Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dani_plus_2

Stupid question on seed pods/seeds

dani_plus_2
14 years ago

So everyone always says to check the top of the pods for cracking and then the seeds are ready. What if the side is starting to split? I'm assuming it's the same rule but I don't want to pluck the pod off too early or lose to seeds. Is it possible to put a little "collar" around it so the seeds don't fall out? LIke tin foil or something?

And, when you dry the seeds, they should'nt shrivel, right? Plump and firm, correct?

Thanks in advance...I just want to do this right the first time. There's a cross that I think is ready and I REALLY want it! Nothing special to many...but it's MINE!! Mmwwwoooohahahahaaaa! *smile*

Dani

Comments (10)

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

I pick the pods if it is cracked anywhere. Usually I pinch it between my thumb and forefinger and use gentle presssure to check to see if it is ready. If they crack, then I harvest them. I found if I let the seed pod open up all the way (it will do that eventually), a lot of my seeds are dried out and unviable. We have Texas heat of 105+ for extended periods.

The seeds shouldn't shrivel, if your lucky! Plump, firm and shiny.

Good luck with your crosses!

• timberohio
    14 years ago

I'm new with seeds as well. Most of the seeds I purchased and received last year and this spring were shriveled. Not severly like a raisin but not plump. I had good germination out of the ones last fall about 95%, but the ones this spring I had a 100% failure. Nothing germinated, all seeds rotted. I used the same method (on the rocks) in the fall as I did this spring. Not sure why there was such a drastic difference in the germination. I just figured I wouldn't order seeds in the spring from previous years crop again.

I thought all seed would shrivel when dried then you rehydrate them and they plum back up when you germinate? Boy I have so much to learn. Guess I'll figure out more once I harvest my own seeds and actually see the progression of drying to storing to germinating.

Andrea

• shive
    14 years ago

Some seeds do shrivel a bit when dried and are still viable. A lot of mine do and sprout well after rehydration. So if it's a cross, you really, really want, don't throw them away just because they shrivel a bit. I sell seeds on the Lily Auction and only sell the plump ones because buyers think the "raisiny looking" ones are bad. More than half of the raisiny ones I plant do germinate. Very large seeds often shrivel a bit if dried more than 24 hours.

Debra

• Ed
    14 years ago

Sometimes the pod will split on the sides before the pod starts turning brown. As long as the pod passes the pinch test and the split is not facing up to collect water, I let it continue to mature. If you're concerned, tie a little pantie-hose baggie over the pod. It allows the pod to breathe, but the seeds don't fall out.

Seeds will shrivel after they are shelled. How much depends on how long you dry them. I try to dry them at least 24 hours to make sure the area where they are attached to the pod is callused. Then I bag them and store in the crisper of the fridge. If you want to store them for a year or more, I suggest you dry them for 2 or 3 days before bagging.

Before bagging the seeds, make sure and inspect them carefully and cull any that are empty shells or soft. These are probably not viable and will get moldy and ruin the other seeds. Inspect the bags of seeds, or a random number of bags occasionally for any seeds that are moldy. If you find them, you have too much moisture in the bags. Put little pieces of paper towel in each bag to prevent the mold.
    Ed

• Nancy Barginear
    14 years ago

If you have a pod that has just one side splitting, I carefully open that section and remove the seeds. I leave the pod on the scape until the remainder is ready for harvest.

Nancy

• tepelus
    14 years ago

Question from me...I collected seeds from a pod that cracked open at the top, and the tiny seeds inside were already shriveled like raisins and I have had them drying for the last couple days and they are still soft. I take it they aren't any good? The pod was still green, though shriveling a bit and like said, cracked open at the top. I have another pod from the same cross that hasn't opened yet, hopefully those seeds will be plump and not shriveled.

Karen

• Ed
    14 years ago

I take it they aren't any good?

That would be my guess too.
    Mmwwwoooohahahahaaaa!
    Ed

• northerndaylily
    14 years ago

HIGH quality seed shrivels very little if any.. another genetic character passed on.. some plants just make good seeds.. and many others don't.

The 'raisin' type seed germinates at a low rate.. generally.

• dani_plus_2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey! You can't Mmwwwoooohahahahaaaa- I already did. I just think you wanted to say it. Fun, isn't it? *wink wink*

• Ed
    14 years ago

Taken from the Cedarthorn Gardens website, who's author claims to have Just 12 years experience:

I place them in a plain white envelope, marked with the cross identification. I leave the envelope at room temperature with the flap open so any moisture on the seeds will dry. After a couple days, the seeds will be thoroughly dry and somewhat shriveled (which is quite normal)

You can read the entire article at the link below. Or just Google 'Daylily seed germination'. The fact that daylily seeds normally lose moisture is very prevalent.

I have never heard of the quality of a daylily seed being related to how much moisture it will retain. I would have expected quality daylily seeds to reflect the parents from which it came, not the seeds ability to retain moisture. Perhaps northerdaylily, you could provide some reference material to enlighten me.

I do, I do like to say it! Mmwwwoooohahahahaaaa
    Wink, wink!
    Ed

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedarthorn Gardens/Our Hybridizing Program