the count last night was 81 viable crosses and they all came in, in about a 3 day span. just a few more pods to pluck here and there, and we are completely done. i dont know about other central missourians, but yeah, it seemed really short to us.

• dani_plus_2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sadly atleast I am not alone. I had to get some seeds started in the basment just to "feed my need",

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I don't know if mine is shorter or not, but, it sure seems like it is, to me.My first bloom this year was on May 12, and last year I had a first bloom on april 19th, The year before I had my first bloom on may 8th.forgot to write down when the lasy blooms was.this year,I still have blooms on Rosy Rhino and last reward,and wonder of it all has a bloom today,and Pain the town red has a bloom, and oktobefest has a bloom, too.Beautiful Edging finished yesterday.. now last year I had blooms on Pandora's Treaure in October..

jean