Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitanoff_gw

Older clumps, better blooms?

mitanoff
14 years ago

After perusing this forum, I am getting the impression that a newly planted daylily may perform better as it gets older. Is this true?

This is my first year planting daylilies, and although I got blooms on most, the flowers have been sporadic and few. Is it possible that once it gets more established, that they will perform better?

For example: My 'First Knight' (planted just after frost) produced 3 flowers and that's it. Is this typical of this particular variety or can I look forward to a better show next year? I realize as it gets bigger (year after year), it will have more flowers, but that's not what I mean. Maybe I'm not explaining myself well. Arrgh.

Comments (4)

• uroboros5
    14 years ago

They do better over time, up to a point. If a mature clumps stops blooming, you can divide it, give it compost, and it will do better again.

• Edward_Kimball
    14 years ago

A daylily will do best once it has matured to a full clump. This can take 3 to 5 years. I am sure First Knight will do much better next year.

• timberohio
    14 years ago

Just because a daylily may be registered as 5 way branching with a 30 bud count down south don't expect to get that in your zone.

If you newly planted this spring give it a few years to adjust to your area. Then if it doesn't perform the way you want, try looking at where it is planted. You may try a different spot in your yard or move it out of your yard completely.

Order from Northern Hybridizers and gardens for plants that do well in you zone.

Hope this helps. Just a few tidbits I've learned from everyone on here.

Andrea

• greyhorse
    14 years ago

I have First Knight. In my garden it's not a fast increaser. The first year it didn't have a lot of blooms. The second year it was gorgeous -- a lot more flowers and a much richer color. Moved it last fall, and this year it had one scape of ho-hum blossoms. I'm not going to move it again soon! Other varieties can be brutally divided and transplanted and take up the next year right where they left off.