Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growgirl_gw

Suggestions for late blooming Munson's

growgirl
14 years ago

I need some help...... I have limited space and NEED to add more Munson cultivars but, I want late bloomers. The only late bloomers I have are Victorian Days and I just bought Capistrano Bells. Enable me please.......

Comments (9)

• Julia WV (6b)
    14 years ago

Your post had me curious if Munson did have any late bloomers. I like Munson's too :-). Here is what I found by doing a search on the AHS database. Not sure if these are truly lates for zone 5. Surprised to see only 6 came up
    Not alot of options.
    Carved Cameo (MUNSON-I., 1971)
    height 26", bloom 4.5", season La, Rebloom, Evergreen, Diploid, Flesh pink self with cream green throat. (SLEEPING BEAUTY X SATIN GLASS)

Celebration (MUNSON-R.W., 1962)
    height 38", season La, Evergreen, Diploid, Blend of ivory cream flushed pink with chartreuse throat.

Gossamer Light (MUNSON-R.W., 1983)
    height 28", bloom 6", season La, Rebloom, Evergreen, Tetraploid, Fragrant, Lemon cream blend with yellow throat. (LILAC SNOW X TUSCAWILLA)

Soliloquy (MUNSON-R.W., 1959)
    height 42", season La, Evergreen, Diploid, Melon pink self with green gold throat. (EBB TIDE X sdlg)

Summer Lilac (MUNSON-R.W., 1982)
    height 38", bloom 6", season La, Semi-Evergreen, Tetraploid, Orchid lilac with cream lilac eyezone and cream throat. (WIND CONCERTO X TETRA CHOSEN LOVE)

Sun Dial (MUNSON-R.W., 1960)
    height 38", season La, Evergreen,, Yellow tinted melon self.

Perhaps someone on the forum may grow some of these. Good luck. Hope you find something.

• growgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! I never thought of looking it up on the AHS website. I will have to try that out in the future. I am going to have to check these out. For me, anything that just started putting out blooms this week is what I consider late for my garden...I hope that will help! Thanks again for your help, its much appreciated.

• dayliliesrus
    14 years ago

Good luck in finding those... Those early munsons are generally very very hard to find. His tet varieties are normally early to mid bloomers. In fact my Victorian Days blooms EM with the others..Never has bloomed late.

• Julia WV (6b)
    14 years ago

growgirl: Try Rainbow Reflections Daylilies to see what Munsons she carries. She had a whole section dedicated to Munsons. She may be of some help to you.

dayliliesrus: Victorian Days is registered as M per the AHS database so I guess it won't bloom late. It seems to be blooming for you when it should.

• dayliliesrus
    14 years ago

Cheryl has great Munsons! She got interested in them simply because they are great flowers and also because her maiden name was Munson! No relation though!! Another great place to buy from is Gene Wynn in Florida. His website is: http://www.wynnsdaylilygarden.com

I had approximately 650 Munsons before the drought of the last few years in the South. I lost a good many of them during this time but surprisingly alot survived and even thrived!! I do not know right now how many I have but it should be about 500 give or take a few.

• Nancy Barginear
    14 years ago

PERSIAN MARKET has bloomed later this year for me, and is still going strong! In fact, the blooms are larger than they were to start with. We went 131 days without rain this year, and of course, I kept them watered.

So far this year, I haven't been able to get it to set a pod.

Nancy

• maximus7116
    14 years ago

I'm in Michigan, too, and grow a ton of Munsons. Many of mine are still going strong, and a few just recently started blooming.

Check these out:

SANOMA FALLS
    CHATEAU DE FLEUR
    CHINA LAKE
    CHINA VEIL
    AFRICAN GRAPE
    KABUKI BALLET
    TIFFANY GOLD
    INCA PRINCE
    SUVA
    BALLENTREA
    CHAMONIX (just finished)
    GLENDEVON
    NAIROBI NIGHT
    CORAL ROCK
    IMPERIAL INCA
    ROYAL SARACEN
    ALVATINE TAYLOR YATES
    VICTORIAN DAYS

Most of these are listed as EM with a few mid-season bloomers in the bunch, but they bloom later in my garden. ATY and AG are both ML.

Chris

• growgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dayliliesrus and juliany - Thanks for the suggestion for Rainbow Reflections. Awesome website and great eye candy. I will have to try her out!

Nancy - I will have to look up Persian Market, I imagine if it is still going strong for you it must have a pretty good bud count!

Chris - I only have 2 or 3 of the ones on your list and this will help me out alot! Most of the Munson's I have (few compared to most people) are going strong still but, I need some more that will keep my Victorian Days company. It just started blooming and always is loaded with buds. I am off to check these out. BTW, have you ever planted bare root in September with any luck?

Amy

• maximus7116
    14 years ago

Amy, I think I planted in early September with no problem. I haven't done it for a few years, but I think I just shoved some mulch around the daylilies after I planted them and they overwintered fine.